The Student Room Group
University of York
York

hello uni of york

Hello Uni of York,
I am a prospective applicant from London looking to study Linguistics in 2024. However, I am predicted ABC even though the entry requirements are AAB I believe?! What do you recommend I do to boost these grades?

Thank you!
Original post by emm4nuella
Hello Uni of York,
I am a prospective applicant from London looking to study Linguistics in 2024. However, I am predicted ABC even though the entry requirements are AAB I believe?! What do you recommend I do to boost these grades?

Thank you!

Hi!

It's great to hear that you are interested in studying Linguistics at York. I think that the best thing to do would be to contact the department as they will be more knowledgeable about the course and entry requirements. If you email [email protected] I'm sure they will be happy to give you some tips and advice!
University of York
York
Reply 2
Hello Uni of York,

Thank you!

Your school or college will be in the best position to tell you how to boost your grades, so talk to your teachers about it. You may still get an offer from York with ABC predicted, however the offer will probably be their standard one which is AAB.

It's fine to have at least one aspirational choice on your UCAS form. But just make sure that most of your choices match your predicted grades at around ABC.
Original post by University of York
Hi!

It's great to hear that you are interested in studying Linguistics at York. I think that the best thing to do would be to contact the department as they will be more knowledgeable about the course and entry requirements. If you email [email protected] I'm sure they will be happy to give you some tips and advice!

Thank you so much!!
Original post by harrysbar
Your school or college will be in the best position to tell you how to boost your grades, so talk to your teachers about it. You may still get an offer from York with ABC predicted, however the offer will probably be their standard one which is AAB.

It's fine to have at least one aspirational choice on your UCAS form. But just make sure that most of your choices match your predicted grades at around ABC.

Thank you - great advice!!
Original post by University of York
Hi!

Also, (sorry to disturb you!) I am thinking of coming to the Open Day in September! As well as visiting the university, I am thinking of exploring the city at some point! What sites do you recommend?
Also, (sorry to disturb you!) I am thinking of coming to the Open Day in September! As well as visiting the university, I am thinking of exploring the city at some point! What sites do you recommend?

Hi,

Ooh good question! So you can get a bus from the campus to the city centre and then from there you can go exploring.

If you are interested in history, I'd recommend seeing:
- Clifford's Tower. You'll probably pass this on the bus. It's a really cool building and you can either pay to go inside or just wander round.
- Jorvik. The Viking museum, it's actually really cool inside. You will need to book in advance.
- The Minster. You can't really miss it, it's huge!

For nature:
- Walks by the river are so nice. There's little ice cream boats on the river bank
- Museum gardens are a lovely place to have a picnic
- Rowntree park is also lovely. You can walk alongside the river bank to get to it

Shopping:
- Coney street and Parliament street are the main shopping areas with all the usual high street stores
-The Shambles is the historic shopping street with independent shops
-Goodramgate has lots of charity shops. There are also vintage clothing shops dotted around York

Food:
-Basically anywhere! There are so many cafes, you'll be able to find something! The Shambles market also has a courtyard with street food vendors if you're looking for something on the go.

I hope this helps a bit! Honestly, there are so many places/things to explore!
you could try the widening access programs to learn more about the university + potentially get a reduced offer! im starting at york in september and did one of these programs and got a reduced offer of ABB instead of AAA - my results were AAA :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
you could try the widening access programs to learn more about the university + potentially get a reduced offer! im starting at york in september and did one of these programs and got a reduced offer of ABB instead of AAA - my results were AAA :smile:

oo great! i will definitely check that out <3

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending