The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5980
Allen is a magician, I think I saw him give the ball away twice yesterday, everything he passed found a player it was amazing.
Original post by CameronHayward
Last season it was glaringly obvious we missed Lucas massively. Today we looked completely fine without him (there is nothing he would have been able to do about either goal) and that's a testament to Allen and Shelvey.. and we still have Sahin to come in. So the question is, if Lucas is out, does Sahin walk straight into the team next week? Or has Shelvey done enough to earn that place?

Shelvey had a decent enough game and is showing he is moving in the right direction but he's not going to be keeping Sahin out of the team (unless he has a nightmare). It's nice to know that with him and Henderson we have two people on the bench who in theory can slot into Rodger's system though.

I expect to see him starting all the Europa, league cup and FA cup games when available too.
Original post by Deshi
Seems Allen had another good game, maybe CW was right to rave about him so much :pierre:

I told you so
We shot ourselves in the foot against the champions on sunday, we completely had them on the ropes and none of their play was good enough to bypass our midfield or defence. all goals were scored due to errors.

From what i see..
Joe allen >>>>>>> Henderson and adam and spearings joint abilities

He tackles better than all 3 of them
Has more tactical knowledge than all 3 of them combined
He can pass more accurately and dangerously than all three
He, does not make rash tackles and get booked (unlike adam who seems to get booked every game) and unlike henderson (does not pussy out of tackles when the need arises)
He can accurately hit passes down to our players with the right weighting, instantly keeping the momentum of an attack going. something that neither of the three can seem to do

Although henderson can pass, he very rarely has an impact on any game he plays

I dont understand why borini is being played out wide though...
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5984
An interesting stat I just saw:

"Liverpool have attempted the most long balls per game in the Premier League this season, with 64."
Original post by Deshi
An interesting stat I just saw:

"Liverpool have attempted the most long balls per game in the Premier League this season, with 64."

What counts as a long ball though? I've seen us switching the play a lot with some long cross-field passes, and we've certainly been hitting the spaces in behind the full-backs well (against Man City anyway) which is a significant difference from Carragher hoofing it aimlessly to the opposition centre-back.
We were pretty bad with our passing against WBA
Reply 5987
Anyone know if we've been linked with any strikers?

Also found this.

Reply 5988
Really looking forward to playing you guys, it will be nice to play a game where the opposition want to actually come out and play.

It should be a good match, hopefully it won't be another ****ing 0-0 draw.

Is it fair to say Sahin will get his debut in the place of Lucas? Or is it likely Shelvey will start?
Modric of to Real Madrid, finally..
Don't think they will be the same without him personally.
I'm fairly confident of finishing above them, fingers crossed.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Deshi
Anyone know if we've been linked with any strikers?

Also found this.

He will probably play a slightly less direct game at Liverpool. I doubt that he'd be allowed to try as many through balls as that. On the other hand, if he's playing alongside Lucas and Allen, he may have lots of freedom to attack. (This assumes that we'll try to play Gerrard in the front 3 when all 4 are fit - as I hope.)

Original post by J.Star
Really looking forward to playing you guys, it will be nice to play a game where the opposition want to actually come out and play.

Is it fair to say Sahin will get his debut in the place of Lucas? Or is it likely Shelvey will start?

How do we know?! :tongue: I reckon so, though. I don't see why he wouldn't be, given that it will be at Anfield.

It'll be interesting to see which team is the more impressive, particularly in midfield, since both sides have had significant transfers in midfield and attack. Both sides have changed their midfields quite a bit this summer, and both sides have new-look attacks, while pretty much keeping the same defence.

You guys still won't be at full strength though, without Wilshere, so the midfield and possession battle that interests me won't be a fair test for the rest of the season.
(edited 11 years ago)
About time David Guetta went to Madrid
Reply 5992
Original post by J.Star

We had a whole season of ****ty 0-0 draws. I wouldn't want to wish the same on another team tbh, but then you'd really know what 'Another ****ing 0-0 draw' really is after a whole season. :biggrin:

Anybody seen this? Rodgers laying into Sterling like... http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/liverpool-documentary-sneak-peek-watch-brendan-1282285
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5993
Original post by J.Star

Lucas is rumoured to be out for up to 2 months :frown: Thankfully we have good depth in the centre now, though.

I think Sahin might get some minutes against Hearts midweek, and then possibly get the nod to start against you.

Should be a good game, really looking forward to it!
There's quite a few reports that we're trying to make at least a couple of player sales this week to fund the purchase of a forward.
Reply 5995
Lucas out for 6 weeks it seems.

Hope he isn't going to consistently suffer these kind of setbacks.
Think we need to be more careful in easing Lucas back.. Though I presume this thigh strain is completely unrelated to the ACL?
Original post by Zerforax
Think we need to be more careful in easing Lucas back.. Though I presume this thigh strain is completely unrelated to the ACL?

It's unlikely. Can't believe they allowed him to play on again after picking up an injury like they did with his ACL though.

Also, Sahin can't play on Thursday against Hearts, he wasn't registered for the first leg.
Original post by ChrisWilliams
It's unlikely. Can't believe they allowed him to play on again after picking up an injury like they did with his ACL though.

Also, Sahin can't play on Thursday against Hearts, he wasn't registered for the first leg.

I thought we fired those in the medical team that were incompetent?

Really would've thought that it would be safety first with Lucas after such a serious injury. Although Lucas probably felt okayish to play/said okay and Rodgers obviously wanted a good start against City. Obviously everyone is an idiot in hindsight :mad:

I would've thought Shelvey or Henderson (perhaps Adam for a final shop window push?) would come in.

Maybe we'll see a similar line up to last week seeing as we've got a 1-0 lead and we're playing at home.

Arsenal on Sunday which won't be easy..
We have. It's complicated though, it all depends on what the objective muscle testing the physios did showed. Safety first should have been taken though, but again that depends if it's the same leg as the ACL or not too.

Latest