The Student Room Group

Cambridge MPhil Viva - what to expect?!

I have an MPhil viva coming up and I genuinely don't know what to expect, my supervisor's told me that the MPhil viva is easy compared to the PhD one and that I should just re-read my thesis. But I was hoping someone on here has done the Viva and can give me tips, tell me what sort of questions the examiners asked, and how long/difficult their viva was. My deparment was the Engineering department, but I'd be happy to hear from other subjects too! Thanks!
Original post by Anonymous
I have an MPhil viva coming up and I genuinely don't know what to expect, my supervisor's told me that the MPhil viva is easy compared to the PhD one and that I should just re-read my thesis. But I was hoping someone on here has done the Viva and can give me tips, tell me what sort of questions the examiners asked, and how long/difficult their viva was. My deparment was the Engineering department, but I'd be happy to hear from other subjects too! Thanks!

Yup, you just need to read it through so you remember what you said. You will get questions on why you used certain techniques and materials versus other materials, did you read/consider so and so's work and if so, why didn't you use it etc. They aren't trying to catch you out, and they aren't asking because you are wrong. Viva's for MPhils are for benchmarking, proving no contract writing, ie you wrote the paper (not that that is suspected, just carrying out a viva process ensures people don't risk paying for someone else to do the work), and sometimes for marginal grades where if you talk about it well, you can go up a grade (but never down).

All you need to do is defend why you wrote what you wrote. There are no traps.
Reply 2
Original post by threeportdrift
Yup, you just need to read it through so you remember what you said. You will get questions on why you used certain techniques and materials versus other materials, did you read/consider so and so's work and if so, why didn't you use it etc. They aren't trying to catch you out, and they aren't asking because you are wrong. Viva's for MPhils are for benchmarking, proving no contract writing, ie you wrote the paper (not that that is suspected, just carrying out a viva process ensures people don't risk paying for someone else to do the work), and sometimes for marginal grades where if you talk about it well, you can go up a grade (but never down).

All you need to do is defend why you wrote what you wrote. There are no traps.

Thanks, this is reassuring, also did you have to prepare a presentation for your viva?
Original post by Anonymous
Thanks, this is reassuring, also did you have to prepare a presentation for your viva?

Not a presentation as such, butt he first question is very likely to be something along the lines of 'Can you summarise your research question for us' and you need to have a 5 minute summary of the question, why it is significant, why you used the techniques you did, and what the results were and your conclusion. Assume you are talking to an academic but in another subject, ie bright but no subject specific knowledge.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending