The Student Room Group
Liverpool John Moores University
Liverpool

Probably i will sleep on the streets this Septeber

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
If you really needed somewhere to stay you could look for ads for a lodger in someone's house. The social aspect won't be there, but at least you'll have a safe place to sleep. And it'll probably be cheaper than halls too.

A very quick google comes up with this:
http://www.gumtree.com/p/flats-houses/lodger-wanted-for-double-room-in-wavetree/101290061

£81/week for double room. I'd imagine that if you look hard enough you'll find a small house with a single bed for less...maybe £60/week.

http://uk.easyroommate.com/wavertree-flatshare/newly-refurbished-house-in-grosvenor-road-all-bills-included/H090515154252951/2009012708461834252

£58/week.
Liverpool
Original post by Manitude
If you really needed somewhere to stay you could look for ads for a lodger in someone's house. The social aspect won't be there, but at least you'll have a safe place to sleep. And it'll probably be cheaper than halls too.

A very quick google comes up with this:
http://www.gumtree.com/p/flats-houses/lodger-wanted-for-double-room-in-wavetree/101290061

£81/week for double room. I'd imagine that if you look hard enough you'll find a small house with a single bed for less...maybe £60/week.

inside city center? i dont think is so easy as you say..now with the accommodation you have many plus[besides you are next to uni and library,you meet new people, you have also your own space ,better environment than a small cheap room outside city center...and generally different kind of feeling }plus you pay an amount now and you are done about paying about electricity internet ect }
Original post by Octohedral
I know it's a sideline, (congratulations on getting accepted btw OP :smile:), but I don't think it would be easy to live like that in the UK any more. Most of the skills are lost, most of the woodland is gone or privately owned, and even our local river is owned by a fishery, who you have to pay for permission to fish.

It sounds like a nice idea, but realistically you would be just as filthy and starving, and there would be nobody to help you.

You can do it on quiet non touristy parts of beach and places like the lakes. In the lakes they dont like you doing it but provided you leave no mess and dont make it obvious they dont bother.

I sometimes do it on the east coast when im collecting rocks. I take a bit of food but theres tons of muscles you can get easy enough. Shrimps too and wheat growing wild all over. If you get some while your walking along and chew it it goes like gum. If your stuck theres also limpets. You camp near water to avoid being filthy and in the case of the coast you can get drinking water from taps on campsites. Helps to know the area tho i guess. As a kid i always planned on running away and doing this all the time but never got round to it.
Reply 23
Original post by almalibre11111
ok boys i just got accepted

Someone has been reading this thread.
Reply 24
inside city center? i dont think is so easy as you say..now with the accommodation you have many plus[besides you are next to uni and library,you meet new people, you have also your own space ,better environment than a small cheap room outside city center...and generally different kind of feeling }plus you pay an amount now and you are done about paying about electricity internet ect }

A lot of them include bills. And Liverpool is a fairly small city - you're not THAT far from the centre.

But the way you were making out in the OP, it was like you just wanted a roof over your head. If you want a room in the city centre then you're going to have to pay more. I'll tell you now - a cheap room which is ten minutes walk from campus is a hell of a lot better than sleeping on the streets.
do you have any friends in where ever you're going? you should try to find some other people in the same situation & you can pool your money together to get a place. :smile:
Original post by kopite493
to buy a tent you need money
to get money you need a job
to get a job you require a bank account
to get a bank account you require a permanent residence
to get a permanent residence you need money

its a vicious cycle

it's not that hard to get a tent man, they cost about 10 quid for a 2 man tent at asda.
Original post by SnoochToTheBooch
it's not that hard to get a tent man, they cost about 10 quid for a 2 man tent at asda.

Dunno about anyone else but if i was working at ldyl and some guy came in and explained that he was homeless and offered to pick up all the litter in the car park and post some leaflets or something for a cheap tent id let him have one and chuck in a couple of tins of corned beef and beans too.
Original post by green.tea
Dunno about anyone else but if i was working at ldyl and some guy came in and explained that he was homeless and offered to pick up all the litter in the car park and post some leaflets or something for a cheap tent id let him have one and chuck in a couple of tins of corned beef and beans too.

right on.
A lot of them include bills. And Liverpool is a fairly small city - you're not THAT far from the centre.

But the way you were making out in the OP, it was like you just wanted a roof over your head. If you want a room in the city centre then you're going to have to pay more. I'll tell you now - a cheap room which is ten minutes walk from campus is a hell of a lot better than sleeping on the streets.

ten minutes walk is impossible as i said before..have u lived in liverpool? i have and trust me i know what im talking about
Original post by FigureSkater
do you have any friends in where ever you're going? you should try to find some other people in the same situation & you can pool your money together to get a place. :smile:

friends have nothing to do with this.. i could have lived together with a lot of people but i prefer to go somewhere in order to meet new people than have my "ghetto" live for life with me..{plus living with others isnt the easiest thing ever} i know that in accommodations you live with other but you have your personal space in contrast with what you say where you are living 100% with others
Reply 31
ten minutes walk is impossible as i said before..have u lived in liverpool? i have and trust me i know what im talking about

I have lived close enough to Liverpool all of my life to know that ten minutes walk is nowhere near impossible for an able bodied person. Unless you're living in the bad part of Toxteth or Croxteth or something like that then it's not exactly unsafe.
I have lived close enough to Liverpool all of my life to know that ten minutes walk is nowhere near impossible for an able bodied person. Unless you're living in the bad part of Toxteth or Croxteth or something like that then it's not exactly unsafe.

man 10minutes is from the central tescos until uni how it can be possible to be less than ten minutes when you live outside city center? obviously your clock goes a bit slow..10minutes running also is different from 10min walking..
Reply 33
man 10minutes is from the central tescos until uni how it can be possible to be less than ten minutes when you live outside city center? obviously your clock goes a bit slow..10minutes running also is different from 10min walking..

...I don't walk slowly?

Ten minutes is something of an exaggeration, but we shouldn't be talking about an hour if you look around hard enough for places near CC. If you're really worried about the time it takes then get a bike for going to lectures.

I used to walk from Lime Street to the Physics department (more than 3/4 mile) every day when I worked there.
For someone who seems to be 'destined' to sleep on the streets, you're awfully picky.
Original post by LouiseOrd
For someone who seems to be 'destined' to sleep on the streets, you're awfully picky.

dude i sorted it out..now im looking for the best
(edited 11 years ago)
...I don't walk slowly?

Ten minutes is something of an exaggeration, but we shouldn't be talking about an hour if you look around hard enough for places near CC. If you're really worried about the time it takes then get a bike for going to lectures.

I used to walk from Lime Street to the Physics department (more than 3/4 mile) every day when I worked there.

congrats ..but im really not the kind of person that will wake up an hour before in order to be on time in the morning..i prefer things close instead of walking 30minutes and 50minutes..my point was that there aren't 10minutes away apartments with less than 350... and isnt only for the uni ..is about the benefits of living in city center and not paying 80quid per month for bus ticket... {libraries, supermarket ,meeting with peers etc}
Reply 37
congrats ..but im really not the kind of person that will wake up an hour before in order to be on time in the morning..i prefer things close instead of walking 30minutes and 50minutes..my point was that there aren't 10minutes away apartments with less than 350... and isnt only for the uni ..is about the benefits of living in city center and not paying 80quid per month for bus ticket... {libraries, supermarket ,meeting with peers etc}

As I said before, you were apparently contemplating living on the streets to save money. Any house is better than no house. You're going to have to compromise somewhere. If it were me I'd just get up a bit earlier and save hundreds of pounds a year.
i searched the accommodations{that i can afford }and are around my uni and they told me they are fully booked for September...{i went in their waiting lists but still im extremely nervous cause i cant afford to rent on my own a flat since you cant find anything under 430 per month without the bills}i really dont get it last year i booked my accomodation at the end of august and now is in the middle of may and are fully booked? wtf...

Is anyone else like that?

I was originally in a similar position to you; my parents weren't going to help me financially and my loan didn't cover the rent for any of the accomodation choices, let alone food and other expenses. But in the end, my mom told me she'd pay half my rent so I'm no longer stuck but still chose the cheapest accomodation that had en suite bathrooms, which was Prospect Point (£100 a week).

One thing to remember is that there are going to be people who don't get the required grades in August, so there's bound to be a few more openings round about that time. Surely they've also got rooms aside for insurance offer holders, so there should be some free when some of them get into their firm choice instead.

The cheapest accomodation on UNITE's website is Larch House, which is £94 a week. Is that still over budget? There are also usually students around this area of the forums looking for flatmates in private residences, which would be cheaper than halls.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 39
i searched the accommodations{that i can afford }and are around my uni and they told me they are fully booked for September...{i went in their waiting lists but still im extremely nervous cause i cant afford to rent on my own a flat since you cant find anything under 430 per month without the bills}i really dont get it last year i booked my accomodation at the end of august and now is in the middle of may and are fully booked? wtf...

Is anyone else like that?

Well, I'll be starting in September and I can't afford uni accomodation either. However, I found a house to rent £40 a week plus bills but the landlady wants a group of 4/5 people in order to let it so I am in a desperate search for housemates. If you're interested, please message me! I really need housemates :d

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending