The Student Room Group

Working at Primark - Q&A

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
what happens if you do not clock in and out on the exact shift times? Has anyone got into trouble?

e.g. i sometimes have come in late and then signed out late by staying on the floor working so that i can makeup my full hours for my shift. I sometimes forget what time i finish and then only remember like half an hour later? I think I might get paid for it, but im not sure if i get into trouble/ disciplinary action? Also, has anyone not bothered going for breaks when its only like 15 minutes long?
I have been late by a minute or two once or twice since I've been there (around 5 months) and nothing has been said, not later than one or two minutes clocking in however.

Near to when I started I came in on time but left around 15 minutes later than when I finished since I didn't realise and was on tills just constantly serving customers. I think you do get paid jus based on the timing that you clock in and out since my pay varies by a few pence/pounds month to month despite me working the exact same hours.

Haven't had any disclipinary action or anything since I've been working there. I've found they are pretty laid back to be honest but I'm not going to go and start exploiting that.

I only work four hour shifts so don't get breaks but I would take it if I had it, even if just to go to the back and have a drink/toilet/go on my phone for ten minutes. Pretty sure they legally have to give you a break too so they might get in trouble if you're not taking your breaks possibly.
Reply 582
Yes babe they will.........
Reply 583
Original post by MattR_0
I have been late by a minute or two once or twice since I've been there (around 5 months) and nothing has been said, not later than one or two minutes clocking in however.

Near to when I started I came in on time but left around 15 minutes later than when I finished since I didn't realise and was on tills just constantly serving customers. I think you do get paid jus based on the timing that you clock in and out since my pay varies by a few pence/pounds month to month despite me working the exact same hours.

Haven't had any disclipinary action or anything since I've been working there. I've found they are pretty laid back to be honest but I'm not going to go and start exploiting that.

I only work four hour shifts so don't get breaks but I would take it if I had it, even if just to go to the back and have a drink/toilet/go on my phone for ten minutes. Pretty sure they legally have to give you a break too so they might get in trouble if you're not taking your breaks possibly.

thanks! - i haven't had a disciplinary myself so far so was just wondering.

Original post by farhi25
Yes babe they will.........

who you calling babe?
Hi I'm 15 turning 16 in 2 weeks will I have to wait UNTILL I'm 16 UNTILL I apply
Reply 585
Original post by Kiansmith113
Hi I'm 15 turning 16 in 2 weeks will I have to wait UNTILL I'm 16 UNTILL I apply

not really sure, but i think a school kid (don't know if under 16 or 16) works with us + i think the amount of hours you can work is limited + as well as other restrictions on how many hours you can work in and out of term etc and you get longer breaks too. You get paid lowest minimum wage according to your age which would be approximately i think £4.

the schoolkid working with us only works 4 hours only each week.
Reply 586
Anyone work in stockroom? Is it better than working on shop floor?

I currently work on shop floor (Weekend staff) but want to move upto stockroom as it seems much easier?

Apart from doing deliveries, emptying boxes/ hangers / bags etc what else is there to do?
Original post by Javindo
There seem to have been a lot of openings at Primark lately so as an employee, feel free to ask me anything about the application/induction/training/work environment! :biggrin:

It's really good fun and I highly recommend it for anyone looking to gain retail experience

hey what benefit perks do you get.

i got an interview this week what to expect what kind of question will they ask it it a group or ind
Reply 588
Original post by reim123
hey what benefit perks do you get.

i got an interview this week what to expect what kind of question will they ask it it a group or ind

they ask individually usually whilst filling in forms from your responses and mainly relating to customer service skills and exeriences - check out sites like glassdoor for primark interview questions

most primark interviews are the same with the same questions.
Reply 589
Does anyone know what to do or how to process odds as in department odds like finding missing socks shoes or damaged stuff.
Original post by mao94
Does anyone know what to do or how to process odds as in department odds like finding missing socks shoes or damaged stuff.

For odd socks I'm not too sure but it might be the same as damaged products. At my store we have a box named S&D (soiled and destroyed) which damaged stock goes to. If it has a makeup mark on it or something though we are told to leave it out and they apply a 10% discount on it.
Reply 591
Original post by MattR_0
For odd socks I'm not too sure but it might be the same as damaged products. At my store we have a box named S&D (soiled and destroyed) which damaged stock goes to. If it has a makeup mark on it or something though we are told to leave it out and they apply a 10% discount on it.

we often just leave the oddds in baskets in the fitting rooms but many permenant staff seem to get annoyed with all the odds. are we allowed to just process them ourselves and put them back out as theres often like baskets full of odds for each department
Original post by mao94
we often just leave the oddds in baskets in the fitting rooms but many permenant staff seem to get annoyed with all the odds. are we allowed to just process them ourselves and put them back out as theres often like baskets full of odds for each department

If they are suitable to be put out then yeah it will be fine to do. At my store they are pretty laid back tbh and if you keep your area maintained and be on the shop floor being productive then they are happy. If in doubt just ask a manager for advice.
Reply 593
Original post by MattR_0
If they are suitable to be put out then yeah it will be fine to do. At my store they are pretty laid back tbh and if you keep your area maintained and be on the shop floor being productive then they are happy. If in doubt just ask a manager for advice.

thanks yeah - was just wondering since sometimes odds dont get emptied for like a month and then everyone seems to be angry that theres so many odds baskets and that nobody especially from weekend staff is sorting them
Reply 594
Original post by MattR_0

whenever you get asked to do recovery, do you have to or should you put new stock out. i just make sure everything looks tidy but never pt anything out incase i get the wrong stuff as i dont know when or which items to put as everything gets moved to specific locations and stuff every week.
Original post by mao94
whenever you get asked to do recovery, do you have to or should you put new stock out. i just make sure everything looks tidy but never pt anything out incase i get the wrong stuff as i dont know when or which items to put as everything gets moved to specific locations and stuff every week.

I only put stock out if asked to by a supervisor or manager or I may put some out if the is 1 or 2 t-shirts left (I am on folding tables). Apparently workers restock in the evening so we leave it to them.

Unless the stock is running really low or the is only one size out it should be fine leaving it until it is requested by a supervisor/maanger. That's how it works for my store anyway.
Reply 596
Original post by MattR_0
I only put stock out if asked to by a supervisor or manager or I may put some out if the is 1 or 2 t-shirts left (I am on folding tables). Apparently workers restock in the evening so we leave it to them.

Unless the stock is running really low or the is only one size out it should be fine leaving it until it is requested by a supervisor/maanger. That's how it works for my store anyway.

in my store there is little management actually on the shop floor and we work on weekends where theres no actual permenant department staff so i never know what or should i put anything out as on weekends stuff generally looks empty after ive done recovery and nobody tells us where we should go so end up just putting out returns only .
Reply 597
Original post by mao94
in my store there is little management actually on the shop floor and we work on weekends where theres no actual permenant department staff so i never know what or should i put anything out as on weekends stuff generally looks empty after ive done recovery and nobody tells us where we should go so end up just putting out returns only .

How come there are no permanent staff? Is everyone on weekends temporary at your store?

If you are working on a particular department, your department manager/other manager/supervisor will give you any specific instructions regarding stock. Otherwise, at my store we are generally expected to 'work the bins' (pulling stock from the bins in the stockroom to fill gaps).

In my store, you will generally fill in the morning if you are working a full day (e.g. 9:00-6:30 etc) and move to recovery later in the afternoon. Staff who start working around 12:00 may help with some filling/stock for a short time before moving to recovery.

Hope this helps! :smile:
Reply 598
Original post by ROC10
How come there are no permanent staff? Is everyone on weekends temporary at your store?

If you are working on a particular department, your department manager/other manager/supervisor will give you any specific instructions regarding stock. Otherwise, at my store we are generally expected to 'work the bins' (pulling stock from the bins in the stockroom to fill gaps).

In my store, you will generally fill in the morning if you are working a full day (e.g. 9:00-6:30 etc) and move to recovery later in the afternoon. Staff who start working around 12:00 may help with some filling/stock for a short time before moving to recovery.

Hope this helps! :smile:

sorry i meant that most of the weekend staff are not like those witht he same respnsibilities as those on the weekdays. weekday staff know their departments and everything inside out with knowledge of all figues and stuff too wheras weekend staff generally just do recovery and mainly younger students who dont have any actual responsibilites myself included - we just get shifted or told to move somewhere where it is messy and clear it - only the managers manly pput out stuff on weekends
Reply 599
Original post by mao94
sorry i meant that most of the weekend staff are not like those witht he same respnsibilities as those on the weekdays. weekday staff know their departments and everything inside out with knowledge of all figues and stuff too wheras weekend staff generally just do recovery and mainly younger students who dont have any actual responsibilites myself included - we just get shifted or told to move somewhere where it is messy and clear it - only the managers manly pput out stuff on weekends

Ah I see, that's not how our store works at all. You would think all stores would be similar.

We have department staff, till staff, fitting room staff and CSD staff.

On smaller departments (1/2/11/15/16/23) there is normally one person who works a full day (9.5 hours) and is responsible for all filling and recovery of their department.

On larger departments (4/5/6/7/8) there is normally one person who works a full day and will be responsible for filling and recovering a section(s). There will then be other staff who work shorter shifts (6/7 hours), helping with some filling and then doing recovery.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending