The Student Room Group

advise: BTEC level 3 in science OK for applying for diagnostic radiography?

Hi all!

I'm looking for some advise as it can be a bit confusing out there!

Has anyone done a BTEC L3 Science & succeeded in getting an interview on a radiography course?

I already have a degree, a 1st class honors MA in Contemporary fine art from SHU. I combined my BA & MA studies together and graduated in 2010.

My A levels, completed in 2006, are AAB in Art, Sociology, Media & technology. I also have credits lying around from unfinished AS Levels in Physics & English Language at grades C & B. I also completed a level 3 qualifications at Sheffield University in Architecture whilst at 6th form n 2006 through an Aim Higher program.

My 12 GCSE's are all A* - C including AA in science.

I'm looking for a career change (even though I love art - you know how it is!) , and after a year of some work experience, i know that a career in radiography is where I wanna be! I love collaborating, and working with people, images, technology and want to make a difference!

I wanted to studying Diagnostic Radiography at Sheffield Hallam Uni but for next year entry requirements 2013 they won't accept sociology as a science like they do for this year. Which moves the goal posts soooo far away!

My science teacher from 6th form said I could take BTEC diploma Level 3 as a private candidate at the school I graduated from over this year, but even though SHU accepted BTECs as part of the science element for entry requirements for school leavers, they said I needed an A level in science because I have a degree? Which is really confusing!

I'm going to be applying for other universities. But I'm also worried that they might not accept the BTEC L3 in science as part of my science qualifications alongside my A Levels. I don't want to pay to do a qualification that won't help me in the long run.

ANY advise regarding radiography would be amazing! Thanks for taking the time to read this! :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by smizz
Hi all!

I'm looking for some advise as it can be a bit confusing out there!

Has anyone done a BTEC L3 Science & succeeded in getting an interview on a radiography course?

I already have a degree, a 1st class honors MA in Contemporary fine art from SHU. I combined my BA & MA studies together and graduated in 2010.

My A levels, completed in 2006, are AAB in Art, Sociology, Media & technology. I also have credits lying around from unfinished AS Levels in Physics & English Language at grades C & B. I also completed a level 3 qualifications at Sheffield University in Architecture whilst at 6th form n 2006 through an Aim Higher program.

My 12 GCSE's are all A* - C including AA in science.

I'm looking for a career change (even though I love art - you know how it is!) , and after a year of some work experience, i know that a career in radiography is where I wanna be! I love collaborating, and working with people, images, technology and want to make a difference!

I wanted to studying Diagnostic Radiography at Sheffield Hallam Uni but for next year entry requirements 2013 they won't accept sociology as a science like they do for this year. Which moves the goal posts soooo far away!

My science teacher from 6th form said I could take BTEC diploma Level 3 as a private candidate at the school I graduated from over this year, but even though SHU accepted BTECs as part of the science element for entry requirements for school leavers, they said I needed an A level in science because I have a degree? Which is really confusing!

I'm going to be applying for other universities. But I'm also worried that they might not accept the BTEC L3 in science as part of my science qualifications alongside my A Levels. I don't want to pay to do a qualification that won't help me in the long run.

ANY advise regarding radiography would be amazing! Thanks for taking the time to read this! :smile:

I've recently done a BTEC in applied Science, my college based it on Forensic Science but various colleges have different science aspects. I've been accepted on to a course for Diagnostic Radiography at Hertfordshire in september so in theory you should be able to get into uni's with a BTEC; i know some people think BTEC's are looked down on but if you really want to do the course and you show that in the UCAS application your be fine.

I had an advantage as one of my teachers for the BTEC was a radiographer so it meant that we had modules in radiography in the course meaning in my application I was able to go on about various pieces on radiography I had learnt about.

If your not sure why not call up the uni you want to go to and ask if they accepted Btec's???

Good luck :biggrin:!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending