The Student Room Group

Fitness FAQ - Fat/Weightloss/Bulking

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Original post by ron20
Intermittent fasting.

- Fast for 16 hours
- Eat within a 8 hour window.

I myself have lost 15kg doing this and still another 10~ to go. My maintenance is set at 1800, 20% deficit is 1440 calories per day. I tried to do it the normal way, I felt hungry and kept cheating.

Then I started this and now I consume food that I enjoy eating(brb ice cream, jelly, etc) and fully meet my macros, feel full at the end of the day and lose weight at a moderate rate with NO cardio done whatsoever. All my lifts are still raising (somehow) at a steady rate.

Please don't talk about something that you know absolutely NOTHING about. Keep all that broscience to yourself brah.

Broscience brah? One of the zyzz generation who must know it all because he eats ice cream and loses weight. As you clearly expressed there, you lift, which unless I am mistaken is exercise. At a guess I would say you do this frequently, which would therefore mean frequent exercise... Although your diet might be drastic recommending it to someone who is obviously just beginning is bad advice.
What is your fitness like? I'm a diet expert, so I can write you a program based on the exercise you'd perform per day. Essentially you need to be having kcal out > kcal in, and eating clean with smaller portions. Diet is probably more essential to fat loss than exercise, but exercise helps a lot, obviously.

Check out my fitness blog where I intend to get about 10kg in 8 weeks myself, you being a lot heavier than me, if you followed the same program (minimal carb, high protein, high veg, very intense exercise - though you won't be able to do the same intensity as me), you could achieve good results.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2059875
Reply 382
Original post by tooosh
Leg presses and PC dominant lunges would be my choices for legs without squatting or deadlifting tbh.

I'm not majorly experienced as far as the gym is concerned but I do a lot of cycling and that built up my leg muscles exponentially more than any other sport has built them up. So correct me if I'm wrong but I think spin bikes are good as well.
Reply 383
Original post by hawkesy_1
http://stronglifts.com/5-reasons-why-you-should-eat-breakfast/

http://panlasangpinoy.com/2010/06/25/32-reasons-why-you-need-to-eat-breakfast/

http://www.guardianeatright.co.uk/news/article.cfm?article_id=1178

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/loseweight/Pages/how-to-diet.aspx

Anyone can find loads of links to justify a point. The difference is the NHS is a reliable source. Also as you will clearly see, fasting slows down the metabolic rate and therefore the speed at which we burn fat. It is a survival mechanism to conserve energy.

Do you even read the links that you posted? This is from YOUR link.
http://stronglifts.com/5-reasons-why-you-should-eat-breakfast
1. Lose Fat. Eating breakfast won't speed up your metabolism. Research shows fasting does not decrease your metabolism, neither do frequent meals increase it. But having breakfast does help fat loss by improving your diet.
On the other links, all the main points were: "Skipping breakfast makes you grouchy"
or "Smarter people eat breakfast" /facepalm.

Same 'blog' link.

http://www.leangains.com/2010/10/top-ten-fasting-myths-debunked.html

4. Myth: Fasting tricks the body into "starvation mode".

Truth

Efficient adaptation to famine was important for survival during rough times in our evolution. Lowering metabolic rate during starvation allowed us to live longer, increasing the possibility that we might come across something to eat. Starvation literally means starvation. It doesn't mean skipping a meal not eating for 24 hours. Or not eating for three days even. The belief that meal skipping or short-term fasting causes "starvation mode" is so completely ridiculous and absurd that it makes me want to jump out the window.

Looking at the numerous studies I've read, the earliest evidence for lowered metabolic rate in response to fasting occurred after 60 hours (-8% in resting metabolic rate). Other studies show metabolic rate is not impacted until 72-96 hours have passed (George Cahill has contributed a lot on this topic).

Seemingly paradoxical, metabolic rate is actually increased in short-term fasting. For some concrete numbers, studies have shown an increase of 3.6% - 10% after 36-48 hours (Mansell PI, et al, and Zauner C, et al). This makes sense from an evolutionary perspective. Epinephrine and norepinephrine (adrenaline/noradrenaline) sharpens the mind and makes us want to move around. Desirable traits that encouraged us to seek for food, or for the hunter to kill his prey, increasing survival. At some point, after several days of no eating, this benefit would confer no benefit to survival and probably would have done more harm than good; instead, an adaptation that favored conservation of energy turned out to be advantageous. Thus metabolic rate is increased in short-term fasting (up to 60 hours).

Again, I have choosen extreme examples to show how absurd the myth of "starvation mode" is - especially when you consider that the exact opposite is true in the context of how the term is thrown around.

Origin

I guess some genius read that fasting or starvation causes metabolic rate to drop and took that to mean that meal skipping, or not eating for a day or two, would cause starvation mode.
Original post by Anonymous
Firstly, I know the maximum healthy weight loss should be 1-2 lb a week.

Im 18, and about to start University very soon. I am 5"11 and weigh about 100kg. I've always been a little lardier that the average person, but now it is ridiculous. I have dieted throught my life, exercised but I can never seem to loose weight.

I start University in less than 8 weeks and I really need to get (ideally) to around 80kg. Society may try to deny this but people generally don't want to be friends with fat people, or at least this is what I've experienced.

So what should I be doing? Cutting out carbs?

How many calories should I be eating a day.

What kind of exercises should I be doing, and how often per week

Is this possible?

Any other advice would be great.

ps. I don't live near a gym, the nearest one is about 30 miles away as I live in rural Scotland at the moment with my Father. I can't afford a personal trainer. and finally, I can't run, but my father owns a rowing machine and an exercise bike.

I don't really go out a lot at the moment because all of my friends are back in England, so my days consist of working at the local pub (washing up, :/ ) or reading.

Thank you, and please no rude comments, I know I'm fat, hence why I'm trying to do something.

I'm the same height as you and 91 kilos, and I am certainly not fat. Jesus.

Edit - why the neg?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 385
Broscience brah? One of the zyzz generation who must know it all because he eats ice cream and loses weight. As you clearly expressed there, you lift, which unless I am mistaken is exercise. At a guess I would say you do this frequently, which would therefore mean frequent exercise... Although your diet might be drastic recommending it to someone who is obviously just beginning is bad advice.

I lift 3 times a week. Plus when did I say that I don't 'exercise'? I said that I don't do CARDIO. Not exercise.. Do you really think someone in his position is ready to give everything up? He'll want to indulge in a little bit of ice cream as I do.
Reply 386
Original post by Dinnes
I'm not majorly experienced as far as the gym is concerned but I do a lot of cycling and that built up my leg muscles exponentially more than any other sport has built them up. So correct me if I'm wrong but I think spin bikes are good as well.

They are good when you turn the resistance up, but if your aims are strength or size then you're better served doing weights.
Original post by ron20
Intermittent fasting.

- Fast for 16 hours

I myself have lost 15kg doing this and still another 10~ to go. My maintenance is set at 1800, 20% deficit is 1440 calories per day. I tried to do it the normal way, I felt hungry and kept cheating.

Then I started this and now I consume food that I enjoy eating(brb ice cream, jelly, etc) and fully meet my macros, feel full at the end of the day and lose weight at a moderate rate with NO cardio done whatsoever. All my lifts are still raising (somehow) at a steady rate.

Please don't talk about something that you know absolutely NOTHING about. Keep all that broscience to yourself brah.

Your calories seem too low. It's BMR x activity level - 20%, you must be very light/short for BMR x AL lifting three times a week to be 1,800.
There is this diet celebs go on. I can't remember what it's called but I do know the details of it.

It goes something like have dinner for breakfast and breakfast for dinner in terms of the portions and certain food types. Don't ever skip a meal though, and have very light snacks with like crackers with salmon or tuna.

I don't recommend taking laxatives at all! Lots of girls try that but only ended up in hospitals severely dehydrated. I've maintained my weight for almost 5 years and I've only recently observed why.

After every meal I take, I'd automatically go to the toilet exactly after 15 mins. However this doesn't work for homecook healthy meals so my only deduction is that my body automatically gets rid of its toxins. You could try and get that into practice by training your body to go to the toilet an hour or 2 after a meal. I read that it takes 4 hours to digest food and absorb nutrients from food but I don't know how long it takes for the body to figure out the nutrients from the toxins before they are dispelled.

Personally my metabolism rate is around 1600, which is higher than the average female of around 900- 1200. The average male metabolism is around 1800- 2100. Check with a dietician or a nutritionist about the adequate amount of nutrition you need everyday. I've also heard that metabolism rates can be increased by exercising (my psychology teacher says that the enthusiasm to exercise helps as well) and keeping yourself busy with positive activities and optimistic thoughts.
Original post by Anonymous
Firstly, I know the maximum healthy weight loss should be 1-2 lb a week.

Im 18, and about to start University very soon. I am 5"11 and weigh about 100kg. I've always been a little lardier that the average person, but now it is ridiculous. I have dieted throught my life, exercised but I can never seem to loose weight.

I start University in less than 8 weeks and I really need to get (ideally) to around 80kg. Society may try to deny this but people generally don't want to be friends with fat people, or at least this is what I've experienced.

So what should I be doing? Cutting out carbs?

How many calories should I be eating a day.

What kind of exercises should I be doing, and how often per week

Is this possible?

Any other advice would be great.

ps. I don't live near a gym, the nearest one is about 30 miles away as I live in rural Scotland at the moment with my Father. I can't afford a personal trainer. and finally, I can't run, but my father owns a rowing machine and an exercise bike.

I don't really go out a lot at the moment because all of my friends are back in England, so my days consist of working at the local pub (washing up, :/ ) or reading.

Thank you, and please no rude comments, I know I'm fat, hence why I'm trying to do something.

So around 2.5 kg a week? which is around 5 pounds. So you need a calorie deficit of 17500. So you need to burn around 2500 per day. (Correct me if I'm wrong). Erm I'm not sure how possible that is, but try eating around 1200 calories a day and running/jogging 5-10 miles every day. :dontknow:
Reply 390
Original post by ron20
Do you even read the links that you posted? This is from YOUR link.
http://stronglifts.com/5-reasons-why-you-should-eat-breakfast
1. Lose Fat. Eating breakfast won't speed up your metabolism. Research shows fasting does not decrease your metabolism, neither do frequent meals increase it. But having breakfast does help fat loss by improving your diet.
On the other links, all the main points were: "Skipping breakfast makes you grouchy"
or "Smarter people eat breakfast" /facepalm.

Same 'blog' link.

http://www.leangains.com/2010/10/top-ten-fasting-myths-debunked.html

4. Myth: Fasting tricks the body into "starvation mode".

Truth

Efficient adaptation to famine was important for survival during rough times in our evolution. Lowering metabolic rate during starvation allowed us to live longer, increasing the possibility that we might come across something to eat. Starvation literally means starvation. It doesn't mean skipping a meal not eating for 24 hours. Or not eating for three days even. The belief that meal skipping or short-term fasting causes "starvation mode" is so completely ridiculous and absurd that it makes me want to jump out the window.

Looking at the numerous studies I've read, the earliest evidence for lowered metabolic rate in response to fasting occurred after 60 hours (-8% in resting metabolic rate). Other studies show metabolic rate is not impacted until 72-96 hours have passed (George Cahill has contributed a lot on this topic).

Seemingly paradoxical, metabolic rate is actually increased in short-term fasting. For some concrete numbers, studies have shown an increase of 3.6% - 10% after 36-48 hours (Mansell PI, et al, and Zauner C, et al). This makes sense from an evolutionary perspective. Epinephrine and norepinephrine (adrenaline/noradrenaline) sharpens the mind and makes us want to move around. Desirable traits that encouraged us to seek for food, or for the hunter to kill his prey, increasing survival. At some point, after several days of no eating, this benefit would confer no benefit to survival and probably would have done more harm than good; instead, an adaptation that favored conservation of energy turned out to be advantageous. Thus metabolic rate is increased in short-term fasting (up to 60 hours).

Again, I have choosen extreme examples to show how absurd the myth of "starvation mode" is - especially when you consider that the exact opposite is true in the context of how the term is thrown around.

Origin

I guess some genius read that fasting or starvation causes metabolic rate to drop and took that to mean that meal skipping, or not eating for a day or two, would cause starvation mode.

Not sure why you highlighted the first point, that backs up my point that fasting doesn't increase metabolism, I never said breakfast would speed it up. The second point highlights a lower metabolic rate when fasting, also backing up my point. And the third point highlighted, I concede does back up your point. However it does state 'in the short-term' which would not be suitable for a lifestyle change as I am suggesting the OP should consider.
I'm not to sure overall how any of those articles contradict what I have said (bar the last point in bold, which like I said is applicable to a short-term diet plan).
I think it's best to adopt a positive stance. I've re-read your post and found out that i've missed the last bit so my advice about visiting a dietician is ridiculous and they're also pretty expensive. I learned from Psychology that a depressed or a negative mood that is adopted constantly causes the body to slow down in their functions, especially the immune system and stress or negativity causes the digestive system to shut down temporarily. Since you live in the countryside, that's great because you get a lot of chances to travel on your feet!

If given the chance I would like to walk around the countryside with a little basket of sandwiches and scones, enjoy the greenery and be carefree! Sounds silly, but I'd also make my own produce if I could; that way I kinda work out as I knead some dough and I know what I'm eating will always be healthy because I made them! hahaha but seriously, no cause for alarm! you're 5'11!!! it's okay to be 100kg! I never do understand why people don't like being friends with fat people it's just ridiculous and I can't even call it shallow because what's so shallow about hanging out with fat people???

anyway, don't stress yourself out about issues like these! as long as you are well and healthy you are absolutely fine!!!! :smile:
If this was a young person with a naturally fast metabolism, it would be possible. As it is, this is an extremely ambitious target. As in, not worth trying.

I'd say a better target would be 10kg off in 8 weeks, continuing the effort into university term. You don't make all friends instantly at uni - social groups take weeks to form, and first impressions are overrated. Even that would be really tough, but is far less likely to just result in early demoralisation when it quickly becomes obvious you can't consistently lose 3kg per week.

Exercise, exercise, exercise. Don't push yourself to the limit - you will quickly learn to dread exercising and lead to you giving up. Put in like 80% effort but go for a long time. Interval training might have some benefit for weight loss - HIIT is fashionable atm - but again, it won't do anything if you push yourself too hard then never want to do it again.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by ron20
Intermittent fasting.

- Fast for 16 hours

What makes you think that you wouldn't have lost those 15kg by eating the same amount of calories over a 24hr period instead of 8?

Saying "well I didn't have the willpower and kept cheating" doesn't count as a reason btw
I'm guessing that you are implying I am completely wrong. Fasting is not a healthy way to lose weight and it will inevitably lead to the weight being put back on. You cannot fast forever if you plan on surviving. Even if the OP did fast he still wouldn't lose 20kg in 8 weeks.
And for the record, sending me a link to 1 persons blog (who might I add is not in the same situation as the OP) is far from creditable evidence of why I am incorrect to suggest a healthy diet and exercise will help him lose weight.

"Not a healthy way", evidence? Because there is plenty of evidence to the contrary.
Why is the weight "inevitably " going to be put back on? What are you basing that on?

Intermittent fasting absolutely works as many studies have shown. It's not the only way to lose weight but it is an effective way. You need to do some more research.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 395
I understand your need to lose weight. And if it makes you happy, then of course it's your choice to do that.

BUT if someone doesn't want to be friends with you because you're fat, then why the piss would you want to be friends with them?! If they're genuinely shallow enough to have that opinion, then it's likely that they're going to be pretty ****ty friends.

So yeah, lose weight. But don't do it to cater to other people's opinions of what is and what isn't an acceptable size, do it for yourself.
Reply 396
Intermittent fasting - 1500cals a day, a weightlifting program like Starting Strength three/four times a week and HIIT twice a week. You will not lose 20kg but you will lose a lot if you are consistent! Drink lots of water as well, I think it helps with fat burning and it definitely helps with suppressing hunger.

The advice on here is verging on terrible. The idea of fasting and simply skipping meals to lose as much weight as possible is not true. You need to cut down on portion size considerably, exercise a lot more and eat the correct foods. At 100kg and 5 1" you need to cut down on fats but I wouldn't worry too much about carbs.
An example would be weetabix for breakfast, fruit and a ham sandwich for lunch then chicken and a baked potato for tea. As you can see this is far from drastic but combine that with an increased exercise plan and you will be there. Tbh healthy doesn't come easy and losing 20kg in 8 weeks is unreasonable and not a very realistic goal. Set yourself an attainable goal then when you achieve that move on, otherwise you will have low motivation because your goal is always out of reach.
Finally you need to make sure you are doing this for the right reason. Uni is completely different to school and college, people are a lot more diverse and in my experience no one was targeted or excluded because of a bit of extra weight.
Look for a gradual change and an overall healthier lifestyle. Not just 8 weeks of a crash diet, this will cause you to yo yo and gain the weight straight back.
Good luck :smile:

Fasting bad? Cut down on dietary fat to lose fat? No. Intermittent fasting isn't really fasting in the conventional sense, you get the EXACT same calories and food and amount of food per day as you would not fasting but you have to eat it in a specific time frame.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 397
Original post by Arturo Bandini
What makes you think that you wouldn't have lost those 15kg by eating the same amount of calories over a 24hr period instead of 8?

Saying "well I didn't have the willpower and kept cheating" doesn't count as a reason btw

Calories in vs. calories out. 24 hours = 8 hours. You're right about that.

However, I'm currently cutting on 1450 calories to get a 20% deficit. This is quite low, for anyone.. Before I started IF, I would separate all my calories through different stages of the day as you probably do. I found myself getting more hungry at night and cheating more.

With IF, I eat within a 8 hour window which means that I eat through mostly one part of the day and at night I'm always full & never hungry.

Benefits of IF:
http://www.theiflife.com/advantages-intermittent-fasting-feeding/
http://rippedbody.jp/intermittent-fasting-leangains-introduction-benefits/
From those sites:

After eating, there is no fat burning going on. -Your body uses it’s glycogen stores (from the carbohydrates you eat) for energy. However throughout the fast your body gradually switches from glycogen stores to using body fat for energy. After 16 hours of fasting, you are burning almost entirely fat.
How Intermittent Fasting specifically helps

I.F creates an ‘ideal state’ of fat burning (at the 12-16 hour window) everyday. Almost all energy expenditure at this point, whether intentional (cardio) or just going about one’s daily activities, will lead to almost pure fat oxidization.

Perhaps this explains why those that use I.F. manage to get so lean so quickly without using cardio.
I don't even think 20kg in 8 weeks is possible let alone healthy.
That's a lot of weight to lose in a short period of time. Honestly i think you are best setting yourself realistic weight loss goals, because this one seems a bit extreme to me.

Quick Reply

Latest