The Student Room Group

For how long do you carry on writing?

After the exam invigilator stood at the front says "time's up", how long do you carry on writing for? (assuming you still have things to write). Normally I carry on for about 10 seconds, but is there an official rule for this? If I were to carry on writing until either my paper is collected or I am told to stop, could my paper get cancelled or would nothing happen?

I usually take my time in exams and often finish in the last minute. There have been occasions when I didn't finish the paper but I didn't know what the consequences would be if I carried on writing for another minute or so. Does anyone know the rules for this? And how long do YOU continue to write for?
The ones in our school usually let you go to the end of whatever sentence you're writing.
Although some people push it until the paper's collected - which isn't really fair if I'm sitting at the front and you're at the back or vice-versa; you could have written another three or four sentences by the time yours is collected.
So I always stop right as soon as they say 'time is up', by which point I've usually been finished for five or ten minutes anyway (so I can re-read what I wrote and take out any obvious errors).
Reply 2
Depends on my desperation. I've never pushed it more than when they're collecting papers closer than about half a row of desks away.
Reply 3
Could they cancel my paper if I continue until my paper actually gets collected?

Quick Reply

Latest