The Student Room Group

English Language AQA ENGB3 11th June 2012 exam

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Beyond relieved thats finished, thought it went quite well considering I was on holiday the week before the exam and only revised yesterday/today :smile:

Q1: Straight away knew I'd pick this because I love speech far more than any of the others and the writing looked too good if that makes any sense? Wrote about the uses of the activities, linked picture cards to Nelson, wrote about the Mother which I linked to Skinner, used Crystal, Racoria and Halliday (I really revised Halliday so I'm so pleased I could use it!!) and also managed to slip John Dore in there :smile: Think it was quite a good text in the end, found quite a bit to write about her.

Q3: Was really struggling on which one to choose out of the change, thought the adverts looked a lot more interesting but learnt a lot of dates and old features of language which I thought I could put in. Really bummed that I couldn't find any of the word terminology (ameliaration, euphamism etc.) because I learnt them all so well yesterday in either of them though! Wrote about contractions, Johnathon Swift, de and prescriptivism, functionalist theory, orthography, abbreviation, capitalisation of abstract nouns, dialect and punctuation and grammar with Lydley Marrie. I also wrote about the Industrial Revolution, how inoculation was new (?) and how the James guy would ahve been lower class and not had a proper education.

Thought it went a lot better than expected and even put a little smiley face at the end in the hope the examiner might be a bit nicer haha.
That was... to be honest, I don't even know what to make of it.
I did Q1 and Q3. At times I thought I was making quite good points, but the majority of the 2.5 hours all I could think was 'This is crap.. That is crap... You're being too vague... This isn't a good essay'. I don't know whether I've done enough to get my A, but I'm hopeful for a high B.
Original post by thompsonic7
If you wanted an earlier time period why did you just do Question 3?

Agreed

All you'd do is compare that text to use of language in the present day
i answered q1- really nice!!

and q4- as i also did the jan paper and it was kind of similiar. lots of A02 with technology/gender and power!

better than i expected! definetly!
I did question 1 and 4. Everyone else I've talked to did those ones too.

I think Q1 was quite good, although I don't know if I talked about context enough for text A. And I spent ages yesterday learning Halliday's functions but I didn't end up mentioning any of them. >_< I'm a bit annoyed at myself for that. This morning I looked at the Examiner's Report for some past papers and tried to include some of the things they said they liked in previous papers. Hopefully I did quite well.
Also, in text B where she's looking at the pictures and she says "it's Pooh Bear," did anyone else say that could have been overextension? I wasn't sure if it was because we don't actually see what the picture was, but she might label all bears as 'Pooh Bear.'

Q4 was alright. It was a bit annoying that the old text was still fairly recent, so we couldn't talk about the dictionary and standardisation and stuff, but there was still quite a lot to talk about. I think my analysis of the text was a bit too AS-ish at first but I did bring in some stuff about context and I talked about neologisms and technology and stuff, so I think it's okay.

I really can't tell what grade I'm gonna get. I go between thinking "that was really good, I could get an A" and "oh god what if it wasn't good enough, I definitely failed." I guess I'll just have to wait until results day.
(edited 11 years ago)
I did Q1 and Q4 and I thought Q4 was ok , like obviously not a lot of language change as in orthographical etc but, you could of talked about technology and how it has an impact on language like new coined words and blends etc, it was mainly context based though I thought. And Q1 was ok too but, at some points I just felt I kept repeating myself, don't worry I'm sure you have done fine honestly!
Reply 386
Original post by Tom Hardy
Well, what a ****ing shambles. Couldn't have asked for a better language acquisition really, the social interaction texts were superb in my opinion. However, the language change, what the **** was that? ****ing first of all the time periods where ****, ****ing 1933 and 2009, wave goodbye to pre-standardisation guys. I managed to write 4-5 pages for it and included some of key frameworks: lexical, grammatical and graphological (due to advertisement), however I just think I waffled on, despite including aspects of AO1, AO2 and AO3. I needed a C (81/120) for this paper and unfortunately I don't even think I have achieved that, which if not puts my university chances out the window since I would be doing this.

So ****ing gutted, a whole summer wondering whether I will be resitting next year :frown: To make things worse I have a history exam tomorrow, why is life so ****?

I'm the same! Texts were mediocre but i completely messed up! I'm so gutted waffled far too much!!!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Compared to my shambolic paper in January I really liked the texts in this one.

Got a bit nervous this morning thinking I'd put all my eggs in one basket by only revising speech but that question we got was excellent, managed to mention loads.

Didn't like the look of Q3, probably should have read it... but Q4 I wrote too much about context definitely. Hopefully it balances out.
I quite liked the language change one...the car adverts one had plenty of features to write about as you could mention power, persuasive features, latinate/greek etc. The dates could've been a bit earlier but I wrote 4 pages...

The acq one wasn't as good. I was always going to do the writing/reading acq q but it kind of threw me being 11 year olds!!! That isnt acquisition!!! Ah well... I wrote nearly 4 pages so fingers crossed I can get an A :biggrin:
Reply 389
Could someone explain what was so daunting about Question 3? I chose it and personally loved it, yet everyone in my class chose Question 4... why did the majority choose question 4?

Question 1 was a god-send. Loved it. Question 3 was a bit more difficult, however that was expected because Language Change has never been my strong point!
I thought the exam was okay. I thought I might try the writing question before I went in as everybody had decided they were gonna do spoken, but as the writing were 2 11year olds, I was like lol no cuz I've only ever done it for young children really.. But I thought question 1 was really good :smile: I had loads to say.

I thought the change questions were great texts!!! But I did question 3, I liked it and I wrote loads, just not sure if I wrote the right stuff. Didn't get a lot of A02 consciously in, whereas I did for question 1.

Reply 391
After having another exam and then writing the ac essay, I saw question 3 and was like "NOOO my brain is too mushed for understanding crazy old speak!"
Reply 392
In all honesty, I thought that was the easiest A2 paper I've done yet :smile: I'm just hoping this'll make up for the fact that I think I've done a bit crap in my AS again.
Original post by Xenite
Exactly the same as me.

Q1 was an easy choice. Normally I like written texts, but I prefer when you can compare two of different ages, and when at least one is younger (both aged 11, when we've generally focused on under-5's CLA.. -_-)

Q4 I took one look at the modern text and decided I didn't want to do it. There was loads about graphology, but I would struggle to analyse the rest with my style of writing.

Q3 I preferred a lot, but after getting most the grammar stuff out the way I felt I was waffling on a lot about orthography and not much else.. Hopefully I managed to get enough context in there during the process...

I am quite worried about context for Q3- I ended up talking about how the desperation to be above the poverty line in times as theses may have influenced why the language was so polite even though you could feel undertones of clear frustration. Total rubbish but I felt like I hadn't written any context
Reply 394
Original post by Abbieastoria
I am quite worried about context for Q3- I ended up talking about how the desperation to be above the poverty line in times as theses may have influenced why the language was so polite even though you could feel undertones of clear frustration. Total rubbish but I felt like I hadn't written any context

For context I put how the text was a transcription of the written letters, therefore problems could have arisen during the transcription process. Also, the fact that the the writer is writing on behalf of the family insinuates he's got some academic background/grammatical understanding, reflected through a fairly sound grammar and good lexical choices.
Original post by suzanneyoung
I did Q1 and Q4 and I thought Q4 was ok , like obviously not a lot of language change as in orthographical etc but, you could of talked about technology and how it has an impact on language like new coined words and blends etc, it was mainly context based though I thought. And Q1 was ok too but, at some points I just felt I kept repeating myself, don't worry I'm sure you have done fine honestly!

Heyy! Abbie morrow oioi!
Anyway, usually your class normally does the opposite question to my class but this time there was a mix ruby did q3 same as me and I think Joanne and Kirsty did q4
Reply 396
I got myself in a panic and messed up :frown: really can't believe it - I was predicted A* as well and got 118/120 last year. I probably got a C in the exam.

I feel like my essays were poorly structure and my point were weak :'(. The texts were pretty good though. I did Q1 and Q3.
Reply 397
Original post by Tom Hardy
Well, what a ****ing shambles. Couldn't have asked for a better language acquisition really, the social interaction texts were superb in my opinion. However, the language change, what the **** was that? ****ing first of all the time periods where ****, ****ing 1933 and 2009, wave goodbye to pre-standardisation guys. I managed to write 4-5 pages for it and included some of key frameworks: lexical, grammatical and graphological (due to advertisement), however I just think I waffled on, despite including aspects of AO1, AO2 and AO3. I needed a C (81/120) for this paper and unfortunately I don't even think I have achieved that, which if not puts my university chances out the window since I would be doing this.

So ****ing gutted, a whole summer wondering whether I will be resitting next year :frown: To make things worse I have a history exam tomorrow, why is life so ****?

you do know that you get marks for similarities as well as differences right?
Original post by HolyFuzazzle
I thought the exam was okay. I thought I might try the writing question before I went in as everybody had decided they were gonna do spoken, but as the writing were 2 11year olds, I was like lol no cuz I've only ever done it for young children really.. But I thought question 1 was really good :smile: I had loads to say.

I thought the change questions were great texts!!! But I did question 3, I liked it and I wrote loads, just not sure if I wrote the right stuff. Didn't get a lot of A02 consciously in, whereas I did for question 1.

I did question 3 too :smile: what did you write about?
Original post by Abbieastoria
Heyy! Abbie morrow oioi!
Anyway, usually your class normally does the opposite question to my class but this time there was a mix ruby did q3 same as me and I think Joanne and Kirsty did q4

hhahaha Hello! I really thought ruby would of pick q4 it seemed like her type of question , i didn't even look at q3 properly was there a lot to talk about ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending