The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CharlieBoardman
Solution 1 is which you have both pieces of information for. (Volume AND Concentration). Solution 2 is the one hich you only have 1 piece of information for :smile:

ooooh okay :biggrin: thank you! :wink:
Original post by sophiekutie
haha i know!! :smile: i only just worked out how to do it :wink:

eurghh i know... are you doing the decision making one on the olympics as well?

Haha xD
Nope, I'm doing AQA. You?
3 Physical and 3 Human topics -.-
Original post by xoxlovelifexox
oh, no, no, i meant for tomorrow! sorry for the confusion! by the way i know you can but i was wondering do you personally say O2 instead of oxygen and CO2 etc. in biology exams?

Oh right haha that's fine :smile: I'm relatively prepared, how about you? I write it out in full but I think they accept O2 and CO2. I just don't use these because sometimes they cannot distinguish between O2 or O2 or O2 because my handwriting is pretty awful and they don't accept the latter two in exam answers... But if I'm rushing and struggling to finish it then I do the symbols :smile:
it'd be nice to take a breather from biology! after tomorrow i don't even want to think about biology till we do B1 in june! by the way in biology exams do you use chemical symbols like O2 and CO2?

I don't think we need to use symbols no.. Not unless for some strange reason they asked for the chemical formula for photosynthesis or something :s-smilie: Chemical names are for Chemistry normally (whoops I mentioned Chemistry.. Now I'm thinking about how i'm going to have no time to revise that!)
Original post by Dandaman9999
Oh right haha that's fine :smile: I'm relatively prepared, how about you? I write it out in full but I think they accept O2 and CO2. I just don't use these because sometimes they cannot distinguish between O2 or O2 or O2 because my handwriting is pretty awful and they don't accept the latter two in exam answers... But if I'm rushing and struggling to finish it then I do the symbols :smile:

i'm doing okay actually! i can see light at the end of this tunnel :smile: oh i see! i usually do the symbols, not like that obviously i didn't subscript it on here but then i feel like i should do the words properly! so i was just getting a taste of what other people do! :smile: so can you explain to me the concept of gylcogen? so i understand that it's a carbohydrate which can be converted to glucose for respiration when muscles contract and it's stored in the muscles. so basically during exercise is this where the muscles exercising receive their oxygen from? so the heart rate increases and the arteries supplying blood increasing the blood flow, is for that purpose?
Original post by OllieWolly
I don't think we need to use symbols no.. Not unless for some strange reason they asked for the chemical formula for photosynthesis or something :s-smilie: Chemical names are for Chemistry normally (whoops I mentioned Chemistry.. Now I'm thinking about how i'm going to have no time to revise that!)

i meant just normally when writing when you want to say oxygen you can use the symbols, it's allowed, in the mark scheme. i was just wondering how many people actually do, do that! because generally i do, but i feel like i should write it properly...
Original post by x-Sophie-x
Haha xD
Nope, I'm doing AQA. You?
3 Physical and 3 Human topics -.-

ahh no i must be doing edexcel...
i have 6 topics for my 1st exam
and have to basically study the whole omympics for my second....
it's sooooo boring!!
stupid olympics xD
Reply 1387
Am I the only one that doesn't have a biology exam this week?? Mine isn't for about 3 weeks! Lol

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 1388
Who's got Physics P4, 5, 6 tomorrow on OCR 21st century???
Reply 1389
Original post by CharlieBoardman
Was that a really random comment, or am I just really slow on the ball tonight? :L

my avatar is a snail and I write children's stories about a snail called dexter
i'm doing okay actually! i can see light at the end of this tunnel :smile: oh i see! i usually do the symbols, not like that obviously i didn't subscript it on here but then i feel like i should do the words properly! so i was just getting a taste of what other people do! :smile: so can you explain to me the concept of gylcogen? so i understand that it's a carbohydrate which can be converted to glucose for respiration when muscles contract and it's stored in the muscles. so basically during exercise is this where the muscles exercising receive their oxygen from? so the heart rate increases and the arteries supplying blood increasing the blood flow, is for that purpose?

That's good, the revision is all paying off! Oh right, im pretty sure they accept it but I don't take the risk because I'm paranoid like that haha.

Ok here goes:
If the body has too much glucose then the pancreas produces insulin to try and store this excess glucose. This glucose is converted to glycogen and is stored in the muscles. If the sugar levels of the body are below what they should be, then the pancreas produces a hormone called glucagon which basically converts glycogen back into glucose for the muscles to use.
The Oxygen which you are asking about for the muscles comes from aerobic respiration. When we exercise, the rate of respiration increases which means more Oxygen, so the heart rate speeds up to try and transport this Oxygen (in haemoglobin to form oxyhemoglobin of course) around the body to the muscles doing work faster. The arteries also dilate to allow more blood through and therefore more Oxygen through as well.

I think I've answered your question :smile: if not just tell me what bit you don't get and I'll clarify for you :smile:
Original post by Dandaman9999

mark sheme always allows symbols but ONLY if they are COMPLETELY correct :frown:
e.g you can't write just O you have to write O2
Original post by g.k.galloway
my avatar is a snail and I write children's stories about a snail called dexter

haha it's still random, but cool :smile: :cool:
ahh no i must be doing edexcel...
i have 6 topics for my 1st exam
and have to basically study the whole omympics for my second....
it's sooooo boring!!
stupid olympics xD

Aha oh okay :L
That sounds dull!
6! :O
We have one case study on the Olympics but that's it :]
mark sheme always allows symbols but ONLY if they are COMPLETELY correct :frown:
e.g you can't write just O you have to write O2

Yep, sorry that's what I meant in my post. That's why I try to avoid them sometimes if they cannot distinguish my horrible handwriting haha
Reply 1395
Right e'o peeps we're entering the week where everyone seems to have loads of exams, I just want to wish everyone the best of luck, i'm sure you'll all do well :smile:
Reply 1396
haha it's still random, but cool :smile: :cool:

lol thanks!
He's quite famous among people who know me, All birthday cards for friends have him on (he's made on the cp. now, originally hand drawn) and I made him into a lamp with a removable shell in product design (you can change the colour and shape of the shell) :smile:

he's not my avatar by the way, that's just a random snail
Good luck for everyone doing the Biology exam tomorrow and all the exams for the rest of the week :smile:
URGENT:- I have A VERY IMPORTANT exam tomorrow and i still have so much to revise what time do you recommend i go to sleep, i was thinking that maybe i should go to sleep at 8 and then wake up at 5 in the morning would that be wise
P.S i only plan on doing past papers and going over the topics i didn't get
Original post by x-Sophie-x
Aha oh okay :L
That sounds dull!
6! :O
We have one case study on the Olympics but that's it :]

yeah it it :/ can't wait for the end of it

must say the one with 6 topics is actually much easier!! there's actually less content somehow? :smile: :confused:

Latest