The Student Room Group

OCR critical thinking unit 2/f502 29th May 2012 - am

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
hi guys. for section b .. the main conclusion.. i got the last line of the first paragraph "however, extreme sports should not be banned" something like that. hope thats right.. and also for the arguement OR explanation one. . i wrote explanation because it was saying WHY.. not to sure about that one. the 2 essays were fair essays.. last one being particullary relatable giving reasons such as; more people would take part; students would be more healthy; more enjoyable; more students would want to contribute etc. and as for the first essay my counter arguement (or assertion .. cant remember wat is aksed for) was (because i agreed with the main conclusion given) "some may say competition can cause bullying and lose of friendship, but all of this makes an indivdual stronger as an independent person because in the big wide world of work a person must be confident and independent" . ah sorry for my lecture, abit nervous about section A though
Reply 21
Original post by MedicalMayhem
Hey, what did you guys put for the argument element? I was sure that it was evidence and changed it last moment to example as it illustrates it can occur...but there are numbers involved? :s-smilie:

i did the exact same thing.. but in the end I chose to write example because it used examples at the end. (cant remember the exact quote anymore)
Reply 22
Original post by stuck18
hi guys. for section b .. the main conclusion.. i got the last line of the first paragraph "however, extreme sports should not be banned" something like that. hope thats right.. and also for the arguement OR explanation one. . i wrote explanation because it was saying WHY.. not to sure about that one. the 2 essays were fair essays.. last one being particullary relatable giving reasons such as; more people would take part; students would be more healthy; more enjoyable; more students would want to contribute etc. and as for the first essay my counter arguement (or assertion .. cant remember wat is aksed for) was (because i agreed with the main conclusion given) "some may say competition can cause bullying and lose of friendship, but all of this makes an indivdual stronger as an independent person because in the big wide world of work a person must be confident and independent" . ah sorry for my lecture, abit nervous about section A though

I put the exact same conclusion, except the "however". Also, did the exact same counter assertion as you
Reply 23
Original post by SamHLFC
I put the exact same conclusion, except the "however". Also, did the exact same counter assertion as you

yay. what did you guys get for your 2 flaws on the last question on section B .. ? I choe Ad hominem and Straw person .. because the author was attacking the other persons view.. and distorting it to make it the way the author wanted to see it. I'm not too sure on that question.
Original post by stuck18
i did the exact same thing.. but in the end I chose to write example because it used examples at the end. (cant remember the exact quote anymore)

I know, it's so ambiguous and if it's wrong we'd lose 6 marks :'(

For the 12 markers, what reasons did you guys give? I found it a bit tough :redface:
Original post by stuck18
yay. what did you guys get for your 2 flaws on the last question on section B .. ? I choe Ad hominem and Straw person .. because the author was attacking the other persons view.. and distorting it to make it the way the author wanted to see it. I'm not too sure on that question.

Yeah I put the same :smile:
Reply 26

For the 12 markers, what reasons did you guys give? I found it a bit tough :redface:

for the first one about competition my reasons were (i agreed that young people should get competition) : R1: build confidence in the individual R2: prepares them for the big wide world of work. R3: builds them as an independent person. R4: (hypothetical reason) - if there was no competition, then young people would expect everyone to be nice people in the world of work which is untrue.
Counter Arguement / Assertion: some may say compeitions would cause bullying and lose of friendship in young peoples lives, but it doesn't matter as this builds confidence in them and makes them a strongeer and independent individual. something like that
Reply 27

secone one .. i agreed with the statement.
R1: a variety would mean more students would want to participate
R2: more students healthy
R3: more students would feel comfortable with their chosen sport and enjoy it more.

and i cant remember the rest.
what about you?
Original post by stuck18
for the first one about competition my reasons were (i agreed that young people should get competition) : R1: build confidence in the individual R2: prepares them for the big wide world of work. R3: builds them as an independent person. R4: (hypothetical reason) - if there was no competition, then young people would expect everyone to be nice people in the world of work which is untrue.
Counter Arguement / Assertion: some may say compeitions would cause bullying and lose of friendship in young peoples lives, but it doesn't matter as this builds confidence in them and makes them a strongeer and independent individual. something like that

Hm...that sounds so much better than mine :redface:

As my reasons were...It encourages more people to enter if there is a reward/incentive to do so. It pushes people to work harder and to surpass any 'boundaries'. And that if they succeed, they are more likely to become optimistic later life.

Counter argument- However they should be prepared for failure as you will inevitably fail, and this makes you feel demoralised. Response: You shouldn't think pessimistically.

What do you think?
Reply 29
Hm...that sounds so much better than mine :redface:

As my reasons were...It encourages more people to enter if there is a reward/incentive to do so. It pushes people to work harder and to surpass any 'boundaries'. And that if they succeed, they are more likely to become optimistic later life.

Counter argument- However they should be prepared for failure as you will inevitably fail, and this makes you feel demoralised. Response: You shouldn't think pessimistically.

What do you think?

yours is good today. we all have different reasons but yours also is correct as well as your CA :smile: what other questions were there? oh yh what did u choose between Explanation OR arguement? i chose explanation because the quote was saying WHY .. not sure if its right
Reply 30

I think both may be allowed, provided you have given sufficient explanation for your answer...but I felt that the 'for instance' flagged it up as an example.

Competition: CA: although some people may say that competition is a bad thing, since in most cases someone must lose,
Challenge: it is important for children to learn how to lose.
R1: Prepares them for the competitive world of the job market, and
R2: Helps to encourage them to try and reach their maximum potential.
MC: So "Topic of question"

Broad Range of sports: R1: Allows them to learn both to work as a team and to cope under the pressure as an individual.
(Ev) R2: (Different sports work different muscle groups), so having a variety allows children to develop physically.
IC: Having a variety of sports is important for physical and mental development of children.
R3 (Ex): Helps to shift the focus of public attention away from football and towards less popular sports (such as squash and handball)
MC: So "Topic of question"

Or something like that.
Reply 31
does anyone have the papers so they can make the mark scheme for it ? thats what maths does.. anyone :| ?
Original post by stuck18
secone one .. i agreed with the statement.
R1: a variety would mean more students would want to participate
R2: more students healthy
R3: more students would feel comfortable with their chosen sport and enjoy it more.

and i cant remember the rest.
what about you?

I disagreed...I don't think many disagreed (you had to option to agree/disagree for both right?)

ICR: Expensive to buy lots of equipment, IC: Therefore it is implausible.
R1: It means that academic equipment has less investment as more money would be spent on sports.
R2: Parents have the option to take their children to outside sports facilities, the school doesn't need to make children healthy.
R3: Doesn't benefit all people, e.g. children in wheelchairs, and the aim is to just make people healthy, so by changing lunch menus you can make this investment benefit all people.

I'm really worried about what I've put now :s-smilie:
Original post by stuck18
yours is good today. we all have different reasons but yours also is correct as well as your CA :smile: what other questions were there? oh yh what did u choose between Explanation OR arguement? i chose explanation because the quote was saying WHY .. not sure if its right

I chose explanation because there was no attempt to persuade you and it just explains the process.
Reply 34
Original post by stuck18

I got Ad Hominem! :biggrin: but then I put restricting the options :frown:
Reply 35
Yeah I put the same :smile:

I put ad hominem and generalisation. I thought he was generalising that everyone who wanted it banned wants it banned for the same reason

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 36
Original post by Meg :)
I got Ad Hominem! :biggrin: but then I put restricting the options :frown:

i wish the mark scheme came out like a day later like maths does. grr. i think there maybe a few options for this question .. cos everyone was getting different answers
Reply 37
I disagreed...I don't think many disagreed (you had to option to agree/disagree for both right?)

ICR: Expensive to buy lots of equipment, IC: Therefore it is implausible.
R1: It means that academic equipment has less investment as more money would be spent on sports.
R2: Parents have the option to take their children to outside sports facilities, the school doesn't need to make children healthy.
R3: Doesn't benefit all people, e.g. children in wheelchairs, and the aim is to just make people healthy, so by changing lunch menus you can make this investment benefit all people.

I'm really worried about what I've put now :s-smilie:

don't be worried because there was an option for agree or disagree and ur disagree reasons make complete sense and fits in well.. :smile:
Original post by SamHLFC
I put ad hominem and generalisation. I thought he was generalising that everyone who wanted it banned wants it banned for the same reason

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Well I think we can be pretty sure about the ad hominem as it talks about them being x and y (can't remember those characteristics) and I think it's straw man because it distorts the reasoning that the opponents give, as the opponents aren't actually against extreme sports because they are not modern.

Original post by stuck18
don't be worried because there was an option for agree or disagree and ur disagree reasons make complete sense and fits in well.. :smile:

Ah okay. I got really worried that my points didn't make sense :s-smilie:
Reply 39
Original post by stuck18
i wish the mark scheme came out like a day later like maths does. grr. i think there maybe a few options for this question .. cos everyone was getting different answers

That would be good! There always seems to be loads of options for critical thinking! Makes it so much harder than maths!

Quick Reply

Latest