The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Uni of Manchester FAQ - almost everything you've ever wanted to know about UoM

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 12284
Are there disounts for students for bus travel? Do students need their own laptops? Do lecturers post the lectures online as podcasts?
Thanks!

You can get a student bus pass that lets you travel across Manchester for £205 per academic year.

You don't need your own laptop unless you find it useful, I've managed so far just using my desktop at home and the university's PC hubs.

Many of the lecture theatres automatically upload a video podcast (capturing audio and whatever's on the screen) after each lecture but lecturers are allowed to opt out of it so it's not guaranteed that you will have podcasts available for all your units.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 401
Original post by HandmadeTurnip
It does have a community feel but a proper campus uni would probably still be better in that regard. That said, I've also been a student at a heavily campus-based university but I prefer Manchester overall. I think the advantages of a city university outweigh those of a campus one.

Generally speaking, the walk between academic buildings is fairly negligible and probably no worse than most campus universities. Most of the accommodation is a short bus ride away, however.

What advantages are there of a city uni that outweigh a campus one apart from more nightlife? I dont know whether to choose campus or city one anymore...
Original post by 12284
What advantages are there of a city uni that outweigh a campus one apart from more nightlife? I dont know whether to choose campus or city one anymore...

It's less isolated, you have more available to you than just what's in your little campus bubble. My previous university (Lancaster) was situated on a campus in the middle of the countryside though so I imagine not all campus universities are that bad.

Neither city nor campus universities are 'better' as such, it comes down to personal preference. I'd recommend reading about each individual university you're interested in so you can find out about its location and layout, rather than trying to make decisions on the somewhat vague idea of city vs. campus.
Reply 403
I am looking at accommodation for this uni online as i can't attend open days! For someone who wants to study English, loves partying, is a general extrovert and loves socializing, what would be the best accommodation?? i want to go self catered btw
Original post by obj98
I am looking at accommodation for this uni online as i can't attend open days! For someone who wants to study English, loves partying, is a general extrovert and loves socializing, what would be the best accommodation?? i want to go self catered btw

Have you read the Accommodation FAQ?

Fallowfield is generally more social than the other campuses and has three self-catered halls; Oak House, Richmond Park and Sheavyn House. You might want to consider Owens Park as well (it's got the biggest reputation for partying etc.) but it's catered.
Has anyone gone through Clearing 2015 to get into a science based course e.g physics or an engineering course e.g aeronautical engineering
which buses do you get from burkhardt house to get to manchester piccadilly? Is there an app for all the bus times and routes?
Original post by sleepisheaven
which buses do you get from burkhardt house to get to manchester piccadilly? Is there an app for all the bus times and routes?

143 and 142, the magic buses end at picadilly gardens, and you can walk there
Reply 408
Original post by HandmadeTurnip
It's less isolated, you have more available to you than just what's in your little campus bubble. My previous university (Lancaster) was situated on a campus in the middle of the countryside though so I imagine not all campus universities are that bad.

Neither city nor campus universities are 'better' as such, it comes down to personal preference. I'd recommend reading about each individual university you're interested in so you can find out about its location and layout, rather than trying to make decisions on the somewhat vague idea of city vs. campus.

Original post by SeamanDemon
There is a walking distance between most of the buildings in the main campus. For some building you need to take a 5 minute bus ride.

Are there any free courses that let students gain an extra qualification to improve their employability? I know that Imperial College has something called Horizon which lets students learn a language or business skills to broaden their knowledge, does Manchester have anything like this?
Thanks!
Original post by 12284
Are there any free courses that let students gain an extra qualification to improve their employability? I know that Imperial College has something called Horizon which lets students learn a language or business skills to broaden their knowledge, does Manchester have anything like this?
Thanks!

If there is such a thing, I'm not aware of it. The closest thing Manchester has is its College for Interdisciplinary Learning. I don't know a huge amount about it though, I think it uses up some of the credits from your degree so it doesn't give you an 'extra qualification' as such.
Original post by 12284
Thanks!

Manchester Leadership Programme (think management module combined with volunteering, run by the careers department)

Languages Education for All Programme (Languages for those studying other subjects)

University College for Interdisciplinary Learning (puts on modules in specific subjects that are open to students on any course with free choice modules)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi! Im a newbie on TSR! Im now doing A2 and Im planning to apply for law in Manchester. My predicted grades are AAB and do you think my grades are good enough to enter Manchester? And how is the accommodation?Many thanks!!:smile:
Does anyone know if there is the option to change from Physics with Theoretical Physics MSci to just a Physics MSci at Manchester? Thank youuuuuuuuuuu ^^
Original post by physicalgraffiti
Does anyone know if there is the option to change from Physics with Theoretical Physics MSci to just a Physics MSci at Manchester? Thank youuuuuuuuuuu ^^

Probably but you'll need to ask your school.
Does anyone know whether Manchester will look at my Chinese A level results even if i am a native speaker?
Many thanks!
I have been invited to an interview at Manchester studying Mathematics and Physics.
In the PDF they attached to the email there is a section saying:

It is really important that you confirm your attendance as early as possible. Please replyusing the "Online Reply Slip"

The last three words are highlighted blue, as though a hyperlink is supposed to be there... but there isn't?
Not sure what to do, could anyone give me any advice?
Should I be waiting for another email, I received the interview invite 5 days ago.
Drop them an email. It sounds like they think they've sent you the link!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Origami Bullets
Drop them an email. It sounds like they think they've sent you the link!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Alright, will do. Didn't want to seem stupid by asking them and the answer was really obvious.
:smile:
Reply 418
Hi just wondering is there any real differences between the accounting and the accounting and finance courses. I see that the straight accounting course has AAA while including finance is AAB.
Original post by doudsy
Hi just wondering is there any real differences between the accounting and the accounting and finance courses. I see that the straight accounting course has AAA while including finance is AAB.

Go and have an in depth look at the modules on offer - that will tell you exactly what you will be taught in each year on each course

http://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/2016/05151/accounting-and-finance-3-years-baecon/course-details/
http://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/2016/07808/accounting-3-years-bsc/course-details/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending