The Student Room Group

Official Vacation Scheme Thread 2013 GET ON IT EARLY!!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Started my research today.

Anyone attending the Bright Network event? Looking forward to this!
Original post by haaaza23
Started my research today.

Anyone attending the Bright Network event? Looking forward to this!

This is actually a really good event, I'd say it was more useful than my university's law fair which is basically a scrum, soo many people in a tiny hall! You get to meet a lot of the firms on a personal level. Make the most of it and meet as many people as you can. I remember having quite a good chat with one of the trainees from one firm at this event and ended up sitting in their department during my vac scheme the following summer.
(edited 11 years ago)
Are any of you guys applying to US firms (based in London)? Skadden looks like an attractive firm to apply to. :ninja:
Reply 43
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
Are any of you guys applying to US firms (based in London)? Skadden looks like an attractive firm to apply to. :ninja:

I am going for Jones Day and White & Case...they're the only two US firms which appeal to me.

Can't go too wrong with Skadden though!
So how many firms are people thinking of applying too? I'm not sure yet....
As if this thread title isn't a pun. Lawyers get more boring every year :awesome:
Reply 46
Original post by hardy_4_paws
So how many firms are people thinking of applying too? I'm not sure yet....

I'm applying to 10...not sure whether that's a good or bad move, but only time will tell.
Original post by I so academic
As if this thread title isn't a pun. Lawyers get more boring every year :awesome:

It's not our fault the OP was unimaginative. :ashamed2:
Reply 48
I'm applying to 10...not sure whether that's a good or bad move, but only time will tell.

Who are you going to apply to? All london ones?
Reply 49
Original post by flaresamc
Who are you going to apply to? All london ones?

I am applying to Jones Day, White & Case, Freshfields, Norton Rose, CMS, Linklaters, Simmons & Simmons, Slaughter and May, Clifford Chance and Pritchard Englefield.

Ambitious, I know! How about you?
Reply 50
Hey guys,

This is really early to start! Maybe it would be good to get a list together of the firms that are actually open to applications at the moment?

I have only found one that is open to applications for vac scheme 2013 now:
Jones Day.

If anyone else knows of any, it could be really handy and save us some time.

Please add to the list if you know any!

xx
Reply 51
I am planning to apply to ca 17 firms but I too think this is a bit early as most seem to open their positions in Oct/Nov...
Reply 52
I am applying to Jones Day, White & Case, Freshfields, Norton Rose, CMS, Linklaters, Simmons & Simmons, Slaughter and May, Clifford Chance and Pritchard Englefield.

Ambitious, I know! How about you?

I'm also planning on applying to CMS but I am not a London fan so going to apply to the large to medium Birmingham and West Midlands firms.

To those of you saying it is too early:
I know it's too early to apply to them but I'm trying to be really organised this year, so I have a spreadsheet of firms with their office locations, VS applications open and close dates, TC applications open and close dates etc. so I can do them as soon as they open and get them out of the way :smile:
Reply 53
It is too early...but I managed to download the app forms for TC during summer and I know that some firms use exactly the same questions. I am already planning my answers; no harm in doing this before we can even apply!
Reply 54
A quick question about references: do they take them after you get an offer or during the process? And are they really very important in the selection? Asking because eg in investment banking they only need a reference to check if you really worked there etc afaik
Original post by lilys
A quick question about references: do they take them after you get an offer or during the process? And are they really very important in the selection? Asking because eg in investment banking they only need a reference to check if you really worked there etc afaik

It varies from firm to firm. Some firms ask for references as a step in the application process and some ask for references when they have made a decision to make an offer - as part of their pre-employment checks.
Original post by I so academic

Where's the pun?
Original post by Starsky1985
Where's the pun?

That was my point...
Reply 58
It is too early...but I managed to download the app forms for TC during summer and I know that some firms use exactly the same questions. I am already planning my answers; no harm in doing this before we can even apply!

Ah crap! :mad: I meant to do that but forgot! I opened loads of applications when looking around for firms for a TC just to see what the questions were like and forgot to save them. Instead I just looked at the questions and quickly clicked close in horror.

And now I have no TC, never had a VC :frown: ****ty situation.
Reply 59
Original post by AuburnGem
Ah crap! :mad: I meant to do that but forgot! I opened loads of applications when looking around for firms for a TC just to see what the questions were like and forgot to save them. Instead I just looked at the questions and quickly clicked close in horror.

And now I have no TC, never had a VC :frown: ****ty situation.

Same here, getting ready for round two...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending