The Student Room Group

GCSE Edexcel Maths Unit 3 19/06/2012 Exam Discussion

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Original post by Melissajanex
I don't like sohcahcoa, can I not just use the sine and cosine rule instead?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

sohcahtoa is a lot easier if every time you write it out like this
o a o
s h c h t a

Then you have three formula triangles :biggrin:

OK that didnt work :L stupid TSR formatting it
(edited 11 years ago)
Thank god, just that it was in the spec, how likely is loci to come up its in the spec but I've never heard of
It!!

Not entirely sure how you can guarantee completing the square wont come up cause I have seen questions which say "using completing the square".
Original post by moorbre
OK its a loooong time since I done that, but basically its the distance from an object, in no given direction e.g saying an area around an school in which buses will be served to.
If you are given two or more loci you can use this information to find possible places where something could be e.g someone is 5 km away from the airport and 3 km away from the police station and the station and airport are 7 km away from each other....
what you could do is draw a spot for each building 7cm away from each other ( 1cm=1km as a scale and then draw using a compass circles around each building one with radius 3cm (the station) and the other radius of 5cm ( the airport), where the circles overlap is the possible places the person could be :smile:

Loci is used satellite navigation, by using this with 3 satellites to determine a exact location.

Does this help ?:biggrin:

Oh this came up on my mock exam only got 1 out of 3 marks for it but I think I know what I'm doing now. Thankyou very much!!:biggrin:

Original post by moorbre
sohcahtoa is a lot easier if every time you write it out like this
o a o
s h c h t a

Then you have three formula triangles :biggrin:

OK that didnt work :L stupid TSR formatting it

So would opposite be sine of angle /hypotenuse ?

(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 384
So would opposite be sine of angle times by hypotenuse ?

yes... let me write it out a way tsr my understand ><

o
s h
a
c h
o
t a

Cover up what you want to find out and x or / what you have :smile:
e.g in the triangle cover up the top, times the bottom two together, if one of the bottom corners of the triangle is covered up divide the top by what you left uncovered at the bottom :biggrin:
sine = opposite/hypotenuse

cos = adjacent/hypotenuse

tan = opposite/adjacent

/ = Divided by

so SOHCAHTOA
Original post by moorbre
yes... let me write it out a way tsr my understand ><

o
s h
a
c h
o
t a

Cover up what you want to find out and x or / what you have :smile:
e.g in the triangle cover up the top, times the bottom two together, if one of the bottom corners of the triangle is covered up divide the top by what you left uncovered at the bottom :biggrin:

Ohhh Thankyou! Amazing what tips you get on here. If you dont mind me asking when do you use sine-1 ect?

Reply 387
Oh this came up on my mock exam only got 1 out of 3 marks for it but I think I know what I'm doing now. Thankyou very much!!:biggrin:

be careful whether they want to find out the area where e.g the person could be as if i said within 5km of the airport and within 3km of the station, what you probably do is shade the area the circles overlap. but if its exact distances away like i originally said, then you should in the case i used get two exact answers
Reply 388
Ohhh Thankyou! Amazing what tips you get on here. If you dont mind me asking when do you use sine-1 ect?

e.g sinx=1/2
sinx = 0.33
to find x
or x could be theta ( the angle)
same goes for cos-1 and tan-1
Original post by moorbre
be careful whether they want to find out the area where e.g the person could be as if i said within 5km of the airport and within 3km of the station, what you probably do is shade the area the circles overlap. but if its exact distances away like i originally said, then you should in the case i used get two exact answers

Yeah it was within I just didn't use my compass and ruler to draw arches and then shade in the area. Silly me just measured it with a ruler and squiggled in the two spots:colondollar:

Original post by moorbre
e.g sinx=1/2
sinx = 0.33
to find x
or x could be theta ( the angle)
same goes for cos-1 and tan-1

Thanks so finding the angle is sin-1 ect. Thankyou.

Reply 391
Thanks so finding the angle is sin-1 ect. Thankyou.

Good luck tomorrow tell me how it goes... any more questions ?
Thanks for all your help guys, wish you all the luck for the exam today. =) =)
Original post by Bixel
I think it's positive 3x because you're subtracting the 5x from the left hand side from the 8x on the right hand side, and 8x - 5x = 3x :P

Oh so you must of put all of the 'x' on the right side. Okay fair enough, thanks
Reply 394
For bounds, my teacher said that:

6.43 to 2 decimal places would be:

Highest value = 6.434???? Isn't it 6.435?

HELP :smile:
Reply 395
Original post by momanium
Sorry for the late reply, you can edit it if you click the yellow bar at the top which says "enable editing". You have really good grades and are in a good position :biggrin:. You need 130 out of 160 so roughly 65 out of 80 for an a*. Good luck :smile:

Don't worry :smile: I think it's cause I don't have excel on my laptop or something.. Ohh, thanks! :biggrin: you too :smile:
SHOOOOT GOOD LUCK ALL! I really cannot do last minute revision, I know what I know, I can't increase my knowledge right now. I'll just take another quick look at circle theorems and thats about it. HOPEEE YOU ALL ACE IT
How many marks out of 80 would you guys predict A*/A/B?
afterall it's new spec so it could be extremely high or extremely low
Reply 398
Original post by cleveradam
How many marks out of 80 would you guys predict A*/A/B?
afterall it's new spec so it could be extremely high or extremely low

I think 70/80 for A*, 60/80 for A and 50/80 for B.

For the whole gcse maths an A* is dependent on units 1 and 2 marks.
Reply 399
Original post by Tarmu
For bounds, my teacher said that:

6.43 to 2 decimal places would be:

Highest value = 6.434???? Isn't it 6.435?

HELP :smile:

UB:6.435
LB:6.425

Your teacher is wierd. Is she/he really qualified?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending