The Student Room Group

Fitness FAQ - Fat/Weightloss/Bulking

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Moonlight_
Is it possible to lose 2 stone in 3 months by working out 3 times a week and eating around 1,250 calories?

This is also my ideal target for 3 months, but don't think I could live off 1250 calories >.<
Reply 61
Original post by Sam_a225
This is also my ideal target for 3 months, but don't think I could live off 1250 calories >.<

Funnily enough, I'm not a bad eater, it's just the times when I decide to go on a chocolate binge :ahee: but tbh, I think with enough willpower, which I KNOW I have, I can control it :colondollar: For example, today, all I've had is....

one portion of weetabix with 80ml of semi-skimmed milk (only ate 2/3)

3/4 of a plate with pasta, mixed with 2 fish fingers and a teeny bit of tomato ketchup (disgusting it may sound, but honestly, it's sooo yummy!) :colone:
....and a milk ice lolly thing (85 calories)

That doesn't sound too bad...does it? :s-smilie:

I think involving exercise in my routine is my biggest step, and I really want to lose as much weight as possible but I don't know how much cardio/weight/resistance training to do etc...

I'm soo lost :colondollar:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 62
Original post by Sam_a225
I have decided to try the couch to 5k thing http://www.c25k.com/. It's 3 days a week and only 30min so I guess I'll just do what ever else I feel like while i'm there :smile:

It doesn't sound my thing tbh, I'd much rather prefer using the rowing machine non-stop than running for 30 minutes :tongue:
I just finished bulking and started my cut the other day ago

Yesterday I did a very intense 20 minutes of HIIT on the exercise bike. I threw up minutes after I got off the bike, is this normal? How do I stop the nausea? :s-smilie:
Reply 64
Original post by The Doggfather

Yesterday I did a very intense 20 minutes of HIIT on the exercise bike. I threw up minutes after I got off the bike, is this normal? How do I stop the nausea? :s-smilie:

Do a bit less then build up slower
Reply 65
Hi everyone, i have been reading many threads about losing weight etc. I am 6 ft 4 and weigh 257 lbs. I have become lazy bugger over the last 6 months but it is now time for a change.

I have cut all white carbs from my diet and have lowered my sugar intake considerably. Eating lots of lean protein and vegetables. I think im eating at a caloric deficit but im not 100% sure.

Since last Saturday i have been to the gym 4 times doing about 1 hour of cardio work.

If i keep this as a consistent routine do you think i will start to lose weight and become healthier.

Cheers for the replies.
I haven't been to the gym properly in almost two years. I have clearly gained weight, even when you consider any growth. The main reason I stopped was because of injury. A few years ago I broke my left collar, and also broke my right arm a few years before that. So too much weight can act down and hurt. That left me unable to exercise for a few days (even cycling would hurt my back and shoulders. Exercise had to be completely cut out).

I also don't have the best knees. My legs can be strong, but again it's the joint which stops me first.

So I'm wondering where best to start. I'd like to do a lot of cardio. I enjoy cycling, but this weather is off putting. I can happily cycle for 10 miles or so without getting exhausted - And I'd like to increase that distance vastly. I only have a mountain bike, so I'm hoping the extra resistance will help my strength. I need to improve the joints, but I also want to get incredibly fit in the next 8-12 weeks ready for university.

I also wonder what's wrong with my gym ethic (when I am able to go). I've noticed that if I do weights, I can do many many sets, but I don't get any feel of accomplishment from it. I'm using a lower weight to what I was used to (like 8-10kg compared to the 20-22kg I was using when I stopped a few years ago) and it was a challenge getting that muscle memory back, but now I feel tired but no sense of accomplishment. I can do lots and lots of reps, and after 60-90 minutes at the gym, I just have to stop because I know I'm only doing damage. I'm used to getting that pumped up feeling, but it's not happening.

So what could you suggest? I have work today and tomorrow at annoying hours, but I'm free Sunday onwards. I do have PAYG gym membership, and might go full-time if I can get into a decent enough rhythm.

What sort of exercise would you suggest I do, or could you help me to create a work out plan for this?

Cheers
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Kloten
Hi everyone, i have been reading many threads about losing weight etc. I am 6 ft 4 and weigh 257 lbs. I have become lazy bugger over the last 6 months but it is now time for a change.

I have cut all white carbs from my diet and have lowered my sugar intake considerably. Eating lots of lean protein and vegetables. I think im eating at a caloric deficit but im not 100% sure.

Since last Saturday i have been to the gym 4 times doing about 1 hour of cardio work.

If i keep this as a consistent routine do you think i will start to lose weight and become healthier.

Cheers for the replies.

Measure your food out and calculate your expenditure to make sure.
Assuming you are in a deficit you will lose weight, however you are on the slippery slope to skinny fat. Add in some resistance training.
Reply 68
incredibly fit in the next 8-12 weeks isn't happening. It's not long enough unless you have a very low standard of incredible. You can get a fair bit fitter though and set yourself on the right path to getting incredibly fit

Don'y lift for 90mins. Go in warm up, lift for 45-60mins at the most, cool down. Whole thing should be done within 90mins if you are on the ball. Set yourself real goals to work towards- as in how much do you want to lift on what lift, not a general more muscle. Have a program with linear progression, part because you are noob enough for it to work for you and part because the progress is obvious.

Talk to a physio about your injuries. Doing it now will save you hurting yourself and getting de-motivated later. If a physio isn't possible try your GP but you are less likely to get helpful information

Stronglift and starting strength are the two common programes suggested so start by looking at them

Also, diet. Learn about what you need to eat if you don't know much now.
Buy a bodybuilding magazine, it may be for stupidly big people but they do have some good tricks in there.
Original post by RowingGoose
Buy a bodybuilding magazine, it may be for stupidly big people but they do have some good tricks in there.

Lol, go back to sleep.
Original post by RollandGarros
Lol, go back to sleep.

Go back to sleep? It's true tho, bodybuilding magazines do have good tricks in. We all do weights at my rowing club for endurance but I don't know enough about it to post a good reply to this man - I only know the basics and just lift what my coach tells me to!
Reply 72
Original post by Scoobiedoobiedo
Measure your food out and calculate your expenditure to make sure.
Assuming you are in a deficit you will lose weight, however you are on the slippery slope to skinny fat. Add in some resistance training.

Thanks for the reply i will take your advice on board.
Original post by The Doggfather

I sometimes get a feeling of nausea after HIIT. This means you are either dehydrated or have over-exerted yourself. So if you vomited it's for similar reasons. Make sure you eat properly before as well.
Im currently 18, 6ft tall and 13 stone exactly. Ive worked my BMI to be 24.7 so im like on the borderline normal/overweight.

I recently started taking up swimming, swimming 2 miles a day plus some light freeweight lifting and 100 situps a day for 5 days a week.

Some people tell me that i should build up a calorie deficit but if you have quite a vigorous regular workout is this wise or would this be counter productive?

any advice would be great. cheers :smile:
Reply 75
What are you hoping to achieve by lifting light free weights and doing 100 sit ups 5 days a week?
Reply 76
I haven't got an answer for you, but PLEASE stop using BMI. It's so inaccurate... 13 stone for a 6ft guy seems very normal to me

First website of many I found on the matter:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=106268439
Original post by zjs
What are you hoping to achieve by lifting light free weights and doing 100 sit ups 5 days a week?

I want to burn fat and have light muscle toning, but not to build muscle or power. So the issue of a calory deficit is to burn fat quicker but is this the case?
Reply 78
Original post by zjs

There's usually only one reason people do sit-ups and that's for a 6 pack, just my guess?
Original post by iSMark
There's usually only one reason people do sit-ups and that's for a 6 pack, just my guess?

Well thats not really my intention although i wouldnt not want that. Its mainly because im carrying a bit of a 'spare tyre' i want to try and bring it down and i was assuming excerise around the abdominal area would address it the best way

Quick Reply

Latest