The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Uni of Manchester FAQ - almost everything you've ever wanted to know about UoM

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Any pros and cons of U o Manchester. I got admission in MSc Advanced Engineering Materials and in dilemma whether to join or not??
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Original post by chaman
Any pros and cons of U o Manchester. I got admission in MSc Advanced Engineering Materials and in dilemma whether to join or not??

To help us narrow it down / make it a bit more relevant to you, what's important to you in a uni?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 182
Campus life and a job after graduation..:ditto:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by chaman
Campus life and a job after graduation..:ditto:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Campus life is pretty good - nice buildings, with a lot of investment going into them at the moment (£1bn over several years), close to the city centre, incredibly well connected (Europe's busiest bus route runs through it + train station up the road), they're about to change the main road through the campus so that only buses / taxis / bikes can go through it, which will be nice, lots to do in terms of activities, clubs and societies at the students' union, 24/7 study space available at the brand new Learning Commons, cheap housing nearby, UK's largest single site library (4m books + electronic resources + journals)... tis good :yep:

Manchester is known to be a good university for engineering, and it's the uni that's 2nd most targetted by employers too, so I doubt you'll have a problem getting a job after graduation (or if you do, it's not because you went to Manchester!). The Careers Service is reckoned to be good too.
Original post by Origami Bullets
Read this :smile: Whitworth Park is the closest halls to Stopford, but that shouldn't really be top of your list http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2091577

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 185
Thanks for reply :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 186
Campus life is pretty good - nice buildings, with a lot of investment going into them at the moment (£1bn over several years), close to the city centre, incredibly well connected (Europe's busiest bus route runs through it + train station up the road), they're about to change the main road through the campus so that only buses / taxis / bikes can go through it, which will be nice, lots to do in terms of activities, clubs and societies at the students' union, 24/7 study space available at the brand new Learning Commons, cheap housing nearby, UK's largest single site library (4m books + electronic resources + journals)... tis good :yep:

Manchester is known to be a good university for engineering, and it's the uni that's 2nd most targetted by employers too, so I doubt you'll have a problem getting a job after graduation (or if you do, it's not because you went to Manchester!). The Careers Service is reckoned to be good too.

How can I fund my studies at U o M. What are scholarship options available.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by chaman
How can I fund my studies at U o M. What are scholarship options available.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Which country are you from?
Reply 188
I'm from India.
Which country are you from?
Original post by chaman
I'm from India.

There's funding advice here from the uni http://www.manchester.ac.uk/postgraduate/funding/internationalfunding/

There's a useful little postgrad funding tool here http://www.manchester.ac.uk/postgraduate/funding/search/

You should be aware, however, that international students are largely regarded by the UK university system and government as being there to financially prop up the universities and subsidise home students. So don't expect a free ride in terms of funding.
Reply 190
Original post by chaman
I'm from India.

what course have u applied for ?? i am also from india and i have firmed manchester

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 191

hey i have firmed manchester for chemical engineering with business management and i have chosen oak house as my hall of residence as it is not overpriced and has a nice social life :biggrin: i would like to know about the transportation ?? how much time will it take to reach college and should i choose city campus as it is nearer , but i would love to be around lively people please help :O

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 192
I have applied to MSc advanced engineering materials. Do you have any correspondence from Manchester about scholarships.
Original post by dipansh
what course have u applied for ?? i am also from india and i have firmed manchester

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by dipansh
hey i have firmed manchester for chemical engineering with business management and i have chosen oak house as my hall of residence as it is not overpriced and has a nice social life :biggrin: i would like to know about the transportation ?? how much time will it take to reach college and should i choose city campus as it is nearer , but i would love to be around lively people please help :O

Posted from TSR Mobile

All your questions are answered on the Accommodation FAQ :biggrin:
Reply 194
thank u :biggrin: u r awsum :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 195
When are the sports trials normally held? (mainly cricket, tennis and volleyball) And do you have any stats or anything on how many students trial for the unviersity teams on average each year?
Original post by Hardik95
When are the sports trials normally held? (mainly cricket, tennis and volleyball) And do you have any stats or anything on how many students trial for the unviersity teams on average each year?

For those teams that hold trials (not all do - some take anyone and everyone, and then divide people into squads based on ability) they'll normally be held quite early on in the term. You'll normally sign up at freshers fair, and they'll give you all the details about trials then. If you miss freshers fair for whatever reason, the contact details are here http://www.sport.manchester.ac.uk/athletic-union

However, it looks like volleyball, cricket and tennis will take anyone and everyone, though there may still be trials to sort people into different squads within the clubs.
Does anyone know if it's possible to pay the tuition fee at the Student Services Centre?
Original post by kingquang
Does anyone know if it's possible to pay the tuition fee at the Student Services Centre?

Yes it is
I don't see an MMA society!!!! :frown: If i dnt have somewhere to train i'm gonna go mad!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending