The Student Room Group

Higher English 2012 Discussion

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Revolver72
Structure is weak without substance. As long as you know your texts, and have evidence to back your point, combined with your ability to structure an essay appropriately then that is a perfectly viable method of preparation

thats a relief thanks, Yeah I have quotations to expand on each point should I need them
Reply 101
Is anyone doing the text " Catcher in the Rye"? Im worried no questions will come up for it :/ Their has been a question every year (2007-2011) bar 2008 so it appears that a question should come up but it's the uncertainty which is killing me.
There are also some exemplar critical essay with marks on the SQA website (different to the understanding standards ones that someone's mentioned on a different site) which are quiter useful. Especially so if they're on any of your texts!

Essays: http://www.sqa.org.uk/sqa/files_ccc/NQHigherEnglishCriticalEssayWorkshopCandidateEssays.pdf

Marks: http://www.sqa.org.uk/sqa/files_ccc/NQHigherCriticalEssayWorkshopCandidateEssayMarks.pdf

They're under something along the lines of 'Critical Essay Workshop' on the main HIgher English page :smile:
Original post by FloraLaw
Is anyone doing the text " Catcher in the Rye"? Im worried no questions will come up for it :/ Their has been a question every year (2007-2011) bar 2008 so it appears that a question should come up but it's the uncertainty which is killing me.

When you say that you're worried no questions will come up for it, are you relying on that as your subject? What other sections/texts have you covered? (Sorry, I know nothing about "Catcher in the Rye" :frown:
Reply 104
Original post by Sami'
Last questions is easy. Teacher told us about SME SME.

Start - Middle - End

Done.

Hi

Could you possibly expand on what you mean by 'Start-middle-end'

Thank you :smile:
Reply 105
With regards to the critical essays, I have been getting around 15 on average every time I do them but can't seem to get passed the 15 mark. I recently found out your supposed to 'analyse' your quotes and that may help. Firstly, is this right? Secondly, why our teacher never told us this I do not know! And thirdly if anyone could give me tips to get me into the late teens early twenties I'd be grateful. :-)
Reply 106
Has anyone done a hard close reading paper? If so, which year? I haven't done a lot of close reading papers so I would like to get 1 or 2 more difficult papers done and see how I've done. I have just completed and marked the 2011 close reading paper cos I heard that was difficult. Any hard papers I could do? Don't want to waste time doing easy papers. thanks :smile:
Original post by eilster
With regards to the critical essays, I have been getting around 15 on average every time I do them but can't seem to get passed the 15 mark. I recently found out your supposed to 'analyse' your quotes and that may help. Firstly, is this right? Secondly, why our teacher never told us this I do not know! And thirdly if anyone could give me tips to get me into the late teens early twenties I'd be grateful. :-)

Firstly, 15 is not a bad grade. 30/50 is a definite B, and combined with folio, close reading and any fluctuations in the cutoffs, you could find yourself still able to get an A on the right day.

Analysing your quotes is a useful habit to get into.

Each paragraph should really have a topic sentence where you make your assertion. Then briefly expand on that point. Give your evidence (quotations). Then analyse - just the usual. Consider it almost like close reading. What does that quotation suggest, why is it evidence. Give connotations of the words, explain why it might lead you a certain conclusion etc. I usually finish my paragraphs by reiterating my topic sentence in a slightly more expanded form, but that's just me.

Also, including "Central concerns of the [play/novel/film/poem/etc]" is a good phrase, the SQA love you dropping a few of them in there.

Hope that was of some help :smile:
Reply 108
When you say that you're worried no questions will come up for it, are you relying on that as your subject? What other sections/texts have you covered? (Sorry, I know nothing about "Catcher in the Rye" :frown:

Haha it's cool. Well yeah that's the prose texts I want to answer on. I've also done the poem "Death of a Naturlalist" - which i also want to answer - and i'm away to look over "The Almond Tree" (poem) and "A Hanging" (prose non-fiction), however i really don't want to write on these other texts :frown:
Reply 109
Firstly, 15 is not a bad grade. 30/50 is a definite B, and combined with folio, close reading and any fluctuations in the cutoffs, you could find yourself still able to get an A on the right day.

Analysing your quotes is a useful habit to get into.

Each paragraph should really have a topic sentence where you make your assertion. Then briefly expand on that point. Give your evidence (quotations). Then analyse - just the usual. Consider it almost like close reading. What does that quotation suggest, why is it evidence. Give connotations of the words, explain why it might lead you a certain conclusion etc. I usually finish my paragraphs by reiterating my topic sentence in a slightly more expanded form, but that's just me.

Also, including "Central concerns of the [play/novel/film/poem/etc]" is a good phrase, the SQA love you dropping a few of them in there.

Hope that was of some help :smile:

Thank you! This was very helpful and I cannot believe she never even explains this to us! Good luck for tomorrow everyone!:-)
After reading through the sample essays on SQA, I have got really worried about my Intoductions. I always just keep them short, Text + Author + reword the question and never give anymore detail!! All the sample essays but one go into far too much detail i though, except the final one on Hamlet, it does exactly what I do, and still received 19! I hope i dont fail on a basic introduction in my essays! :confused:
Reply 111
Hello

I'd just like to.confirm something. See in critical essay queztions, if it asks you to talk about eg. Cruelty displayed in a scene, when you've written about that, you still talk about cruelty througout the novel/play, am I correct ?

Thanks
Pretty confident. I've done two previous timed essays on it before, both got 19, so I feel reasonably confident. What about you?

You've never received any of your grades back? Have you not got a prelim score or anything? And have you ever asked for them back?
As for worrying until August, that's silly. Once you walk out that exam, that's it. There's physically nothing you can do. So instead of worrying about it, just forget it and remember that Higher English is now over. Focus on the rest of your exams, and then after that just chill and enjoy your summer holidays. Hope the paper works out to be a nice one for you. :smile:

If you got those marks (any combination of them) you'd be in the mark region of 34-38 out of 50, which would put you [as far as last year's cutoffs] at probably an A pass. Certainly, you'd be in with a good shout!

One day to go, guys, nerves kicking in yet?

I am ok about it but because we did that after the prelim we spent like one week on it. SO thats my back up, i think.
Original post by eilster

I'm no sure whether you saw, but a few posts up I put a link to some example critical essays that have marks and a lot of them are in the late teens/early twenties. Perhaps reading through a few of them might give you an idea of how to improve/bring in more analysis. :smile:
does anyone have any good examples of topic sentences? just in general! It takes me aaaaaaaages to think of the simplest one, so I'm making lists now of possible ones I can use tomorrow. Could anyone help me? :smile:
Original post by fruitfan
Hello

I'd just like to.confirm something. See in critical essay queztions, if it asks you to talk about eg. Cruelty displayed in a scene, when you've written about that, you still talk about cruelty througout the novel/play, am I correct ?

Thanks

Yeah, you are unlikely to be able to be so specific on a scene and cruelty and manage a full essay. If it was me, I'd talk about how this cruelty is developed up until the scene, and then have maybe 2 paragraphs specific to cruelty in that scene! :smile: or along those lines.
Original post by rawragee
does anyone have any good examples of topic sentences? just in general! It takes me aaaaaaaages to think of the simplest one, so I'm making lists now of possible ones I can use tomorrow. Could anyone help me? :smile:

I think of them at the the time, they can be really simple, like,

"There is a them of revenge in Hamlet displayed from the beginning of the play."

Then start discussing what..

Id not get too bogged down on topic sentences personally.. :biggrin:
Reply 117
Original post by JumbleJumble
I'm no sure whether you saw, but a few posts up I put a link to some example critical essays that have marks and a lot of them are in the late teens/early twenties. Perhaps reading through a few of them might give you an idea of how to improve/bring in more analysis. :smile:

Original post by rawragee

Hello
What I do and have been told to do is 'lose the choose'
Basically we all get a question that says choose a novel/play blah.blah blah. I just remove the choose abd rewrite the question for example

Choose a novel in which there is a key incident involving death.

My topic sentence >> an incident involving death occurs when Jack mistakes simon for the beast, thus killing him. (then go on with the rest of the essay)

Hope thats helped
:smile:
Hi guys, a couple of questions that are worrying me :

-When i'm marking my close readings, I notice that the marking scheme uses words in it's answer that i would never think of using. I don't even know what a lot of them mean! Will i get heavily marked down for not using these words?
-When i'm practicing writing critical essays, i don't always writing about the WHOLE passage. For example, "Spiritual Damage" is around 5 pages long. I can write an essay on it, but i'm only commenting on the first 2 or 3 paragraphs. Will this heavily affect my mark?

Thanks! Good luck tomorrow! :smile:
Reply 119
Original post by freedom123
Yeah, you are unlikely to be able to be sph I see. Thanks. We've beno specific on a scene and cruelty and manage a full essay. If it was me, I'd talk about how this cruelty is developed up until the scene, and then have maybe 2 paragraphs specific to cruelty in that scene! :smile: or along those lines.

Oh alright. I've been told to write about that specific scene first, and then talk about other parts in the play/novel where there's cruelty.

Thanks anyway
:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending