The Student Room Group

English Language AQA ENGB3 11th June 2012 exam

Scroll to see replies

Reply 420
Original post by Jakeeyy
Low grade boundaries you think?

I think they're gna b roughly the same tbh.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by HolyFuzazzle
I found lots of semantic change stuff, so I wrote about that...
I focused on Lexis and semantics a lot, and why he used the words and what they implied about the society... Like about gender and upper class education and being indebted to the people he was asking money towards, and he was probably more educated than the family he was writing for.
I wrote a lot about context and the writer's level of education and his credibility and all that..
Orthography, in terms of spelling and stuff...
Grammar, irregular/wrong forms, long clauses, passive voice... Contracted forms.
I went into loads of detail so I missed out a loud of stuff I wanted to say :/

Yeah I focused a lot on semantics too and orthography, and I also think there was quite a bit on grammar but I didn't manage to link in much from AS, I wish I had have mentioned gender, hopefully we all get the grades we need :biggrin:
Reply 422
Won't be as harshly treated as January either due to it being known as a summer exam.
Reply 423
Haha hello D grade.
Original post by alexbuckley7894
Yeah I focused a lot on semantics too and orthography, and I also think there was quite a bit on grammar but I didn't manage to link in much from AS, I wish I had have mentioned gender, hopefully we all get the grades we need :biggrin:

The gender stuff was a little deep and implicit, I just made a comment about how he mentioned how ill the man of the family was first and how that might illustrate the need the family had for money better as the head of the family couldn't support it... Male roles, etc. Then the sort of language used in relation to the females was like, 'poor' and the wife was talked about in relation to how her death would affect her children... So it's kinda blaggy, it's probably nt even right I just thought I should try and get context in :/ or A02, apparently that counts.

But yes, hopefully! I'm sure you did well!!!
(edited 11 years ago)
Q1 was okay, which surprised me cause i've always been better at language change than child language but i think i got a lot down for it...hopefully that makes up for the load of rubbish i wrote for Q3! I repeated something about lack of standardisation and a social divide for aout 3 pages...oops!
Reply 426
Original post by brighteyes123
what was the name of the car in the 2009 advert? i loved it and i really want to find it!!

Do you mean the 1930s advert? there was no pictures of cars in the 2009 one lol?
Reply 427
The gender stuff was a little deep and implicit, I just made a comment about how he mentioned how ill the man of the family was first and how that might illustrate the need the family had for money better as the head of the family couldn't support it... Male roles, etc. Then the sort of language used in relation to the females was like, 'poor' and the wife was talked about in relation to how her death would affect her children... So it's kinda blaggy, it's probably nt even right I just thought I should try and get context in :/ or A02, apparently that counts.

All your essays sound so much better than mine D:
Reply 428
After freaking out a bit over the questions gotta admit, could of been alot lot worse. Lets hope the examiners appreciate stuff we all pulled in from AS for Q4!
Reply 429
Hi...did anyone find Section B - Language Change, difficult?! I found it near impossible to find things to write about for the first question..apart from a few features - the language seemed pretty similar to that of today! Obviously there was loads of context with the letters etc but was conscious that this is the AO with the least credit. Bleugh! x
Original post by Jakeeyy
All your essays sound so much better than mine D:

No, I feel the same about everyone else's :/ Just try not to worry about it!

I talked about the use of 'poor' when referring to the daughter as well, whilst the son was said to 'behave more like a man than a child', indicating the son was better able to cope with bad situations. I also talked about how the context from the question mentions the letter is to the 'Legh family' whereas he only addresses the patriach, showing the male dominance of the time.

I think I did too much A02/A03 and nowhere near enough A01 :/
Reply 432
No, I feel the same about everyone else's :/ Just try not to worry about it!

The words "Year 14" spring to mind haha. Anyone see what i wrote? Be good if anyone can relate haha.
Original post by thompsonic7
I talked about the use of 'poor' when referring to the daughter as well, whilst the son was said to 'behave more like a man than a child', indicating the son was better able to cope with bad situations. I also talked about how the context from the question mentions the letter is to the 'Legh family' whereas he only addresses the patriach, showing the male dominance of the time.

I think I did too much A02/A03 and nowhere near enough A01 :/

Oh that's a good point the second one, Ididnt think about that. Same with the next one :/ which is so obvious, urgh...

I think I got enough A01, that's just terminology, structure and analysis, but I'm worried about A02...
Reply 434
Original post by Jakeeyy
Haha hello D grade.

trust me hahaha
Original post by Jakeeyy
The words "Year 14" spring to mind haha. Anyone see what i wrote? Be good if anyone can relate haha.

The D grade thing? But don't worry. What do you need?
Oh that's a good point the second one, Ididnt think about that. Same with the next one :/ which is so obvious, urgh...

I think I got enough A01, that's just terminology, structure and analysis, but I'm worried about A02...

A02 encompasses most things though... attitudes towards language, language change, power, gender, technology, political correctness... From what I've seen of you're posts, you've included more than enough!
Original post by thompsonic7
A02 encompasses most things though... attitudes towards language, language change, power, gender, technology, political correctness... From what I've seen of you're posts, you've included more than enough!

Really? See I got confused about the line between context and AO2 then... Hm it sounds like you've done enough for AO1 though! But my structure died a little towards the end... *s everywhere!
I thought language change was pretty hard going tbh! I did Q3 but didn't really get much context in! I started with an introduction about it being during emerging standardisation, mentioned Johnson etc. I talked about the contractions and how it was unusual as it was usually used in poetry for syllables and how it bad come from Elizabethan/Jacobean era with Shakespeare and Marlowe but it may have come from even earlier. I mentiomed the sentence structure how much of it was of multiple clauses but some were simple saying it was because the leters seemed urgent/clumsy. Mentioned the "&" sign about Caxton's printing press etc. Descriptiveness/prescriptiveness. The dummy auxiliary "do" in negation. Can't remember any more!

But I did just realise that on question 3 I referred to the texts as A, B & C! How bad will this be?!?! Ahhhhh!!!
Reply 439
The D grade thing? But don't worry. What do you need?

Nah couple pages back i said what i put on the exam. i need a high C for an A overall i think, like 83/120

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending