The Student Room Group

Economics Applicant Thread UCAS 2012 mk II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hemzo
Nothing else on TV other than Come Dine with me :tongue:

I finished watching Games of Thrones and I'm going to plan on finishing the recent season of Supernatural after exams. So I've got a huge list ready, but I know what you mean.. I have to wait a year till new seasons of the shows I watch start :frown:

Mhm! My mum's side of family are Portuguese, so I'll be supporting them tonight. Should be a good game, mind you we lost to Turkey 3-1 and drew with Macedonia so I'm not getting my hopes up too high!

I love that show! Well any show with food really :drool:

hahah another Game of Thrones fan :bricks: You just like all the sex dont you!?

I see, how exotic. I just looked closely at your Avatar for the first time... Chelsea :colonhash:
Reply 381
Original post by Tateco
Ouch

I guess the loss to Turkey wasn't so bad, but to not score against Macedonia? I mean come on! :colonhash:

Original post by Brand New Eyes
I love that show! Well any show with food really :drool:

hahah another Game of Thrones fan :bricks: You just like all the sex dont you!?

I see, how exotic. I just looked closely at your Avatar for the first time... Chelsea :colonhash:

I think one of my friend's mum went on the show haha, no idea how she did though!

I honestly had no idea how graphic it was till I watched it :tongue:, but I've heard Spartacus is the one most filled with sex, violence etc. As it goes, the storyline pretty good! Not sure if you watch it, but Tyrion is probably the best character there :biggrin:

The best team around you mean? :biggrin: haha, I take it you're not a Blues fan?
Reply 382
Original post by Hemzo
I guess the loss to Turkey wasn't so bad, but to not score against Macedonia? I mean come on! :colonhash:

I think one of my friend's mum went on the show haha, no idea how she did though!

I honestly had no idea how graphic it was till I watched it :tongue:, but I've heard Spartacus is the one most filled with sex, violence etc. As it goes, the storyline pretty good! Not sure if you watch it, but Tyrion is probably the best character there :biggrin:

The best team around you mean? :biggrin: haha, I take it you're not a Blues fan?

Trust me, Spartacus makes GoT seem prude. It's quite different to GoT bar the swords and sandals setting (maybe fur boots are more appropriate for GoT). I saw GoT season 2 off the back of watching all 3 seasons of Spartacus and GoT seemed so dull. I stopped following GoT for a couple weeks and then caught up and it was great stuff. But, the pacing is quite different imo. Spartacus is a lot more action-packed.
sorry to be off topic, anyone else read 'Nudge'? What did you think of it? Im halfway through, and im not sure quite what to make of it :s-smilie:
i would ask on the 2013 thread, but who knoes when ill get a reply :sigh:
Original post by tooambitious
sorry to be off topic, anyone else read 'Nudge'? What did you think of it? Im halfway through, and im not sure quite what to make of it :s-smilie:
i would ask on the 2013 thread, but who knoes when ill get a reply :sigh:

I've read it and I thought it was a really interesting book. I even mentioned it in my personal statement haha. It also led me to read other behavioural economics books such as predictably irrational.
Reply 385
Original post by Melikeyflute
I've read it and I thought it was a really interesting book. I even mentioned it in my personal statement haha. It also led me to read other behavioural economics books such as predictably irrational.

Why was predictably irrational like? I was thinking about getting that.

Dan Ariely! :heart:

Original post by Hemzo

:hugs:

The prize is £1000! and um foood!

Oh really now, I don't but erm :biggrin: noted.

hahahaha I'm about as much of a Chelsea fan as Torres is value for money :wink: Congrats on Champions though :king1:

Maybe i missed a bit out, why is it always talking about pensions :confused:. I think some things are interesting, but i dont feel im getting much from it, i might read predictably irrational next because i am actually interesreted in behavioural economics, i might do my IRR on it...
Original post by Tateco
Why was predictably irrational like? I was thinking about getting that.

Personally, I found it really interesting but there is quite a lot of overlap between the book and the talks he does (on youtube) so you're probably better off just watching the YouTube videos. I think he's really good at talking despite his accent haha.
Original post by tooambitious
Maybe i missed a bit out, why is it always talking about pensions :confused:. I think some things are interesting, but i dont feel im getting much from it, i might read predictably irrational next because i am actually interesreted in behavioural economics, i might do my IRR on it...

Haha, didn't he (and sunstein) create a pensions scheme (save more tomorrow) so I guess they just want to hype it up :tongue:. Have you got to the part with the Seattle windshield pitting epidemic yet? I thought that was hilarious haha. What's IRR?
Haha, didn't he (and sunstein) create a pensions scheme (save more tomorrow) so I guess they just want to hype it up :tongue:. Have you got to the part with the Seattle windshield pitting epidemic yet? I thought that was hilarious haha. What's IRR?

Oh ok, so it's not just be being obtuse. I thought maybe there was some other link I wasn't seeing :tongue:. not yet, I'm like 40% through. Independent research something ( not exactly sure) its like an EPQ essentially but part of my global perspective Pre-U :smile:
Reply 391
What's the deal with applying through extra if I didn't apply for uni this year?

Is there a way to apply to somewhere like Durham for Economics on results day grades permitting if it is in extra? Or did I have to apply to 5 unis before the deadline?
Original post by Scorcher
What's the deal with applying through extra if I didn't apply for uni this year?

Is there a way to apply to somewhere like Durham for Economics on results day grades permitting if it is in extra? Or did I have to apply to 5 unis before the deadline?

If you have not applied in this cycle:

30 June - the final deadline. All applications that we receive by this date are processed and sent to the universities and colleges. Applications that we receive after 30 June will not be sent to the universities and colleges in the normal way. Instead, these applications will go directly into Clearing.
You will need to do so normally through the UCAS "apply" bit

If you HAVE applied for university this year, post results day = Clearing/adjustment
Reply 393
Original post by zxh800
Trust me, Spartacus makes GoT seem prude. It's quite different to GoT bar the swords and sandals setting (maybe fur boots are more appropriate for GoT). I saw GoT season 2 off the back of watching all 3 seasons of Spartacus and GoT seemed so dull. I stopped following GoT for a couple weeks and then caught up and it was great stuff. But, the pacing is quite different imo. Spartacus is a lot more action-packed.

I tried giving Spartacus a chance, but I just never got into it, probably because I only gave it 15 mins whereas I gave GoT a good 3-4 episodes :tongue:. I'll watch a few episodes of Spartacus and give it a go, I need some new shows to watch!

:hugs:

The prize is £1000! and um foood!

Oh really now, I don't but erm :biggrin: noted.

hahahaha I'm about as much of a Chelsea fan as Torres is value for money :wink: Congrats on Champions though :king1:

I see what you did there, but after his performance for Spain today.. I might agree with you -_-'

And thanks :biggrin:
Reply 394
Original post by Hemzo
I tried giving Spartacus a chance, but I just never got into it, probably because I only gave it 15 mins whereas I gave GoT a good 3-4 episodes :tongue:. I'll watch a few episodes of Spartacus and give it a go, I need some new shows to watch!

I see what you did there, but after his performance for Spain today.. I might agree with you -_-'

*cough* exams
Reply 395
Original post by Hemzo

My friend absolutely hated the first episode. I persevered and was up episode 8-9 by the time he gave it another chance. He loved it so much he finished all three seasons before I did (I only saw 1-2 a day, he went crazy. He was absolutely hooked). But, yea some great villains on the show.
Reply 396
If you have not applied in this cycle:

You will need to do so normally through the UCAS "apply" bit

If you HAVE applied for university this year, post results day = Clearing/adjustment

I haven't applied for this cycle.

Will I be based on the grades I received at AS (which were pretty bad) or will they make a decision on results day once I have my results (which I'm confident will satisfy Durham's requirement)
Original post by Scorcher
I haven't applied for this cycle.

Will I be based on the grades I received at AS (which were pretty bad) or will they make a decision on results day once I have my results (which I'm confident will satisfy Durham's requirement)

They will consider you as normal...

So whatever your predicted grades your teachers have given you will go on your form and your AS grades which you need to declare.

It's basically the same as you would normally apply, personal statement and everything else needs to go through, you will either receive a conditional offer or be unsuccessful. If the first then if you achieve the grade on results day you're in. I'll repeat it again, EXTRA is for PRE-RESULTS. So if you apply BEFORE, it will obviously be based on the results you have yet to achieve. Clearing and Adjustment are for people who miss/exceed their offers, of you don't apply by the 30th June your application is automatically transferred into clearly.
Original post by Tateco
*cough* exams

:laugh: :teehee: What are they?

Original post by Hemzo

:lol: I especially like your chant "He scores when he wants" :no:
Reply 399
Original post by Tateco
*cough* exams

After exams ofc :tongue:

Original post by zxh800
My friend absolutely hated the first episode. I persevered and was up episode 8-9 by the time he gave it another chance. He loved it so much he finished all three seasons before I did (I only saw 1-2 a day, he went crazy. He was absolutely hooked). But, yea some great villains on the show.

I'll be sure to give it a chance :smile:

:laugh: :teehee: What are they?

:lol: I especially like your chant "He scores when he wants" :no:

:colonhash:

Now I need to know what team you support so I can slate them off :awesome:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending