The Student Room Group

Official Vacation Scheme Thread 2013 GET ON IT EARLY!!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SemperParatus
Do law firms not come to your campus? I swear we've had 1-2 firms every weekday for the past 3-4 weeks. For someone coming from a non-targeted uni, I can somewhat see this. But still all the HR BS is on the internet and researchable to anyone with half a brain. If you think that something like this "will get your name out there," you'd be much better off staying late at a campus presentation.

I mean think about what you just said--you are paying for what law firms already do--presentations, panel discussions and workshops. If you want a meal, go spend 1/3 of that on a 2 for 10 at Tesco and you got yourself two nights of meals + a bottle of wine.

Yes I do come from a non-targeted uni and have no law fairs here and no law firms attend the university so it is likely to be helpful for me. I spoke to a law firm I was hoping to apply to quite recently at a law fair at another university (not all universities actually allow external students) and I found the information that he told me was extremely helpful.

This wasn't 'to get my name out there' at all although it is helpful if someone recognises you, as unlikely as that may be!

But thanks for your opinion- what stage are u at in applying/VC'S/ TC's if you don't mind me asking.
Do law firms not come to your campus? I swear we've had 1-2 firms every weekday for the past 3-4 weeks. For someone coming from a non-targeted uni, I can somewhat see this. But still all the HR BS is on the internet and researchable to anyone with half a brain. If you think that something like this "will get your name out there," you'd be much better off staying late at a campus presentation.

I mean think about what you just said--you are paying for what law firms already do--presentations, panel discussions and workshops. If you want a meal, go spend 1/3 of that on a 2 for 10 at Tesco and you got yourself two nights of meals + a bottle of wine.

You can rest assured I've been to plenty of graduate recruitment events in my time.

Incidentally, after so many of these events you come to realise that the best way to cut through the "HR BS" as you so eloquently describe it is to talk to people face-to-face, in a friendly environment, where they want to talk to you, and you want to talk to them.

Browsing their websites doesn't give you that opportunity, nor does bombarding graduate recruitment with phone calls or emails, nor does collaring a busy partner after a campus presentation; they would rather be on their way home than answering smarmy questions from a potential applicant.

So what better than an organised event, with multiple law firms in attendance, which does provide such an opportunity?
Reply 382
Rejected post verbal and inductive reasoning tests for Herbert Smith - expected it tbh.
Rejected from A&O winter scheme. Pretty disappointed although I know how tough they are.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 384
Original post by mirin?
Rejected post verbal and inductive reasoning tests for Herbert Smith - expected it tbh.

Sorry to hear about that. I also expect a rejection soon lol. When did you complete your verbal and inductive reasoning test? The inductive reasoning was ridiculous in my opinion.
rejection from Eversheds, seems to me like they want negligent trainees who cant be bothered to work late and wantonly offload their responsibilities to other people. What a stupid test.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by hunter7337
rejection from Eversheds, seems to me like they want negligent trainees who cant be bothered to work late and wantonly offload their responsibilities to other people. What a stupid test.

This. I think they're really killing their applicant pool by disqualifying on the basis of that test.
This. I think they're really killing their applicant pool by disqualifying on the basis of that test.

Could not agree more- would be fascinated to see what answers were correct!
Original post by hunter7337
Could not agree more- would be fascinated to see what answers were correct!

I generally don't have a problem with verbal reasoning tests/critical reasoning tests. I do think its a bit odd to objectify an inherently subjective skill, but for the most part...someone who can get AAA-AAB can pass them. But some SJT that asks you whether you'd email X person instead of Y person? Just lol. Oh well, guess you won't be getting that secondment to their Baghdad office!
Reply 389
I was also rejected from their SJ and thought my answers seemed highly appropriate!

I dont have a problem with VR tests either- the Freshfields one was ok and i suppose it helps cut down their applicant pool. Havent heard back yet but i wait with bated breath on that one... Re SJT, I thought my answers were pretty reasonable! Clearly not. Its the most moronic test I have ever taken.
Reply 391
HSF assesment day :smile:
Original post by Balagan
HSF assesment day :smile:

If you don't mind me asking, how long did it take for you to find out after taking verbal & logical reasoning? Thanks!
Reply 393
Has anyone heard back from blp or travers smith for winter vacs?

Reply 394
Original post by olivia879

Nein! Sadly.
Reply 395
Original post by cynthialf
If you don't mind me asking, how long did it take for you to find out after taking verbal & logical reasoning? Thanks!

took about a week!
Reply 396
Original post by OldOyster
Nein! Sadly.

When did you apply if you don't mind me asking? I'm starting to get worried that no news is bad news..

Reply 397
Original post by olivia879

Im also still waiting from Travers Smith - applied about 2 weeks ago.

Agreed. Spend it at tesco or M&S. Please don't waste your money on law firm panel discussions, all of that is readily available online and at Open Days.
Original post by inspired username

So what better than an organised event, with multiple law firms in attendance, which does provide such an opportunity?

Well if you'd done your research you'd have known about the Bright Commercial Law Network event earlier in the law - same thing but entirely free...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending