The Student Room Group

Official Vacation Scheme Thread 2013 GET ON IT EARLY!!!

Scroll to see replies

Great thanks, got it. I registered before but the Vac Scheme in London 2013 did not appear in the search results for vacancies!
What up guys. I'm joining the hunt.

:colonhash:

Struggling to believe that people started applying early enough to generate 50 pages of chat already, even on here. No-one at my college started applying until term finished.
(edited 11 years ago)
Just got a Summer Vac Scheme offer from Simmons & Simmons! :biggrin:
Original post by Client_Space

Congrats :biggrin:
Reply 984

Congrats! When was your interview out of interest?
Original post by mc13177
Congrats! When was your interview out of interest?

Applied 9/11, Interview on 6/12, heard back about an hour ago :smile:
Elated to have an offer for a Summer Vacation Scheme at Simmons & Simmons!

Posted from TSR Mobile

My offer is for 24 June to 12 July 2013, how about yours?

And congratulations!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by midnightL
My offer is for 24 June to 12 July 2013, how about yours?

And congratulations!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, you too!

They've offered me 15 July - 02 August. At the interview they said they're pretty flexible about changing dates this early in the process. So I'm yet to decide when I'll end up doing it.

Wow, so I'm doing my Simmons application now and just saw two people have already been offered a placement, am I too late to bother applying?

I actually came here to ask what exactly to include in the work experience section of applications? Can you include voluntary positions?

Reading this thread has made me terrified now :frown: But still, hi everyone!
Reply 990
Original post by lattywatty
Wow, so I'm doing my Simmons application now and just saw two people have already been offered a placement, am I too late to bother applying?

I actually came here to ask what exactly to include in the work experience section of applications? Can you include voluntary positions?

Pull yourself together, man.

Aww don't be! If it makes you feel any better I've graduated.

If the application is still open then 100% give it your best shot, my advice would be don't leave rolling application deadlines to the deadline (like Simmons & Simmons) as you will be competing for fewer places with more students.

Well true for most firms I think Simmons actually just have a pass mark at interview. Regardless, best of luck!

mL

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wouldn't worry about it, just apply as soon as you can. Prioritise firms with rolling applications. Me and mL were on one of the first Assessment centres for S&S, so I wouldn't worry about them filling all their spots just yet.
Okay cheers guys, I'll get on it this week!

Back to my other question, would you put volunteering in the work experience section of applications or just talk about when answering other competency questions?

Congratulations! Well done, that's great news. Fingers crossed for your other applications (that I PMd you about :smile: ). Enjoy your Christmas break :smile:
Original post by Smashedin
Pull yourself together, man.

Smashedin! You're back!
How many apps are people planning on doing? Ive done about 30 but only got 3 interviews, dont know whether to plough on or just take my foot off the gas
Original post by hunter7337
How many apps are people planning on doing? Ive done about 30 but only got 3 interviews, dont know whether to plough on or just take my foot off the gas

This is a good strategy, in my opinion. A lot of people on here will probably attack you for applying for too many. But this is a tough market. I can give you two reasons why you are hitting the right amount of applications:
1. Look at last year's thread where some people only applied to 4-5 who were left with no offers and are now re-applying. Bet they wish they applied to more, huh?
2. I was on an assessment centre with a kid who is now doing his LPC. He's applied for vac schemes 3 years in a row now. He has only applied to 3-4 firms each year. He's a decent candidate...a little awkward, but has his all the right stats.

If you are throwing out 15+ applications, just make sure to pick 2-3 places where you really focus on a strong application. You'll be golden.
Okay cheers guys, I'll get on it this week!

Back to my other question, would you put volunteering in the work experience section of applications or just talk about when answering other competency questions?

I think I did, for some charity work.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SemperParatus
This is a good strategy, in my opinion. A lot of people on here will probably attack you for applying for too many. But this is a tough market. I can give you two reasons why you are hitting the right amount of applications:
1. Look at last year's thread where some people only applied to 4-5 who were left with no offers and are now re-applying. Bet they wish they applied to more, huh?
2. I was on an assessment centre with a kid who is now doing his LPC. He's applied for vac schemes 3 years in a row now. He has only applied to 3-4 firms each year. He's a decent candidate...a little awkward, but has his all the right stats.

If you are throwing out 15+ applications, just make sure to pick 2-3 places where you really focus on a strong application. You'll be golden.

Well im glad you agree! It irritates me when law firms say do no more than 5. The whole process is so arbitrary. There are about 6 firms that I really like and have consequently spent more time on. But in all honesty once youve done a few it becomes much easier, one para on ECs/PORs can be reused time after time. Make no mistake im not doing a "scatter gun"/"one size fits all" approach, I have tailored each app as best I can and it seems to have worked. The rejections seem to be flowing now though, now on 7...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending