The Student Room Group

I do not get Maths. At all

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Chumbaniya

I've taught people who 'just don't get maths'. They do get maths. They just don't get the way that they were being taught maths, and because of the mythology surrounding it they assumed they would never be able to.

This is really so true. Part of doing that is really removing the mythology. For example, when teaching people who never got long division, I start off by asking them how they would split some money into three if I gave them a bunch of coins and notes. They then often say "split all of the tenners into three, making up any shortfall by making one or two piles of ten pounds out of coins. Then split the pound coins into three..." and then I tell them - you have just completely understood the long division algorithm - tenners are thousands, pounds hundreds column etc. etc. Once people don't realise they are doing some mystical thing in a strange language - they can be convinced to get it.
Reply 21
Can your mum help you?
Reply 22
Original post by Chumbaniya
It really isn't. A mythology has been built up surrounding mathematics about it being incredibly difficult, and impossible to learn if you struggle even slightly, and because of this people are incredibly intimidated by it. Part of this is down to society's attitude towards maths, but some is down to generally poor teaching of maths that doesn't promote any sort of understanding.

It isn't any different to any other skill like cooking or riding a bike. If you get the right teaching and you practice diligently, you will learn. The only evidence to the contrary is the anecdotal evidence of a vast number of people trying to excuse themselves for letting themselves get intimidated by not being able to do something.

I've taught people who 'just don't get maths'. They do get maths. They just don't get the way that they were being taught maths, and because of the mythology surrounding it they assumed they would never be able to.

Yes I see where your coming from but in regards to GCSE maths it's something people are made to do, there's no two ways about it and generally if you want to learn how to cook or something the fact that you made a choice will probably make you more determined. To be honest all these comments are going beyond the point, just give the person tips on how to cope with their GCSE.
Reply 23
Original post by Jake22
Do you not understand what he is saying?

Yes most maths PhD students are completely comfortable with GCSE, A level and undergrad maths but most get to a point where they are at the same level of discomfort in terms of trying to understand something. The fact that it happens at a higher level is irrelevant; the only point is that they have pushed themselves up to their level of discomfort - even if it took longer than the guy that struggles at GCSE or whatever.

Yes ok, if you push yourself and motivate yourself to do anything you will be able to get there eventually but some people's dislike for maths is really high (I hate it and haven't looked back after being able to give it up) also generally when people don't like something they wont choose to pusue it unless it is forced upon them or they are up for a challege.
Reply 24
I think the best way to sort it out is to figure out exactly what you do and don't understand, because often what can seem a whole lot of mess in your head can be sorted when you say it out loud. Also, i think one of the main reasons people get confused at GCSE maths is because they get confused about why they are doing something and the reasons behind formula etc. I'm not saying that the reasons for doing something aren't important, but if you want to just be able to "do" maths, then just allow yourself to forget about why you are using a formula and accept the answer it gives you, it makes it a lot less complicated :smile:
I disagree with some people here that you either got it or you don't. I consider myself mediocre (by no means a maths whizz) but the reason why I got an A* in gcse and A at A level was because I practiced and practiced and practiced. It's all about perseverance. If you don't understand a question, then try and understand it. Learn the examples you get given and most of the time it should follow through. If not, then ask for help.

OP, ask yourself this. How long can you stare at a difficult maths question before giving up? I can easily spend about 4 hours on one question before figuring it out. So what I'm trying to say is practice and don't give up! :smile:
Reply 26
Its a self propagating cycle. At a young age you do badly at maths because you develop at different rates to your class mates. You are told that you are not good at maths, you are giving easier problems to solve and you don't do as much maths. Then you have has less practice and you continue to not be good at maths.
Honestly anybody could do low level maths, you just need it explained in a way that you understand.
I could not do mathematics. One day it 'clicked' and I was able to learn single-variable calculus in a week.

Quick Reply

Latest