The Student Room Group

Mature Student Accommodation Help

Hi,
I've recently had a change in circumstances with regards to my home. I've been living with parents while doing an access course, and have moved out due to a bit of a break down in our relationship which is totally unfixable.
I've already sent off my application for accommodation in London (I'm studying at UCL) but my circumstances have obviously changed, I need a home. Once I move to London, I will be staying there for the entire duration of my degree. There is no where for me to move back to during holidays for more than a few days at a time.
Does anyone know how Universities deal with mature students who are uprooting and moving completely? I'm really struggling with finding out any information, if someone can point me in the right direction, I'd be really grateful!
Thanks in advance!
Laura
Reply 1
are you allowed to stay in the accommodation from September to July? if so then get a job with accommodation for the summer through someone such as Dee Cooper (pubs mainly some hotels) and sorted you are.
Original post by lauraaimee
Hi,
I've recently had a change in circumstances with regards to my home. I've been living with parents while doing an access course, and have moved out due to a bit of a break down in our relationship which is totally unfixable.
I've already sent off my application for accommodation in London (I'm studying at UCL) but my circumstances have obviously changed, I need a home. Once I move to London, I will be staying there for the entire duration of my degree. There is no where for me to move back to during holidays for more than a few days at a time.
Does anyone know how Universities deal with mature students who are uprooting and moving completely? I'm really struggling with finding out any information, if someone can point me in the right direction, I'd be really grateful!
Thanks in advance!
Laura

I don't think universities do specifically deal with mature students that are uprooting, they assume the student has it sorted. We are doing exactly that, living by the Uni's 12 months of the year, up rooting from the East Midlands to the North East. You could ring the Uni as ask them, but some Uni's use the acommodation over summer for things like OU summer schools and similar which brings in additional revenue, although these are lucrative for the SU, so some students tend to be around to man the bar etc. For example I have stayed in Halls at Keele and Durham on OU summer schools, each one a week, but they go on all summer week after week. I suspect if the Uni can allow you to stay in Halls over the summer then the bill goes up by a third.

The suggestion regarding a job is a good one, although our son, despite having 2 years experience at wetherspoons and making constant applications did not manage to find a job until his third year. Such work is probably easier to find in London than Leicester though. He found it easier to get a job as graduate, which was basically immediate, than he did to find parttime work as a student.

Best give UCL a ring I guess. Also advise SFE as your loan/grant may go up, one of the questions you answer is "will you be living elsewhere outside of term time." Are you dependent upon parental contribution ? If so that would be more of an immediate worry, as you have 12 months to sort next summer out. If you are currently subject to parent income assessment then I suspect that SFE will take a lot of convincing regarding the timing of "split" so close to you starting, hence you will need to get all your ducks lined up.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending