The Student Room Group

Advanced Higher Biology 2012

Couldn't see any other advanced higher biology threads, apologies if there are.

How's everyone feeling about the exam? What are you hoping will or won't come up?

Personally, anything to do with genome mapping just goes right over my head. Really hoping it doesn't come up, but knowing my luck it will. :rolleyes:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Could anyone help me out with these multiple choice questions:

A diploid cell contains 6 × 109 base pairs of
genetic code. Only 4% of this codes for
protein.
How many anticodons does this represent?
A 2.4 × 107
B 8 × 107
C 2.4 × 108
D 8 × 108

The proportion of sugars produced in the
breakdown of starch can be measured by the
dextrose equivalent (DE). The DE can be
calculated as follows:

DE = 100 x (number of glycosidic bonds broken/number of glycosidic bonds originally present)

What is the approximate DE when an amylose
molecule is completely digested to maltose?
A 0.5
B 1.0
C 50
D 100

I always get stuck with calculations in Biology - does anyone know how to work these out?
I am not looking forward to this exam, I've never been able to get the Cells topic to stick in my head even though I've been revising like crazy!
Original post by SeaBadgerOfDoom
I am not looking forward to this exam, I've never been able to get the Cells topic to stick in my head even though I've been revising like crazy!

Exactly the same for me -_- I much prefer environmental biology to the cell and molecular biology =/

My school also does the physiology, health and exercise unit as the optional one. I understand it but I have no interest in it, I'd much rather be doing animal behaviour.
Original post by JFaithx
Could anyone help me out with these multiple choice questions?

I tried looking at them just now but I am waaay too tired, they are making no sense to me :| I'll have another look tomorrow :smile:

Definatley relying on my project to pull up my grade!
Reply 5
For the first one you need to find 4% of 6x10^9 (0.04x6x10^9) and then divide that answer by 3 as three bases make up an anticodon.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 6
For the second one I don't think you are actually to do the calculation. The DE requires you to multiply by 100 which indicates the answer to be either C or D.

If the amylose is broken down to maltose (a dissacharide) then this means that there will be one glycosidic bond left over.

This means the number of bonds broken cannot be equal to the number originally present which means 100 cannot be the answer and so it leaves C (50)

Original post by escapingthefate
Exactly the same for me -_- I much prefer environmental biology to the cell and molecular biology =/

My school also does the physiology, health and exercise unit as the optional one. I understand it but I have no interest in it, I'd much rather be doing animal behaviour.

Trust me, animal Behaviour is not any more interesting. I slept my way through it, even the teacher was bored.
what does everyone think the essay questions will be? I'm hoping the nitrogen cycle comes up if they're on unit 2..
Reply 9
I'm thinking the essay will be Unit 2, unless they decide to mix it up a bit and not follow the pattern :redface:

The last 2 years of Unit 2 essay questions were:

2008: Ecosystems / Survival strategies (dormancy, mimicry etc)

2010: Food production / energy + fossil fuels

So we probably won't get these again... Nitrogen cycle could be a possibility then :smile:
Reply 10
mon the regulators
Good luck tomorrow everyone! :biggrin:

Watching my brother revise for standard grade does make me miss the simplicity of it slightly...
Reply 12
aaaaah last minute cramming! hoping the essay will be on unit 2. good luck everyone:smile:
Reply 13
I would love an essay on the nitrogen cycle, it would make my day!! Or on survival techniques I wouldn't mind that either. Good luck everyone

I just want the entire exam to be on homoeostasis, more specifically how Kangaroo Rats conserve water. That's about the only part I know.
Reply 15
how did everyone find it?
Reply 16
Original post by Student666
how did everyone find it?

The first question was a nightmare! I have no idea what I wrote.

Will anyone be able to put up the answers to the multiple choice soon? I normally find the multiple choice okay but this one was horrible. Blagh.

How did everyone else find it?
Reply 17
Original post by Kurokuro

Will anyone be able to put up the answers to the multiple choice soon? I normally find the multiple choice okay but this one was horrible. Blagh.

I thought the exam was ok overall.
It was pretty standard in terms of the types and difficulty of the questions asked when compared with previous year's exams.

I had about 45 minutes to check over things and I think I did ok.
Reply 18

Yeah question 1 was hard! I did the %calculation wrong even O.o and i've never done that in a past paper :frown:
Reply 19
Original post by SeaBadgerOfDoom
Trust me, animal Behaviour is not any more interesting. I slept my way through it, even the teacher was bored.

Lol same for us, my teacher read from a powerpoint so was like omg but i think i prefer animal behaviour than the health and physiology one, have you seen the words and stuff on the heart you need to know? Was like im so glad we did animal behaviour! How did you find the animal behavior section? :smile:

Original post by rainbowness-xo
what does everyone think the essay questions will be? I'm hoping the nitrogen cycle comes up if they're on unit 2..

That's what i wanted too but the actual essay questions were a nightmare! What did you think?

So glad im not alone! I was stuck on question one for ages and make crap up just so i could move on lol! Kept getting confused with the names etc :frown: Yeah the multiple choice was hard this year, went through past papers and could do more multiple choice in them than this years :/ What grade do you think you got?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending