The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Emissionspectra
Teach me the ways, haha. So annoyed about Physics today! :frown:

Did you also fail the practical today? WJEC?

I'm not sure whether discussing it violates the exam discussion rules. I will say that (my paper) was pretty difficult. I'm sure I could have done better usually, but my graph was just horrendous :frown: The fact that 100% UMS is ~~45/48 just makes me cringe, I hope that doesn't cost me an A :/
Original post by Maths_Lover

STEP Philosophy time. :yep:

:woo:
Original post by Llewellyn
Did you also fail the practical today? WJEC?

I'm not sure whether discussing it violates the exam discussion rules. I will say that (my paper) was pretty difficult. I'm sure I could have done better usually, but my graph was just horrendous :frown: The fact that 100% UMS is ~~45/48 just makes me cringe, I hope that doesn't cost me an A :/

I found it easy, but i ran out of time in section B, all because i did the experiment properly and didn't make up my results, so I didn't get to calculate my gradient or do basically the last page, think i got full marks in section A though.
Reply 183
Urgh! Sorry - I had to do some menial chores. :sigh:

I assumed that it was too obvious that 4×2k4 \times 2^k was divisible by 8, so I said that it was divisible by 8, without rearranging it to make it 8×2k18\times 2^{k-1} first. :facepalm: Not even a proper mistake.

Once I learn some more F.Maths it will be. :tongue: I haven't tried any yet. I have looked aat them but I haven't attempted them. :lol:

Huzzah! Just done STEP I 2004 Q1. It's probably the most straightforward STEP question I have ever done.

I'll see if I have any interesting questions. :tongue:

Oh dear....rookie error:tongue:

Okay:smile:

That question I did in a maths lesson as it was set by my teacher. It took 15 mins tops. That was with distractions...
I found it easy, but i ran out of time in section B, all because i did the experiment properly and didn't make up my results, so I didn't get to calculate my gradient or do basically the last page, think i got full marks in section A though.

Ah, well it could have gone worse.

Section B stumped most of my class as well. 45mins is no where near enough time to do all of those readings + repeats + Changing the apparatus + calculations + plotting the graph + doing the questions to follow.

Especially compared to Chem and Biology, where there is essentially unlimited time to do the prac, and you can look at your notes mid way through! And then the physics marks are higher for good UMS :rolleyes:

Lol, I think everyone needs to nail ph2 now. Luckily most of it is very nice.
I have a question for you guys to try. This question has been sitting on a scrap piece of paper gathering dust in my chest of drawers. I haven't actually tried this yet, so I don't know the answer. It will be interesting to see what you guys come up with. :yep:

MATHS TIME:

Given that CC is the known limit of the sum 12cosθ+14cos2θ+18cos3θ+\displaystyle \frac{1}{2}\cos \theta + \frac{1}{4}\cos 2\theta + \frac{1}{8}\cos 3\theta + \cdots , what is the sum of A, where

A=12sinθ+14sin2θ+18sin3θ+\displaystyle A = \frac{1}{2}\sin \theta + \frac{1}{4}\sin 2\theta + \frac{1}{8}\sin 3\theta + \cdots ?
Original post by wcp100
Advanced extension award. It used to be available for most subjects until a*s were around. It still is available for maths. It's an extra, harder exam that you can sit.

Oh right, thanks. :biggrin: Are you going to sit it?

Thanks. :biggrin:

So is that for A2 candidates? :smile:

Huzzah! Just done STEP I 2004 Q1. It's probably the most straightforward STEP question I have ever done.

How did you solve the simultaneous equations for (ii)? It took me 2 sides of A4 of fiddling and substituting and factorising :s-smilie: I'm guessing there was probably an easy method I missed.
Original post by chickenonsteroids
:woo:

:lol:

Original post by wcp100
Oh dear....rookie error:tongue:

Okay:smile:

That question I did in a maths lesson as it was set by my teacher. It took 15 mins tops. That was with distractions...

I know. It was so obvious I couldn't be bothered and now it cost me 100%. :teehee:

Found one! :biggrin:

I was surprised at how easy it was... a reasonably clever GCSE student could do it. :yep:
How did you solve the simultaneous equations for (ii)? It took me 2 sides of A4 of fiddling and substituting and factorising :s-smilie: I'm guessing there was probably an easy method I missed.

TRIAL AND ERROR (which is a valid method). Like a baws. :smug:

You see, I am always looking for the quickest ways of doing such things - loads of extra unnecessary stuff does not interest me (maybe I'm just too lazy). I took one look at those simultaneous equations and thought: "No way am I going to do fiddly manipulations to solve these! :lolwut:" So, I looked at the question and it said that cc and dd were positive integers, so I took the easier looking simultaneous equation and tried reasoning sensible values that cc and dd could take. :yep: I got the correct values on the first attempt. :teehee:
(edited 11 years ago)
Ah, well it could have gone worse.

Section B stumped most of my class as well. 45mins is no where near enough time to do all of those readings + repeats + Changing the apparatus + calculations + plotting the graph + doing the questions to follow.

Especially compared to Chem and Biology, where there is essentially unlimited time to do the prac, and you can look at your notes mid way through! And then the physics marks are higher for good UMS :rolleyes:

Lol, I think everyone needs to nail ph2 now. Luckily most of it is very nice.

Ye very true :smile:
Original post by --emma--

Thanks. :biggrin:

So is that for A2 candidates? :smile:

You're welcome. :ahee:

Yes, it is based on the whole of A-Level Maths Core, so C1-C4. :smile:
TRIAL AND ERROR (which is a valid method). Like a baws. :smug:

You see, I am always looking for the quickest ways of doing such things - loads of extra unnecessary stuff does not interest me (maybe I'm just too lazy). I took one look at those simultaneous equations and thought: "No way am I going to do fiddly manipulations to solve these! :lolwut:" So, I looked at the question and it said that cc and dd were positive integers, so I took the easier looking simultaneous equation and tried reasoning sensible values that cc and dd could take. :yep: I got the correct values on the first attempt. :teehee:

:emo:

(click that face to see the derivative)

Too much fail for me today, I should have realised immediately that c^3 < 99 and 2d^3 < 70. Which leaves around 6 possibilities for each if they are positive integers. Bah, bad day :frown:
(edited 11 years ago)
nice integration question 132x2 dx\int \frac{1}{\sqrt{3-2x^2}}\ dx
:emo:

(click that face to see the derivative)

Too much fail for me today, I should have realised immediately that c^3 < 99 and 2d^3 < 70. Which leaves around 6 possibilities for each if they are positive integers. Bah, bad day :frown:

:rofl::lol::rofl::lol:

Solving them was impressive, though! :smile:

You can link smileys?! :shock:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 195

I got the first one to sum to:

2cosθcos2θsintheta(2cosθ)2+sin2θ \frac{2\cos \theta - \cos^2 \theta -\sin theta}{(2-\cos \theta)^2 + sin^2 \theta}

Which probably simplifies....but I need to do my physics :tongue: I'll have a look again later:tongue:
Reply 196
nice integration question 132x2 dx\int \frac{1}{\sqrt{3-2x^2}}\ dx

12arcsin(23x)\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \arcsin \left( \sqrt{\frac{2}{3}} x \right)
nice integration question 132x2dx\int \frac{1}{\sqrt{3-2x^2}} dx

Let u=2xu = \sqrt{2} x . Then dudx=2\displaystyle \frac{du}{dx} = \sqrt{2}

Therefore 132x2dx=13u2 dxdudu\displaystyle \int \frac{1}{\sqrt{3-2x^2}} dx = \int \frac{1}{\sqrt{3-u^2}} \ \frac{dx}{du} du

=13u2×22 du\displaystyle = \int \frac{1}{\sqrt{3-u^2}} \times \frac{\sqrt{2} }{2} \ du

=2213u2 du\displaystyle = \frac{\sqrt{2} }{2} \int \frac{1}{\sqrt{3-u^2}} \ du

=22(arcsin(u3))+c\displaystyle = \frac{\sqrt{2} }{2} \left(\arcsin \left( \frac{u}{\sqrt{3} } \right) \right) + c

=22arcsin(63x)+c\displaystyle = \frac{\sqrt{2} }{2} \arcsin \left( \frac{\sqrt{6} }{3} x \right) + c

Dayumn... wcp got there quicker. :lol:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by wcp100
I got the first one to sum to:

2cosθcos2θsintheta(2cosθ)2+sin2θ \frac{2\cos \theta - \cos^2 \theta -\sin theta}{(2-\cos \theta)^2 + sin^2 \theta}

Which probably simplifies....but I need to do my physics :tongue: I'll have a look again later:tongue:

That's alright. :tongue: I haven't attempted it, to be honest. :lol:
Reply 199
Let u=2xu = \sqrt{2} x . Then dudx=2\displaystyle \frac{du}{dx} = \sqrt{2}

Therefore 132x2dx=13u2 dxdudu\displaystyle \int \frac{1}{\sqrt{3-2x^2}} dx = \int \frac{1}{\sqrt{3-u^2}} \ \frac{dx}{du} du

=13u2×22 du\displaystyle = \int \frac{1}{\sqrt{3-u^2}} \times \frac{\sqrt{2} }{2} \ du

=2213u2 du\displaystyle = \frac{\sqrt{2} }{2} \int \frac{1}{\sqrt{3-u^2}} \ du

=22(arcsin(u3))+c\displaystyle = \frac{\sqrt{2} }{2} \left(\arcsin \left( \frac{u}{\sqrt{3} } \right) \right) + c

=22arcsin(63x)+c\displaystyle = \frac{\sqrt{2} }{2} \arcsin \left( \frac{\sqrt{6} }{3} x \right) + c

Dayumn... wcp got there quicker. :lol:

11+x2 dx \displaystyle \int \frac{1}{\sqrt{1+x^2}}\ dx

Latest