The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Quick update - it's fixed.
Mini reprogrammed everything, took a week to do it and test it, promised me that it was fixed, within 10 miles of me picking it up the light was on and it was running like a dog.
Mini took it back and stripped it back again, eventually replacing the vanos hub (inlet valve adjustment unit), and that seems to have fixed it. The car runs much better now: no stalling, idling perfectly, fires up immediately.

Now, there's a coolant leak and no heating....... :-(
Hi Got a. 57plate. Just failed mot. Immision. No lights come on. However could it be anything to do with rubbish fuel I filled up at a different petrol station with better quality fuel and seems to make a big difference Is it me Les
Reply 22
Same thing is happening to mine, I've had my mini 3 years and it's a 05 reg. Over the last few months I noticed the power dipping when accelerating and was spluttering when going in a low gear. Also had the same problem with my car not starting the first time and this has been happening for a few months! The engine light came on 2 weeks ago. It's had a lot of work done to it in order to pass its mot on Feb and I'm starting to think of selling it! Nice idea of a car.. but an absolute money pit! 😞
Keep us updated mate. I've got the same problem and I am taking my car to the garage tomorrow
Hi everyone, I have also had this problem Mini Cooper convertible 2006 since last November. Light keeps coming on and off and also for example when Iv slowed down slightly there was no pull in 3rd gear and it was spluttering struggling to get going again until I dropped to 2nd. Been on the diagnostic many of times and nothing came up. Also when light was on abit slower pulling away. Anyway last Sunday I had to do a long journey (silly going so far in it I no, but needs must) but the light was off to begin with. 4 hours in total there and back on motorways (which really I don't ever go above 40 mph it's very rare I do and I only drive around 3 miles a day to work and back in the last 5 years) amazingly since doing that journey my light hasn't come back on at all. My car seems to be performing better and no longer spluttering in 3rd gear it's finally got its pull back again !!! :smile: Anyway my point to this is if your only doing short journeys it may be worth giving it a good run, it may just need a good clear out. It's worked for me so who knowsJade xx
Original post by Jadezeus2010
Hi everyone, I have also had this problem Mini Cooper convertible 2006 since last November. Light keeps coming on and off and also for example when Iv slowed down slightly there was no pull in 3rd gear and it was spluttering struggling to get going again until I dropped to 2nd. Been on the diagnostic many of times and nothing came up. Also when light was on abit slower pulling away. Anyway last Sunday I had to do a long journey (silly going so far in it I no, but needs must) but the light was off to begin with. 4 hours in total there and back on motorways (which really I don't ever go above 40 mph it's very rare I do and I only drive around 3 miles a day to work and back in the last 5 years) amazingly since doing that journey my light hasn't come back on at all. My car seems to be performing better and no longer spluttering in 3rd gear it's finally got its pull back again !!! :smile: Anyway my point to this is if your only doing short journeys it may be worth giving it a good run, it may just need a good clear out. It's worked for me so who knowsJade xx

Is it a diesel by any chance? Sounds like it could be partial clogging of the particulate filter.

As a side note, if you've been driving for five years but don't have the confidence to go faster than 40, have you considered some extra lessons? Doing 40 on a motorway is generally more dangerous than 70!
Original post by CurlyBen
Is it a diesel by any chance? Sounds like it could be partial clogging of the particulate filter.

As a side note, if you've been driving for five years but don't have the confidence to go faster than 40, have you considered some extra lessons? Doing 40 on a motorway is generally more dangerous than 70!

No it's petrol.
I didn't actually say I travelled at 40 mph on a motorway ! What tool does that ? Between 70 and 90 actually, hence why I said it had a good blast ! If you re read properly I only do short journeys now because I don't commute far anymore, I don't need too it's not due to lack of confidants! The roads I drive on daily don't exceed 40 mph. Just because i am FEMALE and don't commute fair anymore does not mean I do not have confidence on a road! How rude! I actually use to commute from Birmingham to Cambridge daily for 4 years if you must no !

Oh and I didn't say I have only been driving for 5 years, it says I have owned the car 4 5 years !
No it's petrol.
I didn't actually say I travelled at 40 mph on a motorway ! What tool does that ? Between 70 and 90 actually, hence why I said it had a good blast ! If you re read properly I only do short journeys now because I don't commute far anymore, I don't need too it's not due to lack of confidants! The roads I drive on daily don't exceed 40 mph. Just because i am FEMALE and don't commute fair anymore does not mean I do not have confidence on a road! How rude! I actually use to commute from Birmingham to Cambridge daily for 4 years if you must no !

Bit excessive :erm: the wording of your original post made it sound like you didn't go above 40, even on motorways.

When you say you've had it on diagnostics, do you mean in a garage and had the onboard computer log read? Losing power should log an error code for a cylinder misfire or similar...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
Bit excessive :erm: the wording of your original post made it sound like you didn't go above 40, even on motorways.

When you say you've had it on diagnostics, do you mean in a garage and had the onboard computer log read? Losing power should log an error code for a cylinder misfire or similar...

Posted from TSR Mobile

I actually bracketed ( )

"4 hours in total there and back on motorways (which really I don't ever go above 40 mph it's very rare I do and I only drive around 3 miles a day to work and back in the last 5 years)"

^^^^^
I was clearly stating I did 4 hours of driving on a motorway, and then adding my usual daily drives and speed comparing them. I didn't think people would actually take it that I was driving 40 on a motorway. hence the brackets.
Especially knowing that doing that speed on a motorway is a traffic offence ! To insinuate to someone you don't even know that they are lacking in confidence is a libity when my only intention was to just post my experience just in case people with the same problem also only do short hops usually. It could of possibly helped them. They could of tried it may of worked who now.
And it went to a garage 4 times since November last year, I'm not particually bothered about it now until it occurs again. It's off and running perfect. I'd literally been reading online and saw there was a post 3 weeks ago and thought I would just comment to see if it helped I didn't realise people would be so insulting and rude. I should never of bothered posting in the first place!
No it's petrol.

Well that's quite an over-reaction! You mentioned motorways and then said you rarely go above 40mph. It's hardly ridiculous to connect the two statements together...
Well that's quite an over-reaction! You mentioned motorways and then said you rarely go above 40mph. It's hardly ridiculous to connect the two statements together...

No the only ridiculous thing about it is you thinking people who you don't even no actually drive on a motorway at 40 which is a traffic offence! And if I remember correctly this thread is about a engine warning light. Not for some fool trying to be clever and making someone out to be some sort of dick. Only a sausage would connect the two ... and then offering advice on extra F**King driving lessons to build confidence up is a joke! Over reaction yeah, it's not nice to be judged asif I'm some sort of spoon and don't no how to drive... if you think it's an over reaction maybe next time u will consider what your about to say before you insult someone.
No the only ridiculous thing about it is you thinking people who you don't even no actually drive on a motorway at 40 which is a traffic offence! And if I remember correctly this thread is about a engine warning light. Not for some fool trying to be clever and making someone out to be some sort of dick. Only a sausage would connect the two ... and then offering advice on extra F**King driving lessons to build confidence up is a joke! Over reaction yeah, it's not nice to be judged asif I'm some sort of spoon and don't no how to drive... if you think it's an over reaction maybe next time u will consider what your about to say before you insult someone.

I wasn't the only one to interpret your post as saying you drove at 40 on the motorway (which isn't an offence) which really suggests your communication skills could do with some work... but your anger management skills are probably a more pressing concern 😂
Hi my Daughter has had the same problem with her 57 plate Mini Cooper she had to keep topping up her coolant exspecially when using her heater , they too went through all the proceedes your car, engine light kept coming on the dealer she got the car from would put it on the computing to reset it but still came back on after a year of problems took it to a different garage to MOT the car and failed it because of very high emitions .. The garage said that year of mini coopers are renown for this told it may have to be scraped and she is still paying for it .. :frown:
Original post by 22Oscar22
Hi my Daughter has had the same problem with her 57 plate Mini Cooper she had to keep topping up her coolant exspecially when using her heater , they too went through all the proceedes your car, engine light kept coming on the dealer she got the car from would put it on the computing to reset it but still came back on after a year of problems took it to a different garage to MOT the car and failed it because of very high emitions .. The garage said that year of mini coopers are renown for this told it may have to be scraped and she is still paying for it .. :frown:

Hi there!

This thread is from 2012, please check thread dates before posting in future. :smile:

If you'd like to further discuss the topic, feel free to do so here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=183

Cheers. Thread closed.

Latest

Trending

Trending