The Student Room Group

How to keep writing / not get tired hands during exams?

Hey, one issue I am quite concerned about is the fact that when I am doing an essay based exam, like English or RS, i find that after i have been writing for around 20 minutes I feel that I can't keep writing, and I have to take a 1-2 minute break. This is a problem because the exams I just mentioned have you write a lot of content in a short amount of time, and if i'm taking 2 minute breaks throughout the exam I end up losing 10 precious minutes. This was a problem for me during the year 11 mocks in november, where I didn't manage to finish one of the questions in the eng lang paper, and couldn't write down all the points i wanted to on the inspector calls question.

Does anyone else have this issue? What do you do to help it?
This is a problem I struggle with also. You could speak to your teachers about being tested for extra time however exams are very close so it would probably be too late to get tested( keep it in mind for A2 exams). The way I deal with tiredness is by using a pen that flows nicely. If I use a biro I feel as if I need to press the pen and this makes my hand tired. By using a pen that flows I don't need to press, my fingers will cramp a little but I really only notice it at the end. I recommend the bic cristal biro pens in 1.6mm. Go to wh smiths and bring a pad of paper and test all the pens to find the CHOSEN ONE :smile:
this sounds dumb right, but I reckon use inky pens because you don't have to press hard on the page to get impact. I use a biro and I found that my hand was hurting cos i was pressing hard on the page just out of habit of using a biro. I tried an inky pen and my hand was actually at ease for a large majority of my mocks. Butttttttt, inky pens give me ugly handwriting, so I pathetically still use a biro cos I'm a lil OCD

anyway, your hand should be hurting in an exam, best be scribbling down as much as you can, dear lord
Reply 3
Im used to writing alot without getting tired lol in most of my lessons we are forced to write essays or make alot of notes
Reply 4
Original post by Tsrsarahhhh
This is a problem I struggle with also. You could speak to your teachers about being tested for extra time however exams are very close so it would probably be too late to get tested( keep it in mind for A2 exams). The way I deal with tiredness is by using a pen that flows nicely. If I use a biro I feel as if I need to press the pen and this makes my hand tired. By using a pen that flows I don't need to press, my fingers will cramp a little but I really only notice it at the end. I recommend the bic cristal biro pens in 1.6mm. Go to wh smiths and bring a pad of paper and test all the pens to find the CHOSEN ONE :smile:

I'll go down there this weekend and see what I can find, thank you!
I have this problem a lot too, and my very helpful advice is to just suffer through it! :tongue:
For my English Language exam last week I had to write ridiculously quickly to get my whole 8 page story down in an hour. I managed it, but by the end of the exam my hand was shaking uncontrollably and it was proper painful.
It was ok the next day though.
Use plasters.Place them around finger/areas where it hurts most.Works for me (A bit)
Reply 7
Recently been struggling with arm pain recently too ... could be an underlying problem - best check yourself out for RSI or carpal tunnel after exams, but you might have to suffer this time. I believe there are exercises that you can do - seem to help me.
Plasters and willpower
Reply 9
Fight the pain barrier!
Idk, sometimes I write so fast that my hand is shaking uncontrollably after the exam.
In the mocks I physically could not tie my pieces of paper together at the end because my hands were un-usable :lol:
What they said, get a comfortable pen with good ink flow. Keep flexing your hand every now and then.
I have a really nasty grip, that gets very incomfy after extended writing. Upi just gave to keep going if none of your other prep works.

http://www.pentorium.com/2014/02/24/preventing-hand-fatigue-during-long-writing-sessions/
Reply 12
One of my teachers recommended 'hand exercises', as bizarre as this may sound. An example would be in scrunching up a piece of paper within your writing hand, as forcefully as you can, before opening it back up again - solely with that hand. Stretching your hand for a few seconds as it begins to ache is likely to ease the pain slightly. As has previously been mentioned, it is a good idea to see if you can find a more comfortable pen to use. :smile:
we all have this problem, don't worry about it. your hand will ache but what's more important, a pain in your hand or good results on results day? get a comfy pen (but PLEASE check it doesn't leak or spit out ink, this happened to me in mocks lol) and work through the pain. good luck :smile:
Practice writing timed essays and drink milk before the exam. Once in the exam and the emotions are high you'll not allow yourself to give in anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by babymarima
this sounds dumb right, but I reckon use inky pens because you don't have to press hard on the page to get impact. I use a biro and I found that my hand was hurting cos i was pressing hard on the page just out of habit of using a biro. I tried an inky pen and my hand was actually at ease for a large majority of my mocks. Butttttttt, inky pens give me ugly handwriting, so I pathetically still use a biro cos I'm a lil OCD
anyway, your hand should be hurting in an exam, best be scribbling down as much as you can, dear lord

I write 1 page (in around 15-30 mins 😭) and my hand already dies out

Quick Reply

Latest