The Student Room Group

Working at Primark - Q&A

Scroll to see replies

I applied to primark last week and two days ago I got an email saying they want to offer me an interview and to call them.

Today I am going to call them however I am terrified. Will they interview me over the phone or will it just be to organise a day to have an interview at the store.

I have never had an interview for a job before and I am so scared. I want the job but its this phone call and the interview that might potentially stop me from getting it because of my nerves (thats if I even call them)

Please help
Original post by Admera
I applied to primark last week and two days ago I got an email saying they want to offer me an interview and to call them.

Today I am going to call them however I am terrified. Will they interview me over the phone or will it just be to organise a day to have an interview at the store.

I have never had an interview for a job before and I am so scared. I want the job but its this phone call and the interview that might potentially stop me from getting it because of my nerves (thats if I even call them)

Please help

Hey, honestly try not to be worried, before your interview just try to think of examples where you have shown compassion, team work, helpfulness. My interview was a bit different because I had mine for a brand new store so there were loads of us all interviewing in a big hall, however your interview will probably be in a meeting room at the store.

Some of the questions I was asked were 'Give me an example of how you have shown team work' - I talked about my DofE 'Give me an example of when you have gone out of your way to help others' - This could be if you've helped somebody with their shopping if they were struggling, if you've helped someone at school etc. Just make sure you take your time and think of good examples. In my interview I even said 'I'm not sure' to one of the question and the interviewer worded it in a different ways so they are all really nice and they all want you to get the job so just be polite and talkative and I sure that you'll get the job.

Good luck x
Original post by Daisy_Love
Hey, honestly try not to be worried, before your interview just try to think of examples where you have shown compassion, team work, helpfulness. My interview was a bit different because I had mine for a brand new store so there were loads of us all interviewing in a big hall, however your interview will probably be in a meeting room at the store.

Some of the questions I was asked were 'Give me an example of how you have shown team work' - I talked about my DofE 'Give me an example of when you have gone out of your way to help others' - This could be if you've helped somebody with their shopping if they were struggling, if you've helped someone at school etc. Just make sure you take your time and think of good examples. In my interview I even said 'I'm not sure' to one of the question and the interviewer worded it in a different ways so they are all really nice and they all want you to get the job so just be polite and talkative and I sure that you'll get the job.

Good luck x

Okay thank you that was really helpful! Do you think if I call them now they'll only want to arrange the date for the interview? I'm worried they'll want to interview me right now over the phone
Original post by Admera
Okay thank you that was really helpful! Do you think if I call them now they'll only want to arrange the date for the interview? I'm worried they'll want to interview me right now over the phone

I think that they'd probably want to meet you in person to do the interview, as I haven't heard of anyone at my store having had an over the phone interview, and I'm sure they would have said if they were going to do the interview, but maybe just have a think about some answers to possible questions just in case they do want to do it.
I think that they'd probably want to meet you in person to do the interview, as I haven't heard of anyone at my store having had an over the phone interview, and I'm sure they would have said if they were going to do the interview, but maybe just have a think about some answers to possible questions just in case they do want to do it.

okay good idea thank you so much :smile:
Original post by Admera
okay good idea thank you so much :smile:

You're welcome, let us know how you get on x
You're welcome, let us know how you get on x

I phoned up and the woman I was supposed to speak to was off ill so I have to try again tomorrow
I'll have my Primark interview at some point soon. I am due to be starting college in September so I don't have my timetable yet.

Primark shifts for part time are 4 hours? I would want to do my shifts after college so i'd assume it would be 4pm-8pm? Since 8pm is when my local Primark store closes.

The issue is I don't know which days I will have a lesson last period because I don'y have my timetable yet. This is an issue because last period lessons finish at 4:15pm meaning I would not be able to have a shift that day.

So my question is: what should I tell my interviewer and would this effect my chances of being hired?
Original post by Admera
I'll have my Primark interview at some point soon. I am due to be starting college in September so I don't have my timetable yet.

Primark shifts for part time are 4 hours? I would want to do my shifts after college so i'd assume it would be 4pm-8pm? Since 8pm is when my local Primark store closes.

The issue is I don't know which days I will have a lesson last period because I don'y have my timetable yet. This is an issue because last period lessons finish at 4:15pm meaning I would not be able to have a shift that day.

So my question is: what should I tell my interviewer and would this effect my chances of being hired?

At my store the latest shift you can do is 5-9 and you just work one hour with the store closed. I would give her the most honest view of your avaliability as possible so they can give you the correct hours. They are really flexible so I doubt it will effect it too much plus you could always just get weekend hours
Do primark ring on withheld number? x
How long does it usually take for primark to get back to you after applying? I applied about a week ago and the closing date is today.
Original post by Maya memsaab
How long does it usually take for primark to get back to you after applying? I applied about a week ago and the closing date is today.

Not 100% sure I would leave it a couple more weeks and then if you’ve still heard nothing you could give them a ring x

They took just over a week for me
Original post by Admera
They took just over a week for me

You mean a week after the closing date?
You mean a week after the closing date?

No a week after I applied but my store didn't have a closing date. I think they're waiting for all the applications to come through and now they're processing them, I wouldn't stress they most likely will get back to you and if for some reason they don't then I can guarantee there is a better job opportunity for you waiting around the corner :smile:
Original post by Admera
No a week after I applied but my store didn't have a closing date. I think they're waiting for all the applications to come through and now they're processing them, I wouldn't stress they most likely will get back to you and if for some reason they don't then I can guarantee there is a better job opportunity for you waiting around the corner :smile:

Yeah you're probably right, thanks
For an interview at primark could I just show them a picture of my national insurance number? I have a picture of a payslip but don't have a physical copy.
For an interview at primark could I just show them a picture of my national insurance number? I have a picture of a payslip but don't have a physical copy.

For me I only needed ONE of the following:

Valid Passport
Birth Certificate
National insurance number

I haven't even received my national insurance number yet, so I brought both my passport and a copy of my birth certificate. If you get the job there's an online primark employee thing where you can input your national insurance number among other details. Did the person you called to schedule your interview tell you to bring your national insurance number?
I’m 14 years old ( year 10 ) and I would like to work at Primark as a part time job as Immy friend who is also 14 works there. Is that illegal is you work under 16 at Primark. I mean aged 14-15.
Hi, i have applied to primark online with my cv and cover letter. I also had to do the retail test/exam thing. I have applied 4 times but did not make it past the application round and i don't really know why. Could it be that i failed the test or my cv wasn't good?

Also i'm 16 and have little to no experience in retail.
Anyone can answer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending