The Student Room Group

What do you think of male nurses?

Inspired by the male primary school teacher thread. I'm a guy and I'm going to be a nurse; some people react horribly, saying things like 'That's a woman's job, 'I'd refuse treatment from a male nurse, it's not right'. What do you think of male nurses?

Scroll to see replies

I have a friend who has been a male nurse since qualifying at uni, and has had a successful career. No one reacts badly that I am aware of.
I respect them for their dedication to helping people, not because of their gender.
I wouldn't care.
I mean, it might be a bit 'awkward' for women if they're lying there naked or are getting help getting dressed or something, but on the whole, I see no issue.
Reply 4
As long as his name is not Gaylord Focker, its fine.
Reply 5
I completely approve. Why shouldn't there be male nurses?
Totally fine, obviously.
If you are a woman needing an 'intimate' treatment or examination then you can usually request a female nurse anyway.
Original post by Flyteryder
Inspired by the male primary school teacher thread. I'm a guy and I'm going to be a nurse; some people react horribly, saying things like 'That's a woman's job, 'I'd refuse treatment from a male nurse, it's not right'. What do you think of male nurses?

Do you live with people in the 1950s? :lolwut:

Anyway I have nothing but the utmost respect for all nurses because it's something I couldn't do. :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
Nothing wrong with it. But I know guys who have gotten a little miffed because they were attended to by not even a not-so-good-looking-as-in-the-movies nurse but a freaking guy. So yeah my point is a lot of guys out there still go in to hospital thinking theyre about to be treated by a nice busty blonde nurse and get surprised when a guy turns up
I volunteer on a stroke ward in a hospital with a mix of patients of all ages - both male and female. There are many, many female nurses, but only one male nurse. From my experience, many of the male patients actually seem to prefer being cared for by the male nurse, especially when it comes to being assisted to the toilet etc.

Personally I think gender is irrelevant, providing the person is competent and caring and that people should be given the choice of whether they are cared for by a male or female nurse. In many ways, I feel men should be encouraged to train as nurses as I feel our hospitals may actually benefit from having more!
Reply 10
A nurse is a nurse. I don't care if it's a male/female.
Nothing wrong with a guy wanting to be a nurse, it's traditionally a female role but women can be doctors now so why can't men be nurses? If they want a career helping people then that's cool :smile:
The uniform doesn't look as good on them, but beyond that I don't really think anything about it - a nurse is a nurse.
Reply 13
Sexy :')
As long as you do the job well, I can't see why there should be any problem.

I know there would be some people who prefer a male nurse to attend to them.
Reply 15
I wouldn't think any less of them, a male nurse does the same job as well as a female. I certainly wouldn't feel weird about being treated by a male nurse.
Reply 16
I often get on better with male nurses - quite a few female ones have a bit of a grudge against female doctors.

People will ask you if you're gay though. Not a problem if you are or aren't, but it's a stereotype. :rolleyes:
Reply 17
I have a soft spot for male nurses tbh

Love their uniforms. Wish my podiatry uniform was as nice as theirs

Reply 18
Well I think they're pretty.. sexy in a way lol
Reply 19
Don't worry about what other people think, you go for it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest