The Student Room Group

Working at Primark - Q&A

Scroll to see replies

Hi guys! I just started to work in Primark today (first day of summer holidays in Scotland!) and i've been contracted to work on the tills & fitting rooms so far. I've ordered my uniform and everything today. Tomorrow I am getting phone training but I got thrown in the deep end on my induction today with another girl as three hours into our induction we were working on the tills till closing times but it helped! I was actually fine today but I got a couple of rude customers. An example is from a teenager, as she only gave me £5 and I said it's £10, she went I know with an attitude and sort of chucked the money at me. Another customer was shocked that in Scotland you have to pay for bags but I had some lovely customers today and the staff seem to be lovely and supportive as well.

I'm just worried sometimes as I did like 5 transactions (not together, as I forgot to put bag levy in the system.) and I nearly gave some the wrong change despite it being on the till?

They are updating my store next week by adding tablets for stock. which means everyone in the store will be learning. They are starting at the smaller stores. Has anyone got any tips for the tills and fitting rooms? Especially dealing with a whole load of change that a customer gives you and put it where the money goes. I haven't done fitting rooms yet but I've enjoyed my experience so far.

Also, when does the uniform come?

I'm also confused about the clock in system. If you need to take a break, do you press the OUT button or break as I was told you take the break button if you are doing a split shift (which I properly won't do!)
Reply 861
Original post by Smilingtribute
Hi guys! I just started to work in Primark today (first day of summer holidays in Scotland!) and i've been contracted to work on the tills & fitting rooms so far. I've ordered my uniform and everything today. Tomorrow I am getting phone training but I got thrown in the deep end on my induction today with another girl as three hours into our induction we were working on the tills till closing times but it helped! I was actually fine today but I got a couple of rude customers. An example is from a teenager, as she only gave me £5 and I said it's £10, she went I know with an attitude and sort of chucked the money at me. Another customer was shocked that in Scotland you have to pay for bags but I had some lovely customers today and the staff seem to be lovely and supportive as well.

I'm just worried sometimes as I did like 5 transactions (not together, as I forgot to put bag levy in the system.) and I nearly gave some the wrong change despite it being on the till?

They are updating my store next week by adding tablets for stock. which means everyone in the store will be learning. They are starting at the smaller stores. Has anyone got any tips for the tills and fitting rooms? Especially dealing with a whole load of change that a customer gives you and put it where the money goes. I haven't done fitting rooms yet but I've enjoyed my experience so far.

Also, when does the uniform come?

I'm also confused about the clock in system. If you need to take a break, do you press the OUT button or break as I was told you take the break button if you are doing a split shift (which I properly won't do!)

In regards to your breaks and clock-in system, this is what the numbers represent:

1 - For when you clock in (the start of your shift)

2 - For when you clock out (the end of your shift)

3 - The start of your break (midway during your shift e.g. 15:00)

4 - The end of your break (e.g. 16:00)

I don't know what you mean by giving wrong change, it's just as simple as picking up money from the till. Just take your time with it, if you make a mistake that's on you, no one's forcing you to hurry up (even if customers are doing so, it's your responsibility to make sure you're giving the right change). Personally, I always check the till screen what is the change, then I double-check and count the change in my hand and lastly triple-check that it is the right amount on the receipt (saved me at least twice and takes less then 5 seconds to do). Also, you'll get an email about your uniform and can take up to a month.

Oh also, fitting rooms are usually fun/hell depending on who the supervisor is. But generally time goes really quick and you're around (hopefully) a nice bunch of people.

Any other questions feel free to pm.
hey,
ive seen that you're familiar with working at primark and was wondering if you could give me some advice as i'm having my interview for a retail assistant very soon and i;m a bit nervous as this is my first proper job so i don't really have any experience and only have comments from teachers from a report as a reference.
i'm a 16 year old student who's just finished gcses and i have done volunteering at the library in the past but primark will be my first official job but i'm really excited at the idea of working there and really want this job as i know i would be good at it but this is all quite new to me and i'm still a bit unsure.

Original post by Javindo
There seem to have been a lot of openings at Primark lately so as an employee, feel free to ask me anything about the application/induction/training/work environment! :biggrin:

It's really good fun and I highly recommend it for anyone looking to gain retail experience
Hi, so I just got accepted to work for primark on a fixed term contract. However, I was hoping to work permanently and not one a fixed term basis. But I was wondering, am I still able to work permanently if I ask the staff manager?
Your manager will probably discuss it with you when your contract ends but I’ve heard other employees in my work had to go through an interview like the rest of the candidates when a vacancy pops up to get a permanent contract but it may be different at your store. However, welcome to Primark!
Original post by Lauren19997
Hi, so I just got accepted to work for primark on a fixed term contract. However, I was hoping to work permanently and not one a fixed term basis. But I was wondering, am I still able to work permanently if I ask the staff manager?
(edited 4 years ago)
once your contract has ended your manager will pull you for a review where they evaluate your time at primark and they decide whether they want to keep you on or not. Summer staff usually get kept on as you’re likely replacing people who’ve gone to uni but Christmas staff usually get let go around January time
Ahhhhh huge problem!! Okay so I wasn’t able to attend the induction day bc I was out of the city so I emailed the staff manager, asking to reschedule the induction. A few days later I log into my workday and find that my account has been terminated :frown: gah it’s so frustrating because I applied in January and they put me on reserve and now all that waiting to get the job was for no reason. So I panicked and I called the store and told them my situation and the lady asked me for my details and they still haven’t got back to me. Idk what to do ):
Reply 867
Original post by Lauren19997
Ahhhhh huge problem!! Okay so I wasn’t able to attend the induction day bc I was out of the city so I emailed the staff manager, asking to reschedule the induction. A few days later I log into my workday and find that my account has been terminated :frown: gah it’s so frustrating because I applied in January and they put me on reserve and now all that waiting to get the job was for no reason. So I panicked and I called the store and told them my situation and the lady asked me for my details and they still haven’t got back to me. Idk what to do ):

My induction at Primark was with about 20 other people so it's unlikely they would reschedule another induction day just for you.

Just wait to see if they get back to you and if they don't, it's an awful company to work for anyway
Original post by lemxn
My induction at Primark was with about 20 other people so it's unlikely they would reschedule another induction day just for you.

Just wait to see if they get back to you and if they don't, it's an awful company to work for anyway

This happened to a girl at my Primark. She couldn’t make the induction day with the newbies (it was only three of us) so they rescheduled for her the week after but she had hers on the Wednesday by herself despite being Weekend staff. Also, it depends on the store. My store is really good. I think you will be fine. Don’t worry!
Has anyone else’s store moved Returns and Exchanges to the till points? They are moving it to the tills from the customer service desk next Sunday in my store, and I think everyone on tills is getting trained on Saturday as most of us all start the same time on the day before the change. So I think we’re getting trained.
(edited 4 years ago)
I was just wondering if anyone could help me with something? Basically I work at primark and I bought these pj pants 5 days ago which I still haven’t worn, today in work I was serving a customer who had the same pjs pants however she had it has a set whereas when I bought it I only had the pants because it didn’t have a top and I didn’t know it came as a set. Would I be able to go to customer service and get a refund? I’ve got no way of proving that I only bought the pants except asking the person who served me to act as a witness but I doubt they’d even remember
Reply 871
Original post by Leahmitch
I was just wondering if anyone could help me with something? Basically I work at primark and I bought these pj pants 5 days ago which I still haven’t worn, today in work I was serving a customer who had the same pjs pants however she had it has a set whereas when I bought it I only had the pants because it didn’t have a top and I didn’t know it came as a set. Would I be able to go to customer service and get a refund? I’ve got no way of proving that I only bought the pants except asking the person who served me to act as a witness but I doubt they’d even remember

Normally this would be the person who served yous fault as they failed to tell you (or realise) it was part of a set. usually the price will give it away or it will say 2PK or something similar in the description. You could just talk to your supervisor or manager if you get the chance and tell them and see if they will let you do a swap.

You will definitely be able to get a refund as long as you have your receipt, and if they tell you its a two piece just tell them you was under the impression it was by itself and you wasnt told it was part of a set.
hi guys I signed up for overtime today, forgetting I have coursework due in the next day. I've asked people if they can cover it but no one can. What should I do? I could work it but I would really rather not
Reply 873
Original post by Admera
hi guys I signed up for overtime today, forgetting I have coursework due in the next day. I've asked people if they can cover it but no one can. What should I do? I could work it but I would really rather not

If you can't find anyone to cover I'm afraid you'll have to work, its too much hassle and will land you in trouble if you miss shifts.
Original post by Admera

You can ring your absence line and explain the situation to them. Ringing in will be much better than not showing up at all x
Reply 875
Original post by username210863
I recently started working at primark and I was just wondering what the "your score is..." thing means on the clock in machine?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wondering the same thing
Original post by SeanWilliams92
The pay at the Primark I work in is £4.37 p/h for under 18s and £6.08 for over 18s
You don't get any discounts

I get paid £11 an hour with a 15% discount

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending