The Student Room Group

Should I transfer to an easier University to get a first/ 2.1 or stay and get a third

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
I think you should transfer to a slightly easier university to get a 2:2, there, an approach that's right down the middle.
Reply 121
Original post by alexkol
True story.
You cannot start from the same point sbd that gor an A* in maths with sbd that gor a B or C.
Furthermore, your point on the resources and the lecturers is correct, definitely the lecturers in Cambridge are far better and u have better resources and much harder competition.
Furthermore, he has to compare the final year exams, which probably won't have so many differences.

I would be interested to see comparative surveys of lecturers across universities. If Cambridge has the best lecturers then god help the rest of you... I've only had 2 really good lecturers in my time at Cambridge, with the rest split equally between OK and bloody terrible. And I've had maybe 60 lecturers in total.
Reply 122
Original post by ukebert
I would be interested to see comparative surveys of lecturers across universities. If Cambridge has the best lecturers then god help the rest of you... I've only had 2 really good lecturers in my time at Cambridge, with the rest split equally between OK and bloody terrible. And I've had maybe 60 lecturers in total.

Well, that is a point, because in big Universities, lecturers mostly care about their research achievements (because this is what keeps them in those Universities, along with reports and publications) and spend less time preparing lecture notes, or helping students with questions. I personally know from friends in Manchester, about lecturers that don't give a **** about their modules.
Furthermore, in those Unis, you are expected to study more and make some research by urshelf, as the level of students is much higher:wink:.
Reply 123
Original post by ukebert

I've totally seen this lack of correlation at school too. Just because someone is super smart/ enthusiastic about a subject, doesn't mean they'll be good at teaching it.
Reply 124
Original post by Jamie
The pass marks etc are the same..?

It is a bit hard to find the pass mark for a specific module, but these are the stats for the whole degree: Aberystwyth vs Cambridge http://unistats.direct.gov.uk/studentAchievement.do :wink:
Reply 125
Welp, just got back an assignment- 45%. Disappointing. I thought I'd done well enough for 70%.

>mind drifts back to quitting..
Reply 126
Oh, interesting note too:

If I had not retaken, I'd have got an A in Maths and scraped a B (73 UMS average) in Further Maths instead of A*A*.
No retakes [that count to grades/marks] at Uni... ;_;
Original post by everything
Oh, interesting note too:

If I had not retaken, I'd have got an A in Maths and scraped a B (73 UMS average) in Further Maths instead of A*A*.
No retakes [that count to grades/marks] at Uni... ;_;

Retakes are part of the reason why we're getting A level grade inflation, no?
Reply 128
Original post by TheTallOne
Retakes are part of the reason why we're getting A level grade inflation, no?

Clearly isn't hurting :P
Clearly isn't hurting :P

So you secured a place at a top 5 university on the basis of your retakes. Now you are struggling, you are considering dropping out and/or transferring to a university that you think will be easier. You have got 45% in an marked piece of work that you thought should have done significantly better at.

Had you let your A level grades stand without doing retakes, would you have secured a place at your current university? Given the competition for places last year, probably not. It is good to hear you are now looking at your assignment marks, but have you followed up on where you went wrong? Universities generally only allow a retake if you fail, once you achieve a passing grade that is it. There are no retakes to go from a 2:2 to 2:1 or better.

If you are lucky enough that you only have to pass the first year and it doesn't count towards your degree classification, be happy for that, it is your recovery card. If you make it to the next year, you need to get serious and realise that you only get one opportunity (in the context of your current degree) to do well and you have to make the most of it. Seek out feedback and make use of it. Alternatively delude yourself that a transfer will solve all your problems.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 130
man up
Reply 131
Original post by edjunkie
So you secured a place at a top 5 university on the basis of your retakes. Now you are struggling, you are considering dropping out and/or transferring to a university that you think will be easier. You have got 45% in an marked piece of work that you thought should have done significantly better at.

Had you let your A level grades stand without doing retakes, would you have secured a place at your current university? Given the competition for places last year, probably not. It is good to hear you are now looking at your assignment marks, but have you followed up on where you went wrong? Universities generally only allow a retake if you fail, once you achieve a passing grade that is it. There are no retakes to go from a 2:2 to 2:1 or better.

If you are lucky enough that you only have to pass the first year and it doesn't count towards your degree classification, be happy for that, it is your recovery card. If you make it to the next year, you need to get serious and realise that you only get one opportunity (in the context of your current degree) to do well and you have to make the most of it. Seek out feedback and make use of it. Alternatively delude yourself that a transfer will solve all your problems.

Yeah I only recently remembered that it only counts 10% to the overall grade or something. Which makes a big difference, if I can pick and choose the modules well for next year (I'll be asking everyone for advice on that lol).

Also, I have an exam tomorrow morning and went to bed 2 and a half hours ago, but it's just too hot. I've got my windows open fully and my door propped open right now to try and cool my room down, but the air seems really still outside. Not helping much. ;_;

HOW DOES THIS GET A THUMBS DOWN

WHY DO YOU PEOPLE HATE ME ;_;
(edited 11 years ago)
I doubt people hate you, but you are doing yourself no favours with the topic of this thread and denigrating someone else for choosing the right course for them and doing well at it. Stop comparing yourself to your friend on the basis of past performance or the content of their course. Accept that they have made the transistion from A levels and you haven't quite yet. Doesn't mean you won't, but you will have to work at it.

Concentrate on passing your exams. Spend the summer getting to grips with the topics you found hard. Prepare for next year, so you don't end up in the same muddle.

Some people say that the first year at university is "easy", well it may or may not be for some, but only with the benefit of hindsight. You get far less progress feedback at university, typically no mock exams to prepare you. If you stick with current course, forget about you A level results and concentrate on your current studies.

Good Luck with your remaining exams.
(edited 11 years ago)
OP, either stick it out or look into transferring courses/unis.

At the end of the day you HAVE to get a 2.1 to stand any chance on the job Market.

We are in a recession, competition is fierce. And even if say you got a 2.2 from Warwick you will find that students from less prestigious unis will be competing in grad schemes.

When I went to the grad scheme for IBM, I was competing with imperial/manc graduates. I went to aberdeen. Which is an average uni. Means very little.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 134
what would be the best thing to do?

Do what you want to do & what will make you happy. Are you in 1st year? Do not spend £27000 on a degree that you don't want that will ultimately not be useful to you. It's so hard to do well in a subject you are not enjoying. Change sooner rather than later once you decide - you don't want to graduate with a poorer degree than you deserve and then find yourself wanting to start again doing something else. Good luck whatever you decide. Ignore people being insulting on here!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending