The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
They're selling lee jeans for £17 at sports direct not normally the place id go looking for jeans but they cost about £34 at the lee shop in London so its a bargain tbh
Reply 781
Can somebody help me out? I saw a friend of mine wearing a Sao Paulo t-shirt. It was white, had SAO PAULO 8 in upper-case letters and was accompanied by pictures of the Sao Paulo mountains. I've checked Topman and River Island but they're not associated with it. I don't know the brand. Can somebody help me out as I would like to buy it. Thanks.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 782
Original post by IcedTea&PotNoodle
How come? Do a lot of people not like chinos? I'm usually a jeans person but I bought my first pair the other day and I really like them. I can understand if people are talking about drop crotch or twisted but Straight chinos look quite nice with a shirt. Thanks for the link, I quite like those. What about Vans?

Just personal preference mate! I don't like how they feel/fit. I think I'll always be a jeans guy :P Yeah, Vans would look good. Now is probably a good time to get some because of the sales (Try Routeone or ASOS)
Reply 783
River Island half price sale starts tomorrow! If you can get there before early opening at 8 you stand the chance of getting a further 50% off with a special wristband.
Reply 784
Original post by joeclarke3
The camo trend is slowly picking up strength. Tinie and Labrinth have definitely done their bit to push it on, given that they can hardly put a foot wrong in the fashion world and have been sporting it since early SS/12. Maybe even a bit before, actually.

If you haven't dropped a trend by the time mouth breathers like Tinie Tempah have picked up on it, you've got serious fashion issues.
Anyone found any good deals in the Asos sale?
Original post by py0alb
If you haven't dropped a trend by the time mouth breathers like Tinie Tempah have picked up on it, you've got serious fashion issues.

Are you serious? Tinie was voted the Best Dressed Male of 2012 by GQ and Labrinth was in the Top 40, and is definitely set to be considered one of the best of 2013.

I'm not even saying that I'm keen on the camo trend myself, I'm generally not very trend driven, I'm merely pointing out that those two have had a big say in getting it into public consciousness more. People are so quick to attack others when it comes to expressing opinions on fashion.
Reply 787
Original post by py0alb

Not that I'm his biggest fan but having seen your blog, he dresses better than you do.
Drop all this 'fashion theory' 'fashion issues' ****, I've quite liked the camo print for a while now (its been huge for well over a decade) and I'm not gonna drop my personal taste just because its been picked up by others.
Reply 788
Original post by joeclarke3
Are you serious? Tinie was voted the Best Dressed Male of 2012 by GQ and Labrinth was in the Top 40, and is definitely set to be considered one of the best of 2013.

I'm not even saying that I'm keen on the camo trend myself, I'm generally not very trend driven, I'm merely pointing out that those two have had a big say in getting it into public consciousness more. People are so quick to attack others when it comes to expressing opinions on fashion.

lol. As if GQ readers/writers have the first clue. This thread gives better fashion advice than the average GQ article.

There's about an 18 month time lag between something being original and stylish and when people like Tinie Tempah's stylists pick up on it and it eventually becomes fashionable.

By developing your own understanding of style, you're able to be at the cutting edge, not just jumping on one band wagon after another. GQ is great at telling you what you would have looked cool wearing a couple of years ago.
Reply 789
Original post by JD.27
Not that I'm his biggest fan but having seen your blog, he dresses better than you do.
Drop all this 'fashion theory' 'fashion issues' ****, I've quite liked the camo print for a while now (its been huge for well over a decade) and I'm not gonna drop my personal taste just because its been picked up by others.

Did you know the word gullible doesn't actually appear in the dictionary?
Original post by py0alb
lol. As if GQ readers/writers have the first clue. This thread gives better fashion advice than the average GQ article.

There's about an 18 month time lag between something being original and stylish and when people like Tinie Tempah's stylists pick up on it and it eventually becomes fashionable.

By developing your own understanding of style, you're able to be at the cutting edge, not just jumping on one band wagon after another. GQ is great at telling you what you would have looked cool wearing a couple of years ago.

I guess it's all about opinion man, GQ is well-respected across most fashion houses/companies/writers/whatever and I think the majority would agree that they do have some idea about what they're writing about. :P

I'd say that you're being a bit exaggerative with the 18 months bit, but nonetheless, a worthy point, but I wouldn't put it in such extreme terms. Sure, some trends that they pick up on aren't cutting edge, but do they have to be? He looks pretty good in whatever he's wearing and a lot of the time it is mostly forward-thinking and inventive outfits.

Honestly, I think that denouncing GQ in the way you have is more of an effort to undermine my argument rather than promote the opinion you hold. But, to come full circle with this post, I guess it's all about opinion! :smile:
Reply 791
In a not very subtle attempt to steer away from the debate happening above me, how are you guys coping with the traditionally British weather we've been having recently? Today, it is warm but overcast and raining on and off where I live, so I ventured out into town for an opticians appointment in jeans and a shirt, and got uncomfortably hot. However, it is not shorts weather today. Any tips on dressing in this weather and ending up not feeling like I've just run a marathon instead of simply walking somewhere? (I did roll my sleeves up on my shirt, which helped a bit but not really enough).
Original post by Y'crik
In a not very subtle attempt to steer away from the debate happening above me, how are you guys coping with the traditionally British weather we've been having recently? Today, it is warm but overcast and raining on and off where I live, so I ventured out into town for an opticians appointment in jeans and a shirt, and got uncomfortably hot. However, it is not shorts weather today. Any tips on dressing in this weather and ending up not feeling like I've just run a marathon instead of simply walking somewhere? (I did roll my sleeves up on my shirt, which helped a bit but not really enough).

Light layers! Thin jumpers and cardigans are a godsend and don't overcomplicate outfits. A t-shirt with a cardigan or jumper with a decent jacket on top is perfect for the up and down weather at the moment. You can remove either of the last two layers and be suited to whatever changes in the weather. It's all about striking the right balance, I guess.
Reply 793
Original post by Y'crik

I just wear shorts on days like today. Even if it rains, skin dries quicker than jeans.

Alternately, linen trousers are perfect for warm weather.

I put my jeans away in March and won't get them out again til October.
Original post by Y'crik

Chinos are less sweaty than jeans although I understand some people have a moral aversion to them. Usually I don't spend much of my summer in England so here there's only about 2 weeks a year when I feel inclined to wear shorts.

I tend to wear a really thin vest or tshirt with an open lightweight shirt over the top, keeps you warm enough if any breeze picks up and is cool enough in the heat.
Reply 795
Original post by JLXP
Anyone found any good deals in the Asos sale?

Only my Daft Punk sweat. Don't really like shopping with ASOS as you can't try stuff on (although they have an excellent returns policy)
Original post by YMLT
Only my Daft Punk sweat. Don't really like shopping with ASOS as you can't try stuff on (although they have an excellent returns policy)

yeah i'm not a fan of buying online, i'm in the market for some board shorts, but have no motivation to go into town.
Reply 797
Probably not the first time this has been asked, but does anyone have any recommendations for suits for a slim guy? Just something around the £100 mark for interview/graduation sort of thing. Last one I bought from Burton ripped on its first wearing, so I'm think something like Next, M&S, maybe debenhams, but I don't know what kind of cuts and quality they do?
Original post by nosaer
Probably not the first time this has been asked, but does anyone have any recommendations for suits for a slim guy? Just something around the £100 mark for interview/graduation sort of thing. Last one I bought from Burton ripped on its first wearing, so I'm think something like Next, M&S, maybe debenhams, but I don't know what kind of cuts and quality they do?

I was never a fan of the Burton suits, I have the Slim fitting Topman suit which is really nice to wear and well cut.
Debenhams have a blue cross sale on at the moment, so it's probably worth going into store seeing what they have?
For interviews Topman is maybe a little too slim a cut. If you get tailored fit at M&S the trousers are a pretty nice size, loose enough to be taken seriously but not so baggy that you're swimming in them. The regular fit suit trousers are a bit on the loose side though.

Latest