The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

You don't have to agree with me at all, but I can guarantee you where Gerrard will spend the majority of next season positionally.
Reply 1581
Original post by ChrisWilliams
You don't have to agree with me at all, but I can guarantee you where Gerrard will spend the majority of next season positionally.

I think we all really know that tbh, it's where he played for the majority of last season. It'll work well with him and Lucas I think.
Hes left spurs. On bbc news now

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
He hasn't got, and has never had, the game intelligence to be able to play those final balls. It's come off every now and again but he doesn't do it on a consistent basis to further up the pitch. His explosive power and pace IS what made him so good there and what made his movement superior, without it his movement is no better than most up there. This added to his injuries over the last couple of years, and the fact that he's likely to get more injuries if he keeps pushing himself in the final third every game like you want, will mean that he's going to be playing a deeper role. If we want Steven Gerrard to play for Liverpool Football Club for another 4/5 years we have to accept that he needs to retrain himself in a different position like Ryan Giggs has done, and that role is going to be deeper in midfield.

I can 100% guarantee you that if we sign Sigurdson then it'll be him playing in the advanced role rather than Gerrard. Get used to it.

Is this good?
Original post by Pn94
I think we all really know that tbh, it's where he played for the majority of last season. It'll work well with him and Lucas I think.

I think he's one of the worst players you can possibly play in that deeper position. What Sacchi says is basically Gerrard in a nutshell http://www.liverpool-kop.com/2008/03/arrigo-sacchi-gerrard-is-not-great.html
Reply 1585
Don't agree with that article. Find it pretty farcical for someone to try and argue Gerrard wasn't a great player, especially around 08.
Reply 1586
It's also written by that tit Jamie Kanawar.
Harry leaves Spurs... and they get Moyes in. Good for us.
Chelsea hire Di Matteo permanently. Good or us.
Arsenal hopefully sell Van Persie. Good for us.

Suddenly top four doesn't look impossible anymore. Assuming at least two of these things happen.
Original post by checkolad
Is this good?

Personally don't think so but it's been a while since we have seen Gerrard consistenly played in the role we want to see him in. It seems he himself and managers alike think he needs to be riegning in his game and playing a more disciplined role, as sad as it is.

But if we're brutally honest, Gerrard is not fit consistently and his game isn't what it was. Maybe if he got a run of games playing further up the field uninterrupted by injury, we'd see the Gerrard we know and love more often as he does still have it in him. It just seems his body isn't up to it anymore.

It is probably better for our long term future to be bedding a player like Gylfi into such an important role getting at least 12 goals a season for us there, playing week in week out, rather than holding onto Gerrard as our be all end all. He should be treated as a bonus attacking threat or get used to a role next to Lucas.

We need goals from midfield. Gylfi should be able to give us that.
Original post by Pn94
I think he's definitely capable when he tries and restrains himself from drifting too far out of position, which he seems to do a lot when our attackers aren't doing their job vs the smaller teams especially. I remember in the Carling Cup semi vs City he played in a deep role and had a very similar game to the one he did vs France. There's potential for a Gerrard, Lucas, Sigurdsson midfield to work well.

Exactly this.

Think that midfield is very balanced.
Original post by Deshi
Don't agree with that article. Find it pretty farcical for someone to try and argue Gerrard wasn't a great player, especially around 08.

I'm talking about the quote. I think it's apply's to Gerrard. I remember Sacchi was being interviewed once and the interviewer, after hearing Sacchi talk about the same subject asked "what kind of player are we talking about Gerrard?" and the smile on Sacchi's face was priceless!
(edited 11 years ago)
He hasn't got, and has never had, the game intelligence to be able to play those final balls. .

Don't you remember him and Torres?
Reply 1592
I'm talking about the quote. I think it's apply's to Gerrard. I remember Sacchi was being interviewed once and the interviewer, after hearing Sacchi talk about the same subject asked "what kind of player are we talking about Gerrard?" and the smile on Sacchi's face was priceless!

Lampard was looking ****ed towards the end of Ancelotti's era, and during AVB's stint. Under RDM he's rediscovered himself in a deeper role. I've got faith that Gerrard should be able to do at least the same at least.

And tbh that's a load of crap from Sacchi.
Reply 1593
People have to understand Sacchi's footballing philosophy before criticising his quote about Gerrard. Sacchi is a truly reactive manager all about team shape and rapid short passing. His game plan revolved around discipline and intelligence. In Sacchis eyes Gerrard would be far too cavalier to fit into how he thinks football should be played. And tbh that's exactly what he says in the quote linked to :dontknow:

Whereas someone like Cruyff likely would have loved Gerrard as whilst being great behind the striker Gerrard was more than competent in every single position on the pitch.

It's just a question of how you view the game and your philosophy whether you believe someone like Gerrard can be a world class player.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Very interested to see who takes over at Spurs.

Maybe this could be a very important summer for us.
Reply 1595
If Spurs get a manager that is actually good tactically, I'll be more worried than when they had Harry. That's if players stay there.
Is this good?

In my opinion yes. If we want to see Gerrard playing for us for 4/5 years this is what we have to accept and he has to do. He's good enough to play a disciplined role in the middle of the park, his tackling is good enough and his long range shooting can be lethal. He hasn't got it in him to play further forward and make those lung busting runs anymore, fitness has determined that not ability.
Original post by lifeshard
Don't you remember him and Torres?

I do yes, and it takes two to tango. Who did he do it with before and who has he done it with since? It wasn't Gerrard's 'intelligence' in that situation, it was more Torres' moving into a position where Gerrard could give him the ball. They were magnificent as a tandem, but that's because they were both fantastic at what they were doing.

I remember their goals very well, but I'd be interested to see how many assists Gerrard had during Torres' time with us.
So the decision on Aquilani is to be made this week, according to Zavaglia, his agent.
Original post by Straight up G
So the decision on Aquilani is to be made this week, according to Zavaglia, his agent.

There are some rumors floating around that he has been released.

Latest