The Student Room Group

The big "Evaluate My Routine" thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Dark Horse
What weights are you aiming for in your lifts before you move off SS?

As much as I can get before I stop recovering properly.
Reply 41
Do you think that would surpass 3 plates - squat, 2 plates - bench and 4 plates - DL?
Reply 42
Do you think that would surpass 3 plates - squat, 2 plates - bench and 4 plates - DL?

What's each plate worth? If 25kg, then no, if I remain at my current bw.
Reply 43
Original post by tooosh
What's each plate worth? If 25kg, then no, if I remain at my current bw.

A plate is 20kg.
Reply 44
A plate is 20kg.

If I manage to get my bw up then 3/2/4 plates is fair game I guess.
Reply 45
Original post by el.cheese
snip

Question to you, or anyone who knows, which is better out of chicken thigh and breast? A butchers near me has breast very cheap at £5/kg and it's fairly good quality. Not sure what the thigh price is, but nutritionally which is better for bulking?
Reply 46
Original post by tooosh
Question to you, or anyone who knows, which is better out of chicken thigh and breast? A butchers near me has breast very cheap at £5/kg and it's fairly good quality. Not sure what the thigh price is, but nutritionally which is better for bulking?

All I know is that the fat content is higher. And fat is obviously more kcal per gram.
It's poor.

No squatting, no overhead work, poor exercise placement and poor exercise selection. Zero free weight pulling work and far too much pressing. Your 'lower body' day is atrocious.

Do starting strength or stronglifts 5x5 till you plateau on those and then do something like 5/3/1. Training (especially for sports/performance) does not need to be complicated.
I would throw some pull ups (I hate the lat bar) and some variant on the shoulder press in there just looking at it quickly.
Original post by Dharp
Hey guys. I've been working out on and off for a year now and thought it time to add some structure to my workouts. Can you criticise/add some improvements? I do MMA on wednesday and friday so i only got one lower body day.
(going for hypertrophy style workout) (I'm 17,5'11) Done casual free weights etc. weights should be 60% of 1RM? :s-smilie: also any help on how to calculate that?)

Upper A
Bench Press 5x5
Chins 50 or as many as you can do in 10 mins
Power Cleans 5x3

Lower A
Squats 5x5
Leg Press 5x10-12
Stiff leg deadlift 5x10

Upper B
Press 5x5
Barbell Rows 5x10-12
Power Cleans 5x3

Lower B
Deadlift 5x5
Good Morning 5x10-12
Leg Curl 5x10-12

Do the workouts in sequence as many days per week as you like. Add in ab work 2x per week. Ab work must include some form of sit up and some form of leg raise. Shoot for 100 total reps. Also include 2x short conditioning sessions (less than 15 mins). Sprints are ideal for this. Shoot for 5 total sprints of 5-100 metres, take plenty of rest between sprints.

Fixed it for you.
Reply 50
This is ma workout
(Tues/Thurs/Sat)

Workout one
Squats 3x12 (90 RT)
Calf-raises 3x10 (30 RT)
Weighted sit-ups 3x10 (30 RT)
Dumbbell side/front arm raises 3x10 (60 RT)
Any of several grip exercises

Workout two
Bench Press 3x12 (60 RT)
Close-grip press 3x10 (60 RT)
Bent Rows 3x10 (30 RT)
Deadlifts 2x8 (90RT)
Pull-ups 3x12 (60 RT)

Workout three
Military Press 3x10 (60 RT)
Shrugs 3x12 (30 RT)
Barbell Curls 3x12 (30 RT)
Tricep Pulldowns (superset dips) 3x12
Dips 3x12 (60 RT)

Coupled with 30 mins of HIIT after every session.? (RT= Rest time between sets)
Reply 51
Try it for three months.
Original post by Dharp
This is ma workout
(Tues/Thurs/Sat)

Workout one
Squats 3x12 (90 RT)
Calf-raises 3x10 (30 RT)
Weighted sit-ups 3x10 (30 RT)
Dumbbell side/front arm raises 3x10 (60 RT)
Any of several grip exercises

Workout two
Bench Press 3x12 (60 RT)
Close-grip press 3x10 (60 RT)
Bent Rows 3x10 (30 RT)
Deadlifts 2x8 (90RT)
Pull-ups 3x12 (60 RT)

Workout three
Military Press 3x10 (60 RT)
Shrugs 3x12 (30 RT)
Barbell Curls 3x12 (30 RT)
Tricep Pulldowns (superset dips) 3x12
Dips 3x12 (60 RT)

Coupled with 30 mins of HIIT after every session.? (RT= Rest time between sets)

How long have you been training?
You should cut it down to just the basic compounds with maybe some dips/pulls. There's no need for all these isolations if you're just starting, and you should bring the rep number down to 5-8 and try to train your CNS response with some heavier weights.
Went to the gym for the first time ever, I basically just tried out pretty much every piece of equipment/machinery to familiarise myself with it all. Whole body is aching.

I'm planning to go gym Monday, Wednesday and Friday. I work on weekends.
Monday - Chests and Legs
Wednesday - Arms and Abs
Friday - Shoulders and Back

Does that sound alright or is that too little? Should I do more than that? Obviously I want to do as much work as I physically can without overdoing it.

I'm open to other suggestions.

I'm a fairly skinny guy, I'm not aiming to become really hench like a wrestler or body builder. I'm just aiming for something like this. http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-vtNodenXeLs/TeXs95Wq0QI/AAAAAAAAApc/gsh2L6TMs3Q/s1600/20110601_nichkhun_coke_1.jpg
Reply 54
You would get the most response with high frequency, low volume and high intensity training. Programs like Starting Strength or Stronglifts. After you get rid of body fat after you finish the program, you'll have a body similar to that. Probably a bit bigger.
hi i am 14 years old and i want to build up my biceps i have started uses 5kg dung-bells but i don't really know what is the right weight or repetition for my age.
please can i someone help????
Original post by isaacrogers
hi i am 14 years old and i want to build up my biceps i have started uses 5kg dung-bells but i don't really know what is the right weight or repetition for my age.

Remember to wash your hands.

Have a look in the TSR Muscle building thread. There'll be loads of advice for newbies there.#
Reply 57
Yep, I advise you do sets of 20 whilst leaning back on a swiss ball, really develops your upper-lower core too. Biceps + six-pack = hench. Soon enough you'll be beasting 10KG. No need to thank me. Good luck.
Reply 58
There's no such thing as right reps for your age. Muscle building is in the range of 8-12 reps, 3 sets should be fine. You need to increase the weight every time you can manage 3x12 at least so one 5kg DB is a but useless

Just training biceps is stupid though.
Original post by isaacrogers

Don't listen to the other meat heads on here, don't go above 5kg, just get toned. Girls don't like huge guys.

Quick Reply

Latest