The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AspiringGenius
yes OCR MEI :smile: so it isn't that big an achievement I suppose

Well I am doing OCR MEI as well. It still is. Our oard is hardest though when it comes to A2 (especiall with coursework) and I have heard it is by far the hardest for Further Maths)
Original post by Llewellyn
I did a complete set of 2010 past papers for all subjects... Mixed results. I got 82/120 for STEP I, which I was pleased with until it turned out to be a 2 :frown: :shakecane: What more do they want :cry2:

Also, how am I meant to mark an EngLit paper when the markscheme is so vague? :s-smilie:

How the hell is 82 not a 1. A few more marks, creeping into the 90s and I would've thought that would be an S. Are the boundaries in I a lot more higher than II and III?
Original post by InvertedLayman
Eyy, don't be hating. This 'kid' 'aint no badderman IRL. Me likes reading, not riding bike.

You were talking like a 'badderman' so I can only infer that if anything you are a 'wanna be gangsta'. Stop talking like that and then maybe that judgement of you shall no longer prevail.
is anyone taking STEP this year by the way? I found out today that the deadline for entries is 26th May or something so would it be worth giving it a proper shot this year?
Original post by Refrigerator
Ah okay, we have one further maths class with no girls in it at all :frown:

That is a shame. D:

It's about equal here as well - though for some reason Latin is always boy-dominated. Physics is also about equal, but the further mathematicians who take physics are generally boys, because the girls want to take medicine.
Original post by GreenLantern1
How the hell is 82 not a 1. A few more marks, creeping into the 90s and I would've thought that would be an S. Are the boundaries in I a lot more higher than II and III?

I and II are almost always equivalent, there is a weighted deviation of roughly 2% between them. III is normally about 10 marks lower for each respective boundary.

For some reason, 2010 was higher than most years. It was probably because questions 1 and 4 were very easy. But I got 82/120 by only doing the applied questions and q6. In truth, I probably got more than 82, but I always mark ultra-critically, and STEP has no official (public) markscheme or documentation of how marks are allocated per part of the question.

Still, I am disappointed and a bit depressed at my mark. I don't plan on telling any universities my mark, regardless of what it is, but I want to feel comfortable with that level of maths. Not because I want to apply for maths, but because I want to prove to myself that I'm not choosing not to apply for maths because it is too difficult for me.
I and II are almost always equivalent, there is a weighted deviation of roughly 2% between them. III is normally about 10 marks lower for each respective boundary.

For some reason, 2010 was higher than most years. It was probably because questions 1 and 4 were very easy. But I got 82/120 by only doing the applied questions and q6. In truth, I probably got more than 82, but I always mark ultra-critically, and STEP has no official (public) markscheme or documentation of how marks are allocated per part of the question.

Still, I am disappointed and a bit depressed at my mark. I don't plan on telling any universities my mark, regardless of what it is, but I want to feel comfortable with that level of maths. Not because I want to apply for maths, but because I want to prove to myself that I'm not choosing not to apply for maths because it is too difficult for me.

Watch how you get an S in June. Are you jut doing STEP I or are you doing II as well? If not are you doing any next year?

What are you applying for then?
is anyone taking STEP this year by the way? I found out today that the deadline for entries is 26th May or something so would it be worth giving it a proper shot this year?

Perhaps. I wouldn't advise doing so unless you've already covered all of A level maths. I would also advise to do a few past papers under timed conditions.

I'm doing STEP this year. But it's a personal challenge, I don't plan on putting on UCAS.
Watch how you get an S in June. Are you jut doing STEP I or are you doing II as well? If not are you doing any next year?

What are you applying for then?

I haven't decided yet, which is part of the reason why I am doing it. I'm only doing I though, II would require too much time and preparation.

I contemplated it but decided it would be better to concentrate on my summer modules and maximise those instead. I am doing AEA, though as a sort of compromise and it will be a good stepping stone into STEP, although I do STEP I questions for fun and will properly go for it over the summer. :smile:

If you haven't already started preparing for it, I advise against it - STEP I is on June 18th this year, which is earlier than AEA and wouldn't give you a whole lot of time to prepare if you haven't been already.

You could give AEA a shot, though - it's a heck of a lot easier but will still be enough of a challenge for you. :tongue:
(edited 11 years ago)
Perhaps. I wouldn't advise doing so unless you've already covered all of A level maths. I would also advise to do a few past papers under timed conditions.

I'm doing STEP this year. But it's a personal challenge, I don't plan on putting on UCAS.

Yeah I did initially want to take it just to see how well I'd do at my current level, but it does seem like a lot of work

Original post by Maths_Lover
I contemplated it but decided it would be better to concentrate on my summer modules and maximise those instead. I am doing AEA, though as a sort of compromise and it will be a good stepping stone into STEP, although I do STEP I questions for fun and will properly go for it over the summer. :smile:

If you haven't already started preparing for it, I advise against it - STEP I is on June 18th this year, which is earlier than AEA and wouldn't give you a whole lot of time to prepare if you haven't been already.

You could give AEA a shot, though - it's a heck of a lot easier but will still be enough of a challenge for you. :tongue:

AEA does seem like a good compromise, if I do well will it be worth mentioning on UCAS? Also do you need to have done C3 and C4 for AEA or not?

Thanks

AEA does seem like a good compromise, if I do well will it be worth mentioning on UCAS? Also do you need to have done C3 and C4 for AEA or not?

Thanks

It is and if you do well, then it is something good to mention on your UCAS. :smile: AEA, like STEP I, is based on the A-Level Maths syllabus, so yes C3 and C4 are needed. However, unlike STEP I, you do not need applied modules for it as it is only pure Maths so C1-C4 only are needed, instead of STEP I's prerequisites of C1-C4, M1 & M2; S1 & S2.

No problem. :cute:
(edited 11 years ago)
You were talking like a 'badderman' so I can only infer that if anything you are a 'wanna be gangsta'. Stop talking like that and then maybe that judgement of you shall no longer prevail.

It wasn't a judgement.. wait or did you sentence me to imprisonment?
Also, I was not talking. I was typing so..
I don't get why some people type more maturely than they would ever speak in real life. Should be the other way around.
Original post by Maths_Lover
A bit of Yiruma, a bit of Christopher Norton, Ludovico Einaudi and some videogame music - mainly the Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time music. :smile:

That sounds lovely.

I have often had that thought. I really wonder why... :holmes:

Spoiler

:O you have amazing music taste.
Original post by Emissionspectra
:O you have amazing music taste.

Thank you. :biggrin:
Reply 795
To all those talking about OCR MEI. Their FP2 and especially FP3 are the hardest out of all the boards.
Original post by wcp100
To all those talking about OCR MEI. Their FP2 and especially FP3 are the hardest out of all the boards.

Your point is?
just clocked that UCL are asking for A*A*A for maths or A*AA1

#nottheone
Reply 798
Original post by chignesh10
Your point is?

They were talking about the difficulty of the board. Hence my comment of the difficulty....of the board....
After spending a considerable amount of time getting distracted by YouTube, I have decided that I would really like a marimba. :ahee:

17th birthday present. :colone:

Latest