The Student Room Group

Need to vent - boyfriend has started taking forever to reply.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
I need to know whether I am over-reacting or not.

My boyfriend and I have been together for 8 months - he did most of the chasing, wooing me with romantic dinners etc...one of the main things I liked about him was that he never kept me waiting. We'd converse back and forth easily and there were never games with him. He'd always make sure he had plans with me 2-3 times a week, and everything with him was a breath of fresh air!

But 6 months in, things started to wind down. He'd leave planning til the last minute, which really stressed me out at the time because all my assessments were due simulatenously/I was working while he had a more laid-back schedule. I spoke to him, explained how it made me feel, and he made more for an effort.

Another two months on the cracks are showing again. It started last week, when I was sick/bedridden...and contacted him just wanting a chat, but he didn't respond until the next day. I saw a few days after, and when together everything was great (no disconnect like I feel when apart).

-Next week is exam time; I'm obviously trying to stay calm (although not easy!) but what helps me do that is have things planed out: a good study schedule, plus knowing when I get to see my boyfriend and friends etc. Today I messaged him over 4 hours ago, and he has not replied about whether he can meet up tomorrow (though he knows I have stuff I have to do in uni as well for exams). Meanwhile, however, I noticed he's been on facebook, liking pictures and chatting to other people (and he's been doing this more and more lately). I feel like this is really rude, how should I handle this?

I used to think this was really immature, but some guys are just really bad at empathising, you can explain till your blue in the face about how the lack of contact makes you feel, but it sounds like he won't get it until you back of yourself. It may be tough, but honestly it will make him miss you and the contact will pick up. Then, you should talk to him, because honestly not letting you know he got home safe is not acceptable behaviour (in my books anyway). Just back off completely (no contact), and he'll start wondering why you aren't contacting him. Your exams are far more important than another inconsiderate guy!
Maybe he's bored to death of you whining about how stressed/busy you are, and you nagging him is probably only making it worse. Stop being so reliant on him and freaking out because he hasn't text you for 5 hours.
Reply 42
Original post by xfirekittyx
I used to think this was really immature, but some guys are just really bad at empathising, you can explain till your blue in the face about how the lack of contact makes you feel, but it sounds like he won't get it until you back of yourself. It may be tough, but honestly it will make him miss you and the contact will pick up. Then, you should talk to him, because honestly not letting you know he got home safe is not acceptable behaviour (in my books anyway). Just back off completely (no contact), and he'll start wondering why you aren't contacting him. Your exams are far more important than another inconsiderate guy!

Ha - after speaking to him and saying I'd phone him at some point today, I was busy revising all morning/early afternoon so he sent me a message when I hadn't called yet! Apparently he'd got a minor injury and had not much else to do other than sit around and wait for me to phone...
I think it's sweet you care so much about your bf...but dude, you need to back off a bit. You're relying on your boyfriend waaay too much to fulfil your own happiness. If he can't be bothered to text you, then why should you make all the effort? It's funny he contacts you when he's got 'not much else to do' isn't it? Stop being needy, don't wait around for him to make plans. Go out and have fun with your friends. Make the most of your youth, don't waste it pining over bloody text messages. I used to be just like you when I was about 17. I hate to see others making the same mistakes I did :smile:
Reply 44
Original post by Flamin Nora
I think it's sweet you care so much about your bf...but dude, you need to back off a bit. You're relying on your boyfriend waaay too much to fulfil your own happiness. If he can't be bothered to text you, then why should you make all the effort? It's funny he contacts you when he's got 'not much else to do' isn't it? Stop being needy, don't wait around for him to make plans. Go out and have fun with your friends. Make the most of your youth, don't waste it pining over bloody text messages. I used to be just like you when I was about 17. I hate to see others making the same mistakes I did :smile:

Thanks for your reply. I have been thinking about this...and I think that you're right that I have been relying on him to fulfil my happiness; but also that - I take 'treat others the way you want to be treated' quite seriously - so that when someone treats me less than I'd expect of them, it upsets me quite a bit (annoying and a bit over-sensitive, I know). I can't really think 'oh well, if he doesn't want to text me, why should I bother?' and go on with life/the relationship. I think 'why would I want to be with someone that thinks it's okay to ignore me?' and want to call him out on it, you know what I mean?

It did sort of annoy me when he got in contact when I was still busy/he knew I would phone when I was free. The thing was I felt inclined to reply, because it would feel rude not to otherwise...

The weird thing is I would never have sat pining over messages from my last boyfriend. But I've recently realised...that I love this guy in a way I didn't before (ex). It's hard striking a good balance, but I want to.
This is more practical than anything, but can't you just ring each other? I hate texting for actual conversation, you get so much more out of just a 5 minute phone call, then you wouldn't be sat around waiting, have a much better conversation and interaction, and can make your plans then..
Reply 46
Original post by caseyhayes
This is more practical than anything, but can't you just ring each other? I hate texting for actual conversation, you get so much more out of just a 5 minute phone call, then you wouldn't be sat around waiting, have a much better conversation and interaction, and can make your plans then..

Yeah. When he started making up excuses for why he hadn't replied, all that dissolved when I said he could've just lifted the phone - like the penny dropped.

We sometimes make plans via phone, and other times by text/messaging. But I think from now on, I'm just going to say we should phone eachother each time...because the waiting does drive me wild.
The burden of "pursuing" is emotionally exhausting. If you'd ever done it, you'd know it.

The shine has worn off this relationship and yet you want the charge of his sparkly enthusiasm as if it were 8 months ago. He's trying to find a new, more sustainable mode in life, without demanding, obsessive girl txting, prompting, calling, IMing and FBing, all the time. He's actually making room in his longer-term life for you without the obsessive touches of the start.

As for you, you want the narcissistic thrill of knowing you eat up 30% or more of his total time and effort because his effort levels define your feminine worth.

No way, Josefina.

The relationship is "decaying" or "moving into a new phase" depending on your POV. He's more mature than you and your demands are the antithesis of what will be deliverable over a longer timeframe.
Reply 48
Just reading this and I'd just like to point out that I'm lucky if I check my phone once in 4 hours (but then I only have a normal phone - like one that doesn't speak to me in Justin Bieber's voice or tell me what the weather is like in Nicaragua at the weekend - so don't use it for anything other than texting or making calls). I regularly take quite a while to respond to texts, simply because I've not seen them or when I do read them it's at an inconvenient time, I mean to text back later and forget.

Guys are inherently **** at constantly communicating their plans and actions (at least the majority I know are). I live with my girlfriend and the other week had the cold shoulder the next day because I went to a house party and she expected me to be back around midnight and I wasn't back until the following morning at 7am. Now the sensible thing to do, may have been to text my girlfriend to say not to wait up for me... but I don't always do sensible! Cue hysterical phone call at 6.30am when she wakes up "where are you? you're still at the party?! you do realise it's now almost 7 in the morning?! thanks for letting me know you weren't coming home last night!"

Anyway, I think you should cut him some slack... some guys are really bad at responding to texts, checking their phones etc. etc. - it's not because we don't care... we're just a bit useless!
Ha - after speaking to him and saying I'd phone him at some point today, I was busy revising all morning/early afternoon so he sent me a message when I hadn't called yet! Apparently he'd got a minor injury and had not much else to do other than sit around and wait for me to phone...

Hmmm, so how's it going now then?
Reply 50
Hmmm, so how's it going now then?

Fine, just now. Last time we spent time together he asked when he could see me again (he hadn't tried to make plans with me in advance for weeks)...and the next day I got a surprise text from him (when I was on a night out) asking how my day had been etc.

^ this is what he is usually like, but then goes through phases of being more distant. Last friday afternoon I contacted him, making general chit-chat and asking what he was upto that night - he didn't reply for a day or so and was really vague 'I wasn't upto much last night, no' - this is why I asked if he needed space - I get the impression he sometimes needs time to himself, but when I ask if he does, he says no! It happens without any real apparent reason/is very confusing at the time, then goes back to normal just as quickly :confused:

Right now I'm focusing on studying and am better for it. :smile:
Reply 51
Original post by Malkmus
Just reading this and I'd just like to point out that I'm lucky if I check my phone once in 4 hours (but then I only have a normal phone - like one that doesn't speak to me in Justin Bieber's voice or tell me what the weather is like in Nicaragua at the weekend - so don't use it for anything other than texting or making calls). I regularly take quite a while to respond to texts, simply because I've not seen them or when I do read them it's at an inconvenient time, I mean to text back later and forget.

Guys are inherently **** at constantly communicating their plans and actions (at least the majority I know are). I live with my girlfriend and the other week had the cold shoulder the next day because I went to a house party and she expected me to be back around midnight and I wasn't back until the following morning at 7am. Now the sensible thing to do, may have been to text my girlfriend to say not to wait up for me... but I don't always do sensible! Cue hysterical phone call at 6.30am when she wakes up "where are you? you're still at the party?! you do realise it's now almost 7 in the morning?! thanks for letting me know you weren't coming home last night!"

Anyway, I think you should cut him some slack... some guys are really bad at responding to texts, checking their phones etc. etc. - it's not because we don't care... we're just a bit useless!

'some guys are really bad at responding to texts, checking their phone etc' - this is true, but my guy isn't! He is practically glued to facebook when not working or out, he's definitely of the facebook generation if you know what I mean.

If I am with him and someone contacts him, he responds instantly. :rolleyes: Therfore, when he didn't respond about making plans for the next day yet I could see him responding to other people about conversations on random things, it was slightly irritating, yeah.
Reply 52
Original post by masterfulprof
The burden of "pursuing" is emotionally exhausting. If you'd ever done it, you'd know it.

The shine has worn off this relationship and yet you want the charge of his sparkly enthusiasm as if it were 8 months ago. He's trying to find a new, more sustainable mode in life, without demanding, obsessive girl txting, prompting, calling, IMing and FBing, all the time. He's actually making room in his longer-term life for you without the obsessive touches of the start.

As for you, you want the narcissistic thrill of knowing you eat up 30% or more of his total time and effort because his effort levels define your feminine worth.

No way, Josefina.

The relationship is "decaying" or "moving into a new phase" depending on your POV. He's more mature than you and your demands are the antithesis of what will be deliverable over a longer timeframe.

I am not asking for calls or messsages 'all the time' - that would drive me mad. But a bit of contact each day (give or take a day here and there sometimes) is fine because that's what I like in a relationship. Everyone has different expectations.

I don't think we need to get into a discussion about my 'feminine worth.' Put simply, he knew I had exams/it was a stressful time and that knowing when I was seeing him would help me plan out the rest of my day at uni. Yet knowing this, he chose not to respond.

I do, however, agree that the relationship is moving into a new phase. It's definitely a shift that I'm having to...shift into.
Fine, just now. Last time we spent time together he asked when he could see me again (he hadn't tried to make plans with me in advance for weeks)...and the next day I got a surprise text from him (when I was on a night out) asking how my day had been etc.

^ this is what he is usually like, but then goes through phases of being more distant. Last friday afternoon I contacted him, making general chit-chat and asking what he was upto that night - he didn't reply for a day or so and was really vague 'I wasn't upto much last night, no' - this is why I asked if he needed space - I get the impression he sometimes needs time to himself, but when I ask if he does, he says no! It happens without any real apparent reason/is very confusing at the time, then goes back to normal just as quickly :confused:

Right now I'm focusing on studying and am better for it. :smile:

I'm glad to hear that :smile: Hmmm, it's true that some people need space every now and again but it doesn't mean he has to be rude and completely blank you. I actually find the whole concept of not speaking everyday in a relationship bizarre (I mean what do people like that do when they're married and living together, give eachother the silent treament?) but hey I guess it might work for some people.

Thing is you're not comfortable with it and he does contact you enough sometimes. Inconsistancy is something that I personally wouldn't be able to deal with. I'd probabaly try and talk to him in a non attacky way, of just explaining that you feel confused and see what he has to say. A major red flag is if he deflects speaking about it/ says you're reading too much into things/ something along those lines.

At the same time, I would contact him less than he contacts you. It seems to be a common mentality of young guys that unless they're making the first move most the time they think their girlfriend is clingy.

I'm not inside your guys head so I can't say for sure, but my guess would be he really does like you, but he's not yet at that stage where he's sure that you're 'the one' so still pines for the 'freedom' of being single and when you contact him first because he's confused it'll have the effect of making him feel slightly smothered because it's clear how much you like him, so he's not afraid of losing you when he's rude. That's not to say you ARE smothering, guys minds are weird sometimes :P I wouldn't text him first more than twice a week for a while if I were you.
Reply 54
I'm glad to hear that :smile: Hmmm, it's true that some people need space every now and again but it doesn't mean he has to be rude and completely blank you. I actually find the whole concept of not speaking everyday in a relationship bizarre (I mean what do people like that do when they're married and living together, give eachother the silent treament?) but hey I guess it might work for some people.

Thing is you're not comfortable with it and he does contact you enough sometimes. Inconsistancy is something that I personally wouldn't be able to deal with. I'd probabaly try and talk to him in a non attacky way, of just explaining that you feel confused and see what he has to say. A major red flag is if he deflects speaking about it/ says you're reading too much into things/ something along those lines.

At the same time, I would contact him less than he contacts you. It seems to be a common mentality of young guys that unless they're making the first move most the time they think their girlfriend is clingy.

I'm not inside your guys head so I can't say for sure, but my guess would be he really does like you, but he's not yet at that stage where he's sure that you're 'the one' so still pines for the 'freedom' of being single and when you contact him first because he's confused it'll have the effect of making him feel slightly smothered because it's clear how much you like him, so he's not afraid of losing you when he's rude. That's not to say you ARE smothering, guys minds are weird sometimes :P I wouldn't text him first more than twice a week for a while if I were you.

Thanks for replying again! :smile:

Yeah, I agree and that's why I spoke to him. I'm not the sort of person that will put up with being blanked like that, no matter how much I care for the person.

This is really only the second time it's happened, but I think the first time it happened around the time the honeymoon period sort of ended. Like we were so absorbed in eachother, that he went back to being used to spending more time doing all the things he did before me - but to the extreme (in full single-mode), not finding the balance.

I haven't been contacting him like I would've before since then, I've just been getting on with things. Meanwhile, he's been the one initiating contact, and when I haven't heard from him, I haven't been anxious at all. So although he's going out with friends etc, he's not ignoring me!

What you said about possibly not thinking I'm 'the one'...I agree. I think that's the root of all this - he ignores me in a way I'd never ignore him, so it makes me think/scares me to consider that he doesn't feel as strongly as I do. I don't necessarily think he's the one yet either, but I do know that I love him and am feel loved/happy with him most of the time.
Reply 55
This reminds me of something I read once:

"Men are like elastic bands, sometimes they like to strech and get as far away from you as they can, but eventually they have enough and they come pinging back close."

:tongue:
Reply 56
A few others have nailed it already. Tell him but just dont be hostile and it'll be fine.
Original post by FrigidSymphony
He probably feels under pressure from you as well, and is responding (not to well) by being a bit apathetic about it. I can do the same sometimes, and my girlfriend is similar on occasion. Maybe you can make some plans well in advance so you're not depending on his lacklustre texting enthusiasm. "We're going to dinner on Saturday and seeing the Avengers afterwards!"

I was put off initially by the "independent Scotland" signature but I pushed through and enjoyed your post :smile:

DEFINITELY make a plan for him, he could be getting tired of doing all the work and decided to let off the gas a bit to see how interested you were. It turns out you're very interested, so if he goes for your plan and you both have a good time, you're laughing.

Alternatively, if he says he's busy/doesn't want to, you could have bigger problems because it means he's NOT testing your interest. At this point you should definitely talk to him about how you're feeling. A pro-tip I learnt from my current girlfriend is that you should say ahead of time: "I need to talk to you about something important later", this is a really excellent way of getting his attention and he will probably be much more engaged when you actually do talk to him. Then explain how you've been feeling and ask him why you think he might have been behaving like this. Ask him if he's not as interested in you as he used to be. Ask if there's a chance he's taking the relationship for granted. Don't be accusatory, just suggest some possibilities so you can work out where you both stand in the relationship, then try to work out how you can go from there to make you both happy within the relationship.

All the best.
Thanks for replying again! :smile:

Yeah, I agree and that's why I spoke to him. I'm not the sort of person that will put up with being blanked like that, no matter how much I care for the person.

This is really only the second time it's happened, but I think the first time it happened around the time the honeymoon period sort of ended. Like we were so absorbed in eachother, that he went back to being used to spending more time doing all the things he did before me - but to the extreme (in full single-mode), not finding the balance.

I haven't been contacting him like I would've before since then, I've just been getting on with things. Meanwhile, he's been the one initiating contact, and when I haven't heard from him, I haven't been anxious at all. So although he's going out with friends etc, he's not ignoring me!

What you said about possibly not thinking I'm 'the one'...I agree. I think that's the root of all this - he ignores me in a way I'd never ignore him, so it makes me think/scares me to consider that he doesn't feel as strongly as I do. I don't necessarily think he's the one yet either, but I do know that I love him and am feel loved/happy with him most of the time.

That's ok :smile: Well I'm pleased to say you seem to have your head screwed on, and a mature healthy attitude. It sounds like everything is getting back on the right track! I wouldn't worry about it him not thinking you are 'the one' yet though. Some people say they know straight away, others definetly take their time:My best friends boyfriend is going to propose to her on her birthday... this is the same guy who broke up with her on their three months (they've been together quite a number of years now!)

And sometimes the people who think they ' just know' straight away, don't realise what love is. My ex called me his soulmate, spent the last two chrismas's with his family (ok so it wasn't exactly short but he 'knew' after a couple months), told the lads I was the one and he knew I was going to be his wife etc which was a huge deal seeing as they were the type to take the piss out of everything.

Then he met someone at said uni and cheated on me with her after knowing her for three weeks, about a month or so later signed a lease to move in with just her come this autumn... Ironically he firmed the uni he's at, so he could stay close to me :rolleyes:

Sorry for the tangent, the point is don't worry, it doesn't mean anything at this stage... if he'd been with you for three years (and was over 21 at this stage) and was still unsure, then I'd perhaps start to worry!
Reply 59
DO NOT do the same thing back! He can't read your mind and for some reason (especially with us women) we assume they can. Communication is key and it appears you know this since you have already tried talking to him about it. Therefore, continue communicating! Tell him exactly what you typed here and explain to him the result you want. Otherwise you'll never see change.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending