The Student Room Group

D1: Euler's hand-shaking leema

Can anyone explain this? The wording within the textbook is ambiguous.

Thanks.
The title of this thread made me go :lolwut:

What board is this on? I'm doing AQA D1 so never heard of this... lol
Reply 2
Original post by Kravez
Can anyone explain this? The wording within the textbook is ambiguous.

Thanks.

Let's call the people who shake hands an odd number of times Oddballs, and the other people Evies.

let OiO_i= the no. of handshakes the oddball numbered i makes.
let EiE_i= the no. of handshakes evie numbered i makes.

Let B=EiB= \sum E_i Then B is the the sum of handshakes made by all evies.
Let C=OiC= \sum O_i . Thus C is the the sum of handshakes made by all Oddballs.
Let A=Oi+EiA=\sum O_i+ \sum E_i . Then A be the the sum of handshakes made by every person.

Now we can show that A is even, since A double-counts the number of handshakes. If a handshake is made by (1,3) then we will have counted that handshake once for person 1 and another time under person 3. B is obviously even since each EiE_i is even. Thus C C must also be even as C=AB C=A-B and A A and B B are even.

Remember C=OiC= \sum O_i . Now if the number of OiO_i were odd, then CC would be the sum of an odd number of odd numbers and thus would be odd. This is a contradiction. Hence the number of OiO_i must be even- which is what Euler's theorem states.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Each edge in a graph is incident with precisely two vertices (its end points). Therefore the sum of the degrees of each of the vertices is twice the number of edges i.e. is even.

If there were an odd number of vertices with odd degrees then the sum of the degrees would be odd; thus there must be an even number of vertices with odd degrees.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by tania<3
The title of this thread made me go :lolwut:

What board is this on? I'm doing AQA D1 so never heard of this... lol

Edexcel
It's an example of the pigeonhole principle too.

Quick Reply

Latest