The Student Room Group

Is it worth it to skip school for a few weeks to revise for my exams?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by enigma1122
lol:colondollar:

May extend that 2 week pre-study leave hiatus to 3 weeks y'know

You Indian dawg?
Reply 61
I did this because working at school did not prove successful. My friend also did this and came out with the best grades in the year.

It depends on you but isn't totally bad.
Reply 62
I always do this. Teachers absolutely hate me for it but it got me ~ 95% in my AS levels and an offer from Cambridge. Will stop going in about 2 weeks again I think. As long as the teachers aren't cancelling your exams who cares!
Original post by The Doggfather
May extend that 2 week pre-study leave hiatus to 3 weeks y'know

You Indian dawg?

lmao jyes i am.:tongue:
Reply 64
So glad I found this thread. I thought I was alone! As ever I have found like-minded people on TSR :smile:
All my lessons are is either a) Revising stuff that I need to revise but less efficiently than I would at home, or b) Revising stuff that I do not need to revise!
So I've been going to only maybe half of my lessons the last few weeks, just enough to not really piss off my teachers, but reading this thread has given me the courage to stick to my gut and do what's right for my grades. I'll still show my face occasionally, but more to get out the house and see my friends than for the lessons...
I can't believe some school would actually withdraw candidates for this, did they at least get a warning? I can't imagine my school doing this to me but it's a slight concern. It would be their loss though.
Reply 65
Original post by Ra Ra
I am. I was ill just after Easter and so missed a few days, but then on the night before going back in I just thought about how much work I'd covered in those few days in comparison to the stupid posters and mindmaps (literally all I do) I was doing at college, and thought, 'Why not?'

Honestly, I've taught myself so much just learning it on my own. My college has been on my back, predicting me low grades, telling me I'm going to fail my AS Levels, etc, but I genuinely don't think that's the case. In the time I would have spent drawing posters to make the classroom look pretty, or going to the library to find there's no free computers (my teacher does this all the time in History; every lesson we get sent off to the library to do some research on the computers, only to find there's none spare), I've been doing past papers, looking at the specifications and AOs and writing out notes - exactly what I wasn't doing at college. This could all backfire miserably, but I think I'm more prepared for my exams than if I'd gone into lectures and done absolute crap.

(I should add that my college is rubbish and barely anyone gets good marks; on the rare occasion that someone gets a B, the teachers go wild with excitement. If you have good lecturers or go to a good college, you could always go in for a few days before the exams, because that's usually when they start to get a little worried and go over the exam spec. Other than that though, if you're motivated and prefer to work alone, I can't recommend skipping college enough.)

:congrats::congrats: This is my college exactly. Sucks doesn't it bro? I'm thinking about skipping the next three days to revise for my ICT exam on Friday morning. Here is my retarded situation:

Tuesday: Travel to college ( 1Hour, 15 mins ) > 1hour, 30 mins ICT lesson (Teacher tells us to get on with our own revision) P.S i went in today for a 2 hour lesson and he told us to do the same thing. > After the lesson i have a 1 hour 30 min break at which i have nothing to do but revise for the same exam. > Then i have a 45 minute ICT 'supplementary' lesson which is compulsory by the college, different teacher this time though, yet same outcome, " get on with your own revision.

Wednesday: travel to college ( 1 hour 15 mins ) 1 hour ICT lesson then go home for another 1 hour 15 mins. (2.30 hours at which i could be at home revising instead of going in for a lousy 1 hour lesson.)

Thursday: Nothing all day except form, but i'm not going in for that.

My ICT teacher has grey hair and he is a retard i'm tellin' ya. He never told us directly in the classroom when our coursework deadline was. Then one day before the deadline he emails everyone telling them of the deadline. Then he sends another email telling everyone that knows the deadline to tell those that don't. The act of a desperate man much?

All i do in my lessons is crappy word searches and spider diagrams as well. What kind of BS is this, this is my AS levels and you're giving me this crap? My History teacher gives us several booklets containing on average 20 pages each. In the lesson all he does is use the booklets to teach us, WELL WELL i could have stayed at home and looked at the booklets myself fool!

Life sucks bro.

Think i mite just stay off, after my last Exam on Friday i have three weeks off anyway to relax.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest