The Student Room Group

Economics Applicant Thread UCAS 2012 mk II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AnimalSpirit
I'm loving it.. But it's SO intense (9 hours/day) and I probably would have preferred spending my summer laying around in the sun reading books :biggrin:. But really enjoying the course.. My teacher thinks I should do actuarial science instead of economics.. What are your thoughts on that? :biggrin:

Wow that's like more than being at school! What are you learning at the moment?

Ha erm well I don't know! Are you interested in finance/models/stats/insurance/leverage and all that. Hell no! I would never go there Macro, essays, arguing :love:
Original post by tooambitious
NO! Being an actuary sounds awful!

I've been waiting for this to come alive :biggrin:, how is everyone?

Awww :h: Could have posted you know. I take pride in the resurrection!

Unproductive. I should be looking for a job or learning German or something :dontknow:

What about you? UCAS oh nostalgia is kicking in again
Original post by Brand New Eyes

Unproductive. I should be looking for a job or learning German or something :dontknow:

(I'm not meant to be here anymore but I had to react to that :ninja:)
NO! Being an actuary sounds awful!

I've been waiting for this to come alive :biggrin:, how is everyone?

Wow that's like more than being at school! What are you learning at the moment?

Ha erm well I don't know! Are you interested in finance/models/stats/insurance/leverage and all that. Hell no! I would never go there Macro, essays, arguing :love:

Differiential equations in all shapes and forms, vectors, spatial geometry etc, etc.

Haha I'm not seriously thinking about actuarial science - just wanted to hear your thoughts.. I love Econ - you guys know that :biggrin:

I've been reading, swimming and watching films <-- some of my favourite activities

I have I cut down my PS (first draft done), I've also decided where I'm applying :biggrin:
Differiential equations in all shapes and forms, vectors, spatial geometry etc, etc.

Haha I'm not seriously thinking about actuarial science - just wanted to hear your thoughts.. I love Econ - you guys know that :biggrin:

Good to hear it :yep:
I've been reading, swimming and watching films <-- some of my favourite activities

I have I cut down my PS (first draft done), I've also decided where I'm applying :biggrin:

Let's hear it :yes:
Reply 787

What sort of spatial geometry? Vectors beyond A-Level? :gah:
Original post by such_a_lady
(I'm not meant to be here anymore but I had to react to that :ninja:)

:lol: teach me? I'm planning to start umm either tomorrow evening or wednesday. Yess digging out Logo 2 (lol) because I've forgotten absolutely everything. But it's really boring and trivial.

It's all part of my wider plan to be somewhat proficient in French and/or another by the time I graduate D:

oh and you're always welcome!

Oh nice! Missing C4 now, although I've probably forgotten most of it tbh.

I see, I think I'd be too bored with just Maths and I'd switch course after the first month. We do? Feel free to start soliloquizing about your undying love.

Oh yeaaah. Which films?

:woo: how many characters is it now? oh oh oh ok so Oxford, LSE? UCL? Bristol?

Original post by Groat

He lives!?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Groat

It's all the usual A-level stuff.. But a whole year's material squeezed into 5 weeks - pretty intense :biggrin:. It's not like a university econ prep course - just me catching up since I didn't do a-level mathematics in Gymnasium :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Let's hear it :yes:

In order of preference:
Oxford (LN12)
UCL (L101) = LSE (L101)
Warwick (L100)
Bristol (L100)

I hope I got the course codes right, it's off the top of my head :colondollar: - what do you guys think :biggrin:
Reply 791
It's all the usual A-level stuff.. But a whole year's material squeezed into 5 weeks - pretty intense :biggrin:. It's not like a university econ prep course - just me catching up since I didn't do a-level mathematics in Gymnasium :smile:

Ah, if you're interested you could look into the Further Maths vector topics (requires more knowledge of matrices). Eigenvectors, cross product, distance between planes, etc.
:lol: teach me? I'm planning to start umm either tomorrow evening or wednesday. Yess digging out Logo 2 (lol) because I've forgotten absolutely everything. But it's really boring and trivial.

It's all part of my wider plan to be somewhat proficient in French and/or another by the time I graduate D:

oh and you're always welcome!

Oh nice! Missing C4 now, although I've probably forgotten most of it tbh.

I see, I think I'd be too bored with just Maths and I'd switch course after the first month. We do? Feel free to start soliloquizingabout your undying love.

Your use of vocabulary makes me glad I did Shakespeare at A-levels :wink:

Original post by Groat
Ah, if you're interested you could look into the Further Maths vector topics (requires more knowledge of matrices). Eigenvectors, cross product, distance between planes, etc.

I most certainly will! Will it be useful for Econ at uni?

In order of preference:
Oxford (LN12)
UCL (L101) = LSE (L101)
Warwick (L100)
Bristol (L100)

I hope I got the course codes right, it's off the top of my head :colondollar: - what do you guys think :biggrin:

I can only applaud those choices - although, as you know, I prefer L101 at UCL to Bristol.. But that course is just ridiculously competitive :biggrin:

Reply 795
I most certainly will! Will it be useful for Econ at uni?

Matrices are used so I'd look at them. So Eigenvectors, yes. Not so sure about the lines and planes stuff.

Oh yeaaah. Which films?

:woo: how many characters is it now? oh oh oh ok so Oxford, LSE? UCL? Bristol?

I watched new spiderman and Batman, it was really funny, I saw Batman on t e first day at like 17.00 - the screening was quite full but now queueing or anything, when we came out there was a really long queue, I sad to my siste really loudly 'LOL imagine of we had come to this screening hahahahah' and everyone stares at me, they were PISSED, I dared to reveal the big twist of they werent nicer :tongue:

And then, just watching anything I can - usually rom coms and comedies :P
I think it's just over 4,500 but it's 57 lines :/

Plus Warwick
Reply 797
In order of preference:
Oxford (LN12)
UCL (L101) = LSE (L101)
Warwick (L100)
Bristol (L100)

What are your GCSEs like? Would you be happy at Warwick or Bristol?
In order of preference:
Oxford (LN12)
UCL (L101) = LSE (L101)
Warwick (L100)
Bristol (L100)

I forgot Warwick existed :lol: bang on. Eeek well assuming you get your A* in Maths in a few weeks I'd say although slightly risky (there isn't really like a "safe safe" offer uni in the midst of your 5) it should be okay. I mean you're doing EPQ which Warwick absolutely LOVES so errm is that in order or preference?

Your use of vocabulary makes me glad I did Shakespeare at A-level :wink:

I haven't studied shakespeare for two years but I do love that word :wink:

So :erm: I hear you're a horny womaniser?
Original post by Groat
Matrices are used so I'd look at them. So Eigenvectors, yes. Not so sure about the lines and planes stuff.

Thank you! I'll ask my teacher if he has some material on it.. Offer holders have also gotten a maths prep book from Oxford, so there might be something in there about it..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending