The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by chickenonsteroids
WHY DO I NEED A LEVEL MATHS FOR PHILOSOPHY?! maybe I should pick some where else... pesky formal logic

Which Uni is that?
Original post by Llewellyn
I'm in my element at around 12 until 7. Before 12 I'm barely up (zombine mode :zomg:) and after 7 my brain wanders off all the time.

Having said that, it shouldn't matter for C3... C3 is one of those "just don't mess up" papers.

Hmm for me that's when I'm worst. My concentration is really bad and my brain always wonders off so in the morning I'm always on the ball.

Hmm yh that is very true for C3. Although in my C3 (and it was in the afternoon), I made some very very stupid mistakes :frown:
Reply 3922
Original post by chickenonsteroids
WHY DO I NEED A LEVEL MATHS FOR PHILOSOPHY?! maybe I should pick some where else... pesky formal logic

The axioms of mathematics are rooted deeply in philosophy, and in some respects the methods employed in certain branches of philosophy are similar to methods in certain branches of mathematics. Some of the greatest philosophers of the past have also been mathematicians, for example Bertrand Russell.
Original post by 4mar_ar5en4l
Hmm for me that's when I'm worst. My concentration is really bad and my brain always wonders off so in the morning I'm always on the ball.

Hmm yh that is very true for C3. Although in my C3 (and it was in the afternoon), I made some very very stupid mistakes :frown:

Yes my main goal going into these exams was to make no stupid mistakes. I already messed that up via chemistry unit 2, but I'm going to try to avoid any in maths at least.
Original post by 4mar_ar5en4l

I made some silly mistakes in C3 also. :sigh:
Yes my main goal going into these exams was to make no stupid mistakes. I already messed that up via chemistry unit 2, but I'm going to try to avoid any in maths at least.

Good luck. :cute:
Reply 3926
Prove:

x2(x1)2+y2(y1)2+z2(z1)21 \frac{x^{2}}{\left(x-1\right)^{2}}+\frac{y^{2}}{\left(y-1\right)^{2}}+\frac{z^{2}}{\left(z-1\right)^{2}}\geq 1

Given xyz =1
Which Uni is that?

Warwick (I think). They need 38 points with SL maths and I wasn't put in for that (i didn't realise until 6 months in :lol:) so i'd need to do some A level modules (here.)

I'm not even sure if I want to do philosophy yet :lol:
Reply 3928

Oh god. Don't even talk about Chemistry. That subject along with physics is ruining my opportunity of Cambridge.
Reply 3929

So far my only mistakes in maths have been in C1 and S1, which are both by far the easiest two modules I'm doing this year. :rolleyes: M1, S2, C2 and M2 couldn't have gone better, on the other hand.
Reply 3930
Original post by wcp100
Prove:

x2(x1)2+y2(y1)2+z2(z1)21 \frac{x^{2}}{\left(x-1\right)^{2}}+\frac{y^{2}}{\left(y-1\right)^{2}}+\frac{z^{2}}{\left(z-1\right)^{2}}\geq 1

Given xyz =1

Is that a BMO question?
Original post by und
The axioms of mathematics are rooted deeply in philosophy, and in some respects the methods employed in certain branches of philosophy are similar to methods in certain branches of mathematics. Some of the greatest philosophers of the past have also been mathematicians, for example Bertrand Russell.

I understand that :yes:

Spoiler

Reply 3932
Original post by und
Is that a BMO question?

Nope. :colone:

Hmm I only recently realised the immense importance of reading the question. Everyone's like yh imma read it twice in the exam, but when it comes down to it most people just skim read the question and lose stupid marks there!

Original post by Maths_Lover
I made some silly mistakes in C3 also. :sigh:

I still regret my answers :angry:
I remember every mistake I made and I feel like calling myself a complete idiot for them! :frown:
Reply 3934
Original post by wcp100
Nope. :colone:

Hmm.. that evil grin makes me think it's an IMO question.
Reply 3935
Original post by und
Hmm.. that evil grin makes me think it's an IMO question.

:colone::colone::colone::colone:
Reply 3936
Original post by wcp100
:colone::colone::colone::colone:

:rolleyes:

Right, seeing as I'm not going to get anywhere with my crude, elementary methods, I'll leave it to you lot to think about. :biggrin:
Reply 3937
Original post by und
:rolleyes:

Right, seeing as I'm not going to get anywhere with my crude, elementary methods, I'll leave it to you lot to think about. :biggrin:

It's not that difficult I don't think...he says applying first year uni maths :ninja:
Original post by wcp100
Where are these BMO2 questions then?

Fun STEP style questions

Spoiler

Some nice demoralising problems.

The only 2 BMO2 problems I have solved..

1)[**]. Adrian has drawn a circle in the xy-plane whose radius is a positive
integer at most 2008. The origin lies somewhere inside the circle. You
are allowed to ask him questions of the form “Is the point (x, y) inside
your circle?” After each question he will answer truthfully “yes” or
“no”. Show that it is always possible to deduce the radius of the circle
after at most sixty questions. [Note: Any point which lies exactly on
the circle may be considered to lie inside the circle.]

2)[***]Determine all sets of non-negative integers x, y and z which
satisfy the equation
2x+3y=z22^x+3^y= z^2

BMO1 I have solved:

3)[*]Isaac attempts all six questions on an Olympiad paper in order. Each
question is marked on a scale from 0 to 10. He never scores more
in a later question than in any earlier question. How many different
possible sequences of six marks can he achieve?

This is a really ultra hard problem. He who solves this commands my respect but with a lovely short solution... I failed to solve this.

[****]Take the first pq+1pq+1 terms of a positive integral strictly increasing sequence aia_i.

Show that from these terms you can choose either a sequence bib_i with p+1p+1 terms such that bi∤bjb_i \not| b_j, iji \not= j or a sequence cic_i with q+1q+1 terms such that cici+1c_i|c_{i+1} for all ii.

These are some of the nice problems I have come across recently. Please don't feel obliged anyone to answer any of these questions, but if you have a spare moment now and then...
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3939
Here's a surprisingly simple IMO question from quite a while back (I couldn't help looking at the short solution though I probably shouldn't have :tongue:):

Prove that the fraction 21n+414n+3\frac{21n+4}{14n+3} is irreducible for every natural number n.

Latest