The Student Room Group

The Edexcel M2 (31/05/12 - AM) Revision Thread

Scroll to see replies

Will you still get full marks if you use an alternative method but get the right answer?
Reply 81
Oh god, dreading this now. I just hate the collisions and moments questions.

Also the energy questions throw me sometimes, I just end up doing the wrong calculation. :/

Pretty confident on the whole differentiation thing and impulses though.
Original post by snow leopard
Post #49

Thank you dude!
Reply 83
Original post by Amr314
can someone give advice on this question?

a particle is projected from a point on level ground with a speed (u) ms-1 and at an angle (alpha).

Maximum height: 42m
range: 196m

Find u and alpha..

The two variables are really throwing me off

Ok, you know that

42=u2sin2α19.6 42 = \frac{u^2sin^2\alpha}{19.6}
So, u2sin2α=823.2 u^2sin^2\alpha = 823.2

t=837.29.8 t = \frac{\sqrt 837.2}{9.8}

Also you know
192=ucosα×2t 192 = ucos\alpha \times 2t

So, ucosα=940.8837.2ucos\alpha = \frac{940.8}{\sqrt 837.2}

And, u2cos2α=1057.22......... u^2cos^2\alpha = 1057.22.........

So, u=1880=43.4m/s(3sf)u = \sqrt 1880 = 43.4 m/s (3sf)

Sub back in to find alpha.

That's my best shot anyway, is a difficult one.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 84
Original post by HadrianH
Thanks a lot. I just need a little more practice.

Can you explain the angle from vertical/horizontal? :smile:

Yeah, just do a few exercises! The lucky thing about M2 is every question is the same principle, so if you do enough you'll get them every time :smile:

For the angle, I like to draw a picture firstly, helps me visualise.
The weight will go through the CofM which you figured out from a) then it's just trigonometry really.
I like to draw another diagram with just the main triangle (the weight going through the CofM and the y and x as the other sides to the triangle)
Just be sure to get your alpha/theta in the right place, and for some questions you may have to do the length of one side (L) - y to get the correct triangle..

I hope this is fairly clear :smile:
Reply 85
is this the basic method everyone uses for work energy principle:

total initial energy - work done against restive force + work done by engine/cyclist = final energy
and then sub everything in and just rearrange and find out what you need
or is there a better way
if som can you do a question with a turoial of how you go about
thanks

also, what the best way to practice on the night before,
Reply 86
Hi
Can someone kindly post a link for any relevant past papers? I am having difficulty accessing the Solomon papers. As many as possible would be appreciated. Mechanics has to become my middle name!

Cheers
Reply 87
Original post by aurao2003
Hi
Can someone kindly post a link for any relevant past papers? I am having difficulty accessing the Solomon papers. As many as possible would be appreciated. Mechanics has to become my middle name!

Cheers

http://www.mathspapers.co.uk/edexcel.html scroll down, all the past papers up to Jan 12.
Reply 88
Original post by Benjyxo
Yeah, just do a few exercises! The lucky thing about M2 is every question is the same principle, so if you do enough you'll get them every time :smile:

For the angle, I like to draw a picture firstly, helps me visualise.
The weight will go through the CofM which you figured out from a) then it's just trigonometry really.
I like to draw another diagram with just the main triangle (the weight going through the CofM and the y and x as the other sides to the triangle)
Just be sure to get your alpha/theta in the right place, and for some questions you may have to do the length of one side (L) - y to get the correct triangle..

I hope this is fairly clear :smile:

Thanks a lot, I appreciate your help.

Do you have any fairly challenging CoM questions that you can share? :biggrin:

Cheers!
Reply 89
Question 8 on January 2010 paper, what the ****.

I have the mark scheme, and I still have no idea what's going on. I get part a now in hindsight.

But parts b and c make no sense.

Anyone care to explain?
m2 y u make me do 1 silly mistake every paper? :mad:
Reply 91
Original post by Kaiser7
Can someone please explain Thrust to me? When does it happen, and in which direction does it act?

Any help please?
Reply 92
has anyone on here done the past paper from june 2007? for the first question it gives the answer as 32N, and this just doesn't seem to make any sense.
Reply 93
Original post by GnomeyD
has anyone on here done the past paper from june 2007? for the first question it gives the answer as 32N, and this just doesn't seem to make any sense.

It does make sense, I've done it. You have to work out the driving force first, by dividing their power by the speed of the car(or whatever it was). Then you have resolve along the plane and all forces going up the plane should equal to all forces going down the plane.
Original post by dsinghdahiya257
Will you still get full marks if you use an alternative method but get the right answer?

If it says, for example: by considering energy, calculate the velocity of P as it hits the ground, and you used a projectile method, you wouldn't get the marks, i'm not actually sure if you would get any. But if it didn't specify a method, you could do it an alternative way and get full marks as long as it actually works.
Original post by brittanna
If it says, for example: by considering energy, calculate the velocity of P as it hits the ground, and you used a projectile method, you wouldn't get the marks, i'm not actually sure if you would get any. But if it didn't specify a method, you could do it an alternative way and get full marks as long as it actually works.

Okay it has to specify...goood. :smile:
Reply 96
I actually don't understand the work energy principle. What is it?!
Reply 97
Original post by GnomeyD

Ahhhh! I've done this question and I'm assuming you've used sin alpha as 5 over 21? (well I guess you have because that's why I couldn't do it)

Sin alpha is actually 1 over 21 and the paper we have has a mistype on it.

Don't worry, I'm sure I spent longer raging over this than you did :L
Reply 98
Original post by JohnSimmons
Ahhhh! I've done this question and I'm assuming you've used sin alpha as 5 over 21? (well I guess you have because that's why I couldn't do it)

Sin alpha is actually 1 over 21 and the paper we have has a mistype on it.

Don't worry, I'm sure I spent longer raging over this than you did :L

Yes I have it as 5/21! thank you - I couldn't really see what I was doing wrong, so I'm glad it's a typo :smile:
Reply 99

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending