The Student Room Group

Official Vacation Scheme Thread 2013 GET ON IT EARLY!!!

Scroll to see replies

The thing I dislike and find intensely irritating about the test is that it purports to be an objective method of measuring someone's intelligence, which is palpably wrong given that it is possible to fail it and yet pass other similar tests SHL for example. Plus I do struggle to see it having any use/relevance other than as an arbitrary filter.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1981
Anyone still waiting on a and o after their interview on 8/9 Jan?
2 things i'm wondering -

has anyone heard from mishcon? i only submitted my VS app a few days ago but i'd be grateful to hear from anyone about how long it took to receive any kind of response :smile:

how long do HSF take to get in touch after the verbal/logical reasoning tests if you get through to the next stage?
Original post by Pippaaa
2 things i'm wondering -

has anyone heard from mishcon? i only submitted my VS app a few days ago but i'd be grateful to hear from anyone about how long it took to receive any kind of response :smile:

how long do HSF take to get in touch after the verbal/logical reasoning tests if you get through to the next stage?

I'm still waiting on Mishcon, I submitted my app in November so I think we will be waiting a while!
Original post by chloelove101
I'm still waiting on Mishcon, I submitted my app in November so I think we will be waiting a while!

oh crikey! perhaps they're waiting until after the deadline?
Reply 1985
ok its been over a month for latham and HFW???!!! what is thisssss #tension
anyone had an assessment day at CMS? got mine soon and was hoping for some advice
Reply 1987
Original post by sanya123

Hold in there for Latham - I submitted my app 19/12 and got a PFO 7/1 - you're still in the running!
Reply 1988
Hello ... said a small quiet voice ...

I've been lurking not posting; only just started this GDL lark and went to Wragge's presentation evening last week. Eagerly waiting for an email from Eversheds for a telephone interview, and the next stage of Wragge's VC app (sat online tests for both). Other applications on the go, still waiting.

I guess into February there will be a torrent of emails, PFOs or nice ones, and the like?

Reply 1989
Original post by FiiS
Hello ... said a small quiet voice ...

I've been lurking not posting; only just started this GDL lark and went to Wragge's presentation evening last week. Eagerly waiting for an email from Eversheds for a telephone interview, and the next stage of Wragge's VC app (sat online tests for both). Other applications on the go, still waiting.

I guess into February there will be a torrent of emails, PFOs or nice ones, and the like?

I too am waiting on both of those firms. Although I feel it's getting a bit late to hear about the Eversheds telephone interview, but then again no one on here appears to have one lined up. How was the presentation?
Does anyone know which firms wait until after the deadline to look through apps aside from DLA and Pinsent Masons?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Pippaaa
2 things i'm wondering -

Hello! Welcome to legal careers :smile: When I applied to HSF (when they were just HS) for a TC, they took about a week to get in touch, telling me I hadn't actually taken the tests and my application was rejected :rolleyes: Then a quick email to HR pointed out I had actually taken the tests, then they told me that yes, they got it wrong, and then I waited a further 10 days for an invite to an assessment centre (with one day's notice :rolleyes:). I appreciate it was a busy time for them in the summer, but it made my blood pressure go through the roof :tongue: Good luck! :smile:
Reply 1992
Original post by AP1989
I too am waiting on both of those firms. Although I feel it's getting a bit late to hear about the Eversheds telephone interview, but then again no one on here appears to have one lined up. How was the presentation?

I'm encouraged that no-one here appears to have heard from Eversheds yet!

The presentation was rather relaxed (excellent buffet!). However I can't compare it with anything else. Was useful for me to chat to other students and trainees.
Interview invitation from Latham & Watkins!
When did you get it and when did you apply?

Original post by Lord Wilberforce
Interview invitation from Latham & Watkins!
Original post by tornado_1
When did you get it and when did you apply?

Applied mid November, heard on Friday! Good luck :wink:
Original post by sanya123

i've been waiting for HFW for 2 months and 1 week now:s-smilie:
Just finished Watson Glaser test for Hill Dickinson applied on the 7th of January for open day at their London office
Original post by suffocation1992
Hello! Welcome to legal careers :smile: When I applied to HSF (when they were just HS) for a TC, they took about a week to get in touch, telling me I hadn't actually taken the tests and my application was rejected :rolleyes: Then a quick email to HR pointed out I had actually taken the tests, then they told me that yes, they got it wrong, and then I waited a further 10 days for an invite to an assessment centre (with one day's notice :rolleyes:). I appreciate it was a busy time for them in the summer, but it made my blood pressure go through the roof :tongue: Good luck! :smile:

I had that problem with HSF to. It's because they have a policy that you should only take the tests once in that academic year, but that doesn't seem to have been carried through by SHL.

I applied for the VS and did the tests but was rejected, and then applied for a TC. I think the confirmation email said to ignore the SHL test link if you'd done the tests, but after I received a subsequent SHL email saying my application had been withdrawn for failure to complete the tests, I had to email HR. They were really good, but it sounded like my application had been flagged for rejection and they had to override it. Definitely contact them ASAP if you think there's been a mistake over the tests!
Original post by Tortious
I had that problem with HSF to. It's because they have a policy that you should only take the tests once in that academic year, but that doesn't seem to have been carried through by SHL.

I applied for the VS and did the tests but was rejected, and then applied for a TC. I think the confirmation email said to ignore the SHL test link if you'd done the tests, but after I received a subsequent SHL email saying my application had been withdrawn for failure to complete the tests, I had to email HR. They were really good, but it sounded like my application had been flagged for rejection and they had to override it. Definitely contact them ASAP if you think there's been a mistake over the tests!

Tortious, is that really you on the picture? :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending