The Student Room Group

What AS grades do you need to get into uni?

Hi. Does it matter what AS grades you get or is it all about predicted grades?
Obviously your predicted grades are made from your AS results, but which are more important?
Both are equally important. In order to get good predicted grades you need good AS grades, and you can get into uni even with an E grade, depending on where you go. Although with £9000 a year I'm pretty sure you'd want to make the best use of your money by going to a good uni that will expect A*, A or B

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 2
predicted grades will get you your offers for university as they give a rough indication for what you will get at A2

So i will go with both as important.
Obviously your A2 predictions are important as they're used by universities to give offers, but if your A2 predictions are a lot higher than your AS's, some universities might not trust you'll be able to improve so much if you don't have a valid reason for lower AS grades. Because of that, I'd say AS levels are more important. Plus, it's really important to do well in your AS's because then you don't have to work as hard to get the grades you want in A2, when the content is a lot harder and marks aren't as easy to achieve. Better to get all the marks you can at AS.
Reply 4
Reply 5
Original post by AGrumpyMole
Hi. Does it matter what AS grades you get or is it all about predicted grades?
Obviously your predicted grades are made from your AS results, but which are more important?

Like you say, the two come hand in hand. Although predicted grades aren't all about AS results, as the teacher takes into account all sorts of other things like classwork, whether they think you'll be better/worse at the A2 course from knowing your mind and work etc etc

So I'd say predicted grades are slightly more important, as they are an accumilation of all sorts of things and predominantly what Universities will look at. E.g, If you get AABB in AS results but your teacher says one of the Bs is high and she is confident you can get it up, thus giving you a prediction of AAA (providing you dropped the second AS B), then the University will take this into account and trust the judgement, thus giving you an offer you want.

But at the end of the day, I'm having to read your question again and again to remind myself of it. This being that your AS and predicted A2 grades will probably be very similar, if not identical, so there really isn't much in it. Both are very important.
Reply 6
AS-AAAAA - a must!

Quick Reply

Latest