The Student Room Group

OCR B G491, 17th May 2012 Morning.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by When you see it...
I agree completely. I do like the topic on sensing/electricity though.
Does anyone disagree with me that materials is the worst topic on any AS exam EVER!

eww electricity :/
and yes materials are soo bad - im gonna learn off the mark schemes cos the answers they want are so specific
Reply 81
Original post by hihihihihi
Oh yea i read the question wrong, but i think the guy that posted it typed it wrong lol.

I am typing it word for word
You don't get study leave? That is harsh.

I'm 2nd year student all my A2 exams are in june. Got physics, chemistry, biology and maths fml.
Original post by rrfc
Good so far im getting these right...

8d) suggest why the maximum stress is a cable is limited to about 1/3 of its yield stress. [1]

Any value of stress above this value would lead to an elastic strain which is inappropriate for its function. Not sure about that one though, I'll have to check the MS.
Thanks for uploading these BTW. You don't need to upload any of section A because that has already been put up (I think, I'm confused with all the uploads on this thread so far!).
8d) suggest why the maximum stress is a cable is limited to about 1/3 of its yield stress. [1]

Yield stress is when plastic deformation occurs so to keep it well below the yield stress for safety.
I'm 2nd year student all my A2 exams are in june. Got physics, chemistry, biology and maths fml.

Oh right. Is this the only AS module you are sitting then?
Oh right. Is this the only AS module you are sitting then?

Yea I got a D (52/90) in jan 2011, I didnt even revise lol. It was COD black ops fault. I played that instead of revising=/
Original post by ser00
eww electricity :/
and yes materials are soo bad - im gonna learn off the mark schemes cos the answers they want are so specific

Is there anything you don't understand about electricity? I would be happy to explain (unless you want to know 'what is an electron?' lol).
Yea I got a D (52/90) in jan 2011, I didnt even revise lol. It was COD black ops fault. I played that instead of revising=/

COD isn't even a good game IMO. I hope you learnt your lesson lol.
Reply 89
Ok, I've been starting from section B anyway :L

9). A thermistor is to be used as a temperature sensor. It is connected in series with a fixed resistor in a potential divider circuit.

ai) Explain why the circuit can be described as a potential divider [1]

aii) The resistance of the thermistor decreases as the temperature rises. Explain why the p.d measured by the voltmeter across the fixed resistor increases as the temperature of the thermistor rises. [3]

b) all of b is to do with a graph which I can't upload ... Just about sensitivity not that hard
Original post by rrfc
I am typing it word for word

Ok, sorry can you post whole of question 9 in one go?

Nvm you posted it as i typed this lol.
9). A thermistor is to be used as a temperature sensor. It is connected in series with a fixed resistor in a potential divider circuit.

ai) Explain why the circuit can be described as a potential divider [1]
There are two resistors in a circuit so the emf is shared between them.
aii) The resistance of the thermistor decreases as the temperature rises. Explain why the p.d measured by the voltmeter across the fixed resistor increases as the temperature of the thermistor rises. [3]
the resistance of the fixed resistor stays constant. At the thermistor the current increases because resistance is decreasing so more current is flowing around the curcuit and V=IR so the p.d. at the fixed resistor increases

b) all of b is to do with a graph which I can't upload ... Just about sensitivity not that hard
Reply 92
Is there anything you don't understand about electricity? I would be happy to explain (unless you want to know 'what is an electron?' lol).

that would be amazing!! :biggrin:

ummm...where to start :tongue:

i know total current entering a junction = total current leaving it, but does it just split equally in a parallel circuit? or is it the same for each 'arm' of the circuit?

why does a voltmeter have to be high resistance? wouldnt that just take all the voltage and stop the circuit working?

why does internal resistance increase loads at the end of a cell's life?

ohh and what is a potential divider!?

hahaa im really sorry for all the questions dont feel you haver to answer them if you cba!!
Reply 93
10) some crap about tennis balls and cameras...

a) a tennis ball has a diameter of 67mm. When the ball is 10m from the camera, a sharp image is formed on a CCD 55mm behind the lens.

i) calculate the magnification of the image [1]

ii) show that the power of the lens in the fixed focus camera is about 18 D [2]

iii) show that the diameter of the image of the ball on the CCD is about 0.4mm. Make your method clear [2]
i know total current entering a junction = total current leaving it, but does it just split equally in a parallel circuit? or is it the same for each 'arm' of the circuit?

in parallel G = G1 + G2 ... and G = 1/R and R=V/I , so G=I/V
why does a voltmeter have to be high resistance? wouldnt that just take all the voltage and stop the circuit working?
voltmeter don't have high resistance? they only meansure the p.d. across a component

The amount of chemical energy left is decreasing so the current is decreasing also. and V=IR
so the voltage stays constant

It is when two or more reistors are connected in a circuit
Original post by ser00

I just wrote a fair bit but have come to the conclusion that I can explain it better with a diagram. Bear with me...
Reply 96

in parallel G = G1 + G2 ... and G = 1/R and R=V/I , so G=I/V
voltmeter don't have high resistance? they only meansure the p.d. across a component

The amount of chemical energy left is decreasing so the current is decreasing also. and V=IR
so the voltage stays constant

It is when two or more reistors are connected in a circuit

thank youu xx
10) some crap about tennis balls and cameras...

a) a tennis ball has a diameter of 67mm. When the ball is 10m from the camera, a sharp image is formed on a CCD 55mm behind the lens.

i) calculate the magnification of the image [1]
m= v/u, so 55x10^-3/67x10^-3 = 0.82

ii) show that the power of the lens in the fixed focus camera is about 18 D [2]
1/v=1/u+1/f so 1/f=1/v-1/u, 1/f= 1/55x10^-3 -(1/-10) = 18.3D

iii) show that the diameter of the image of the ball on the CCD is about 0.4mm. Make your method clear [2]

i don't know the exact method for this but i did (55x10^-3/10)x66x10^-3 = 3.69x10^-4 = 0.37mm
Original post by ser00
thank youu xx

Btw i mean a series circuit, potential dividers don't work in parallel circuits because current is split
Okay here we go:

Original post by ser00
that would be amazing!! :biggrin:

ummm...where to start :tongue:

I'll explain this first bit using the diagram attached.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending