The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dalek1099
At least I have my sisters results to look forward to,in 6 days time:colondollar:

I have one result that day :tongue: what did she study? AS/A2?
Original post by shadab786ahmed
I have one result that day :tongue: what did she study? AS/A2?

A2 Psychology,A2 Biology and A2 Chemistry.
I always have to use the spell checker to spell the 1st subject:biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by DakotaBlue
Hey everyone! :smile:

GCSE's (Subjects): English Lit, English Lang, French, RS, Geography, History, Maths, Core Science, Additional Science
Predicted Grades: 6 A*'s, 2 A's and a B
A-Level Options: Geography, English Literature, Philosophy/RS & (Geology if I move schools and do 4 A-Levels)

Ok, I have a question! So I've applied to 2 sixth forms, the school I'm currently at, where I can only do 3 A-Levels because thats all that fits in with the options I have chosen, and another sixth form I can do all four of my options. Is it looked badly upon if you only do 3 A-Levels? i.e will it prevent me from getting in to some universities? Or does it not make much difference? I don't want to restrict my options for the future but I don't want to move to a new school if doing 3 instead of 4 doesn't make much difference. I'd appreciate some thoughts on this!

Good luck to everyone on the 23rd, I hope everyone gets the results they want! :smile:

From what people have told me, the better ranking universities prefer AAA instead of AAAB. So doing three A-levels wouldn't put you at a disadvantage and you'd have more time to spend studying each subject than you would if you had chosen four.
A2 Physchology,A2 Biology and A2 Chemistry.
I always have to use the spell checker to spell the 1st subject:biggrin:

It's still spelt wrong :tongue:
Psychology... Good luck to her! :tongue:
It's still spelt wrong :tongue:
Psychology... Good luck to her! :tongue:

Is what I wrote the american spelling? because the spell checker is accepting it.
Is what I wrote the american spelling? because the spell checker is accepting it.

No it's just totally different... :tongue:
My Science,English Language and Literature results are going to be very close I think to the A/A* boundary,I better get 3A*s or I will be gutted.
My Science,English Language and Literature results are going to be very close I think to the A/A* boundary,I better get 3A*s or I will be gutted.

For once I agree with you :tongue: Too close for comfort :s-smilie:
Original post by metaltron
For once I agree with you :tongue: Too close for comfort :s-smilie:

Lol! For once :tongue:
Original post by FrescoDiMorte
From what people have told me, the better ranking universities prefer AAA instead of AAAB. So doing three A-levels wouldn't put you at a disadvantage and you'd have more time to spend studying each subject than you would if you had chosen four.

At AS, most applicants have four subjects so it's worth taking four subjects for AS at least :smile:
Original post by usycool1
At AS, most applicants have four subjects so it's worth taking four subjects for AS at least :smile:

Reply to your PM if you haven't... :biggrin:
Wow, what else?! :tongue:

Don't you worry! I have my suitcase packed up and ready to go:smile:
Anytime you need it...you know where I am!:biggrin::biggrin:
Original post by justanotherindigo
Don't you worry! I have my suitcase packed up and ready to go:smile:
Anytime you need it...you know where I am!:biggrin::biggrin:

Lol in a few years :wink:
I'm really nervous for my results, I want to do English combined at A level and at my school you need C's in English Language and Literature. English is my best subject, I was predicted A's for both Language and Literature. I have a B in English Language but its Literature I'm really worried about. In the final Literature exam I somehow had a panic attack, at the time I didn't know what was happening I was just freaking out and physically could not write but I didn't ask to go out the hall because I was too embaressed and I thought they wouldn't let me or tell me I was making it up cause I couldn't really explain what was happening to me, I didn't understand it so I sat in the exam and barley wrote anything for the questions. It was really frustrating because I knew what I should write I just physically couldn't... that doesn't make any sense but I'm really not making this up. So anyway I got home all upset and tried explaining to my mum what happened thats when she said I'd had a panic attack and talk to my teacher. I went and spoke to my english teacher and all he said was 'well hopefully your coursework will pull up your grade, I'm sure you will be fine' So I didn't go to the exams office to tell them cause what could I have said?
'Hi, in the English Literature exam I had a panic attack but I can't really prove it cause that was my first panic attack, anyway could you note it down on my paper please' yeah right no one would have believed that I bet a ton of kids have tried doing that to boost the grade, they wouldn't have believed me.
Anyway my grade will really suffer from that, I mean really I barely wrote a paragraph for each question.Even with my Mockingbird and Animal Farm grades as well as my coursework I doubt I will get a C for English Literature..

So do you think I could convince the Sixth Form leader to allow me on the course.. I know its a long shot but my grades in English have been good, I don't know if it would help but the teachers I have had for English think I'm really good.. My English teacher is also co-head of Sixth Form and he likes me, he was always saying in class just things like using my work as examples and he always kept saying its A/A* work. Plus I'm a good student and a exceptionally hard worker, I did BTEC Health and Social Care in 50% of the lessons and in my spare time as my lessons clashed with French so I only attended half of them but still have a Distinction*, and I have had a lot of time of school due to hospital but have always caught up on work.

I really want to do English, its my passion honestly and A level is so interesting, my old English teacher told me at the Sixth Form evening I HAVE to do English. Both of my teachers really like me and they are both pretty high up in the English department. with all that do you think I could persuade the Sixth Form leader to let me on the course? Wow sorry this is so long everyone, help is much apreciated :smile:
Reply 1994
Without being rude to certain people, this is the GCSE results day thread. Meant for only GCSE students. A-Level students you have your own thread -_-
Original post by Coke1
Without being rude to certain people, this is the GCSE results day thread. Meant for only GCSE students. A-Level students you have your own thread -_-

This thread isn't going anywhere anyway... :tongue: and we talk on their thread...
This thread isn't going anywhere anyway... :tongue: and we talk on their thread...

Original post by Coke1

:cry: Sorry, but your thread is lagging behind and every little helps?
Is anyone going to get results with friends?

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Salsa C510e
Original post by HeatherC19
I'm really nervous for my results, I want to do English combined at A level and at my school you need C's in English Language and Literature. English is my best subject, I was predicted A's for both Language and Literature. I have a B in English Language but its Literature I'm really worried about. In the final Literature exam I somehow had a panic attack, at the time I didn't know what was happening I was just freaking out and physically could not write but I didn't ask to go out the hall because I was too embaressed and I thought they wouldn't let me or tell me I was making it up cause I couldn't really explain what was happening to me, I didn't understand it so I sat in the exam and barley wrote anything for the questions. It was really frustrating because I knew what I should write I just physically couldn't... that doesn't make any sense but I'm really not making this up. So anyway I got home all upset and tried explaining to my mum what happened thats when she said I'd had a panic attack and talk to my teacher. I went and spoke to my english teacher and all he said was 'well hopefully your coursework will pull up your grade, I'm sure you will be fine' So I didn't go to the exams office to tell them cause what could I have said?
'Hi, in the English Literature exam I had a panic attack but I can't really prove it cause that was my first panic attack, anyway could you note it down on my paper please' yeah right no one would have believed that I bet a ton of kids have tried doing that to boost the grade, they wouldn't have believed me.
Anyway my grade will really suffer from that, I mean really I barely wrote a paragraph for each question.Even with my Mockingbird and Animal Farm grades as well as my coursework I doubt I will get a C for English Literature..

So do you think I could convince the Sixth Form leader to allow me on the course.. I know its a long shot but my grades in English have been good, I don't know if it would help but the teachers I have had for English think I'm really good.. My English teacher is also co-head of Sixth Form and he likes me, he was always saying in class just things like using my work as examples and he always kept saying its A/A* work. Plus I'm a good student and a exceptionally hard worker, I did BTEC Health and Social Care in 50% of the lessons and in my spare time as my lessons clashed with French so I only attended half of them but still have a Distinction*, and I have had a lot of time of school due to hospital but have always caught up on work.

I really want to do English, its my passion honestly and A level is so interesting, my old English teacher told me at the Sixth Form evening I HAVE to do English. Both of my teachers really like me and they are both pretty high up in the English department. with all that do you think I could persuade the Sixth Form leader to let me on the course? Wow sorry this is so long everyone, help is much apreciated :smile:

Firstly, don't panic, you don't know how you've done until results day (you may pleasantly surprise yourself!). Anyway, I don't think you need to worry. As you said, your English teacher liked you and you explained what happened to him so he'll almost certainly support you to do A-Level. You have shown him that you work hard so that will definitely work in your favour. There are so many people in my school who work consistently hard during the year but then because of pressure they don't do as well as they could have on the real thing. But because they worked hard, their teachers let them in for the course anyway. :smile: So try not to worry :redface:
Original post by SrijanParmeshwar
:cry: Sorry, but your thread is lagging behind and every little helps?

Yep! :wink: it does :tongue:

Latest