The Student Room Group

Do I take a gap year?

Hi, I’m not sure I’m going to get the grades I need for university in my Alevels. I’ve began considering a gap year to sort myself out mentally, and resit them next year. Has anyone had any experience in doing this? Is it recommended?
Thanks in advance
Original post by Purpllegrape9
Hi, I’m not sure I’m going to get the grades I need for university in my Alevels. I’ve began considering a gap year to sort myself out mentally, and resit them next year. Has anyone had any experience in doing this? Is it recommended?
Thanks in advance

Im on a gap year ATM and although I'm not resitting any of my exams I have a few friends that are currently resitting and know of ppl in earlier years who resat their a levels and it worked for them. Obviously wait for results day, you might think you're doing badly but may actually be doing really well! People often seen to underestimate their own abilities in exams, I know I did 😭. I wouldn't say it's recommended or no, but you always need to be careful when it comes to gap years as you have no guarantee you'll get offers at the places you got this year. Heck, although I got an offer from a uni I much prefer this year, my firm choice from last year actually rejected me this time around 😭
Reply 2
i think only take a gap year if you have things planned. I'm on one currently- and I was literally so lost at the beginning, I had like no idea what to do with my life. and it can be lonely especially if all your friends are at uni. However, gap years do give you a break and a chance to grow as a person, and time to travel if you wish.

And also don't underestimate yourself. I literally thought I would get Cs last year- and I actually done alright. I'm currently resitting because I know I can push myself to do better- but studying on a gap year is hard. Esp when you're not in class and don't have teachers pestering you and giving you exam tips.

If you have good offers this year from unis, I would say take it. I literally got offers from Kings and UCL last year but got rejected this year- so your place is not always guaranteed on gap years.
Reply 3
Original post by anon12m
i think only take a gap year if you have things planned. I'm on one currently- and I was literally so lost at the beginning, I had like no idea what to do with my life. and it can be lonely especially if all your friends are at uni. However, gap years do give you a break and a chance to grow as a person, and time to travel if you wish.

And also don't underestimate yourself. I literally thought I would get Cs last year- and I actually done alright. I'm currently resitting because I know I can push myself to do better- but studying on a gap year is hard. Esp when you're not in class and don't have teachers pestering you and giving you exam tips.

If you have good offers this year from unis, I would say take it. I literally got offers from Kings and UCL last year but got rejected this year- so your place is not always guaranteed on gap years.

I need ABB for my insurance, and AAA for my firm- I haven’t revised enough and I’m considering not going to the exams this week
I need ABB for my insurance, and AAA for my firm- I haven’t revised enough and I’m considering not going to the exams this week

Always give your exams a shot DO NOT simply skip them. Even if you start revising now it'll be a damn sight better than automatically failing if you don't turn up.
Reply 5

Still go to your exams, and give it your all. Even if you think you haven't revised enough it is a lot better than an automatic zero. You never know, your results could surprise you and you could do exceptionally well. Don't limit yourself by skipping exams.
Reply 6
Original post by anon12m
Still go to your exams, and give it your all. Even if you think you haven't revised enough it is a lot better than an automatic zero. You never know, your results could surprise you and you could do exceptionally well. Don't limit yourself by skipping exams.

I’ll try my best. Thanks bro
Reply 7
Original post by jlocordner332
Always give your exams a shot DO NOT simply skip them. Even if you start revising now it'll be a damn sight better than automatically failing if you don't turn up.

I’ve been revising for around a month but I don’t know the whole courses yet- I’ll try though- thanks
Reply 8
what helped me was jumping straight into practice questions. learning the entirety of a course is lengthy.
instead- if u do practice qs then you can see what regularly comes up and the key things to remember/learn
Reply 9
I’ve been revising for around a month but I don’t know the whole courses yet- I’ll try though- thanks

A month is good, keep it up. If you can finish all the content and understand everything to a decent level, you should be able to get a B or C at worst. If you can get some past papers done before the exams even just 1 or 2 past papers then that’s even better. Don’t give up now.

Quick Reply

Latest