The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dalek1099
GCSEs aren't everything eg.they don't destroy your life if they are bad results but it is still a disaster no A*s because competition wise you will have lost to so many people on here and in your school.A-Levels decide your future so they are much more important and harder too.

You can get 0 A*s and still get into Cambridge. And getting no A*s doesn't mean you lose because if you work your hardest, you've done well.
Original post by TheNoobyPotato
You can get 0 A*s and still get into Cambridge. And getting no A*s doesn't mean you lose because if you work your hardest, you've done well.

That is extremely unlikely,the average candidate at oxbridge has like 5 or 6a* something like that from what I heard,at GCSE.
That is extremely unlikely,the average candidate at oxbridge has like 5 or 6a* something like that from what I heard,at GCSE.

Actually you are wrong. That may be the average number of A*s for Oxbridge, but cambridge specifically care very little about your GCSEs. They look at your percentage at GCSEs. Say you might get 15 A*s at GCSE and then scrape 5 As at AS level. All around 80-90%, and say there was someone else who got 0A*s at GCSE, but had 95%+ in their AS levels. They would not even give you an interview for a competitive course like medicine for example. Or they are very unlikely too. But the other person has a good chance of getting in.
This is from going to the open days and any Cambridge forum or anything like that that talks about how to get into Cambridge. There is a presentation that Cambridge made showing why they care less about gcses than your as levels. I can't get it on my phone though.
But otherwise your gcses are really quite important for competitive courses.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 3983

Yes, this is true, people debate whether GCSEs are looked at, and clearly they are not always the deciding factor, but they can differentiate between close candidates. Also, performing terribly at GCSE then meeting the entry requirements at A-Level doesn't show consistency in studying some times. Not to say that they won't see the improvement as a good thing.
Reply 3984
Original post by Coke1
They made it clear that they will make it equal from year to year, so no one is disadvantaged. The amount of people getting each grade is calculated fairly depending on a lot of different factors, so it isn't like 'Oh I got an A this year, but last year I totes would've got an A*'.

I emailed Ofqual regarding any change in GCSE grading policy. They replied stating that nothing is being changed for the 2012 exam season.

Reply 3985
This is GCSE not A-Level completely different things.You have to get some A*s at GCSE though or your results are a disaster,my brother only got one A* and my sister only got 2 A*s though,they got A*AB if A*s were available and ABB,respectively at A-Level,so GCSEs aren't everything.

Lovely advice, but when you get to Year 10/11\12\13 and actually experience GCSEs and A-levels, please feel you are in a position to comment:-)

That is a incorrect correlation. It's not because you cant get in without those grades its because people who apply DO get those grades. You must look at teh statistic carefully.

Original post by Jord1995
Lovely advice, but when you get to Year 10/11\12\13 and actually experience GCSEs and A-levels, please feel you are in a position to comment:-)

THATS WHAT I SAID :laugh:

:five:
Original post by >Untitled<

Lol nice one, I love that film :biggrin:

Grade boundaries tomorrow!!!!!!!

My sig is scaring me now!!!! :redface:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by rock.and.rose
I'm actually planning on going to university in the US (where my dad is from), so I can see myself doing a double major in history + one other subject.

The great thing about college in the US, is you don't have to declare a major until (usually) the end of sophomore year.

My twin brother already knows exactly what he wants to do. He wants to study physiotherapy.

Is your brother thinking of going to America because I am thinking of also studying physiotherapy and trying for a scholarship in America as I do a lot of sport at national level :smile:
Original post by g.k.galloway
Lol nice one, I love that film :biggrin:

Grade boundaries tomorrow!!!!!!!

My sig is scaring me now!!!! :redface:

Do you know what time they will be released in the morning or midnight :confused:?
Original post by SchoolKid.
Do you know what time they will be released in the morning or midnight :confused:?

its estimated to be in the early hours...I would say probably just after midnight, around one maybe? We'll have to see :smile: I'll probably just check them in the morning when I get up on Weds:smile:
Wow I feel like a loser looking at the prediction results of the members already. Not my fault that my school mostly has only BTECs. I'm going to have a hard time getting into university and that too medicine. :puppyeyes::puppyeyes:

Name: walkers38
GCSEs (Subjects): Maths, Statistics, Science, Additional Science, English language, English Literature, Media Studies, French, Religious Education, Health and Social care (First Diploma), ICT (First Award), Sports Studies
Predictions: 9A*,2A, 4B, 1C (counting BTECS as gcse grades)
A-Levels: Maths, Chemistry, Biology, Physics
Results: Lets see what 23 Aug has in store for me :gasp:
Original post by SchoolKid.

My school said we can collect our results from 10:30am - noon.
Original post by walkers38
Wow I feel like a loser looking at the prediction results of the members already. Not my fault that my school mostly has only BTECs. I'm going to have a hard time getting into university and that too medicine. :puppyeyes::puppyeyes:

Name: walkers38
GCSEs (Subjects): Maths, Statistics, Science, Additional Science, English language, English Literature, Media Studies, French, Religious Education, Health and Social care (First Diploma), ICT (First Award), Sports Studies
Predictions: 9A*,2A, 4B, 1C (counting BTECS as gcse grades)
A-Levels: Maths, Chemistry, Biology, Physics
Results: Lets see what 23 Aug has in store for me :gasp:

Hiya, welcome to the thread :smile: I'm hoping to do medicine too

Good Luck for thursday...a.k.a. the day after tomorrow :eek::eek::eek:
Reply 3995
i thought aqa would releasing their grade boundries today? :frown:
Original post by walkers38
My school said we can collect our results from 10:30am - noon.

:rofl: Not the results, the grade boundaries.
Original post by Lilbixxie
Yh thats why i didnt take it. I don't even know why but after doing additional Maths Ive fallen in love with it. I basically hate every other subject. Except for Pe but I was too lazy to ever take that. I have no idea what uni to go to but it's cool that you know where you wanna go and stuff. I'm just hoping to get into A university

Oh no! It's only after doing additional maths do I hate maths even further. I just find it too not-the-right-subject-for-me. I guess everyone's different though hey? Yeah well I'm hoping to get into Imperial but after Thursday I might have to re-consider. Anyways 2 more days :O and the grade boundaries are out tomorrow; exciting! :tongue:
Original post by tkhan2
i thought aqa would releasing their grade boundries today? :frown:

Tbh i thought edexcel would release their grade boundaries today; i waited until 1 am as well :frown:
When are the papers we sat released as past papers??

Latest