The Student Room Group

Official Vacation Scheme Thread 2013 GET ON IT EARLY!!!

Scroll to see replies

#freshfieldsinterview
Reply 1381
ok i have to get an interview about now. think i am gonna drive myself CRAZYY
Reply 1382
Original post by Lawyer2bgirl
HI.

Which firms do not accept your TC application if you have been rejected for a VS? I belive Slaughter & May take this approach and Simmons.

Thanks,

Hi there,

I would always divide the law firms into two categories: those that look at all applications individually, even in the same recruitment cycle and those that have a policy of 'dual' applications.

You must also clarify at what stage you get rejected. Generally, if you are rejected on an application stage than you can reapply BUT as long as you modified your application form and improved it. This is just common sense because there were reasons for rejecting your first application.

However, if your application was successful and you were rejected in one of the later stages, such as phone interview or an AC, than it is completely different. I had the experience with BLP, where I applied for a TC one year but was unsuccessful in the end. I then reapplied and got a phone interview for a VS with them next year BUT because I didn't get through that stage they said I could not reapply in the same cycle/year.

The final thing to remember is that all Magic Circle and most City law firms have the policy of 'one strike, out'. This means that if you attended they AC/interview and were unsuccessful than there is almost no chance of you getting a AC/interview in the future. I was told that almost explicitly in Freshfields, Slaughter and May and Linklaters. Of course, there is a chance but it is very slim and you may have to show that after you graduated you worked in the commercial/business world for some time and developed more experience.

I hope this helps.

All the best,

Erus35.
Reply 1383
Slaughter and May summer work experience interview. :smile: Anyone else?
Original post by erus35
Hi there,

I would always divide the law firms into two categories: those that look at all applications individually, even in the same recruitment cycle and those that have a policy of 'dual' applications.

You must also clarify at what stage you get rejected. Generally, if you are rejected on an application stage than you can reapply BUT as long as you modified your application form and improved it. This is just common sense because there were reasons for rejecting your first application.

However, if your application was successful and you were rejected in one of the later stages, such as phone interview or an AC, than it is completely different. I had the experience with BLP, where I applied for a TC one year but was unsuccessful in the end. I then reapplied and got a phone interview for a VS with them next year BUT because I didn't get through that stage they said I could not reapply in the same cycle/year.

The final thing to remember is that all Magic Circle and most City law firms have the policy of 'one strike, out'. This means that if you attended they AC/interview and were unsuccessful than there is almost no chance of you getting a AC/interview in the future. I was told that almost explicitly in Freshfields, Slaughter and May and Linklaters. Of course, there is a chance but it is very slim and you may have to show that after you graduated you worked in the commercial/business world for some time and developed more experience.

I hope this helps.

All the best,

Erus35.

Unsure re Links, Slaughters and BLP but I was told by a FBD partner to reapply for a TC after being rejected post interview for a vac scheme. Policy may well have changed.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1385
Anyone heard from CMS, Olswang or Farrer?
Original post by TChunter
Anyone heard from CMS, Olswang or Farrer?

Been waiting on Olswang since October and I did the CMS SHL test on the 29th December. Does anyone know how quickly they would get back to you if you fail/dont do well enough? With Lovells it was 2 days
Yep - got through to Cleary Gottlieb AC as well!! Applied last week, got my invitation this afternoon
Original post by Lew1

Well done! Me too. When is yours?
Original post by erus35
Hi there,

I hope this helps.

All the best,

Erus35.

Not sure if this is correct for Freshfields, especially considering the fact that they only take on 40 vac schemers but 100 trainees.
Original post by Lew1

Congratulations! What date did you apply to Slaughters, if you don't mind me asking?
Reply 1391
Does anyone know how many open days Cleary holds as part of the vacation scheme process? Is it just the one? I won't be in the UK on the day of the Open Day they have offered me so I was wondering if there are any other open days.
Original post by vs123
Does anyone know how many open days Cleary holds as part of the vacation scheme process? Is it just the one? I won't be in the UK on the day of the Open Day they have offered me so I was wondering if there are any other open days.

Hi - the one that I'm attending to is on the 14th. but i saw somewhere that there are two days available. just email them and ask.
Reply 1393
Original post by Law Undergrad
Hi - the one that I'm attending to is on the 14th. but i saw somewhere that there are two days available. just email them and ask.

I just did and they already replied :smile: There's one on Feb 4th so I'm on that one now. Good luck with yours!
I got an SHL test invite from RPC. Not sure if they send everyone that, or filter applications before asking for the test. Applied 22/11, got the test invite today.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by vs123
I just did and they already replied :smile: There's one on Feb 4th so I'm on that one now. Good luck with yours!

thanks! you as well!!!
Original post by yomi91
Interesting strategy, however you can't get a TC without any legal work experience can you. I have zilch work experience

I had no legal work experience at all before I did a vac scheme. Intead, I focussed on 'real world' work experience that I'd had in the past; retail/bar work. I couldn't really be bothered to go and sit in a personal injury firm for a week making the tea when I was so busy in second year, just for the sake of getting 'legal work experience.' Thankfully it paid off to get the vac scheme, so don't worry too much about it.
Original post by Dohrean
Also interview with Herbert Smith Freehills! applied 18th dec, got the invite this morning - guess they're sending out emails today.

Well done Dohrean! But also good luck, I found their assessment day really tough and a bit OTT compared to other firms in all honesty (interviewed there in the summer). Apparently they overhauled their assessment day last year due to feedback. I think I remember it being 8AM-2PM with very little time at all for breaks/eating something and being basically shuttled around from one room to another like cattle. I may have just been in a bad mood/sleep deprived that particular day though as I was also working in the summer in between interviews :tongue:.

So make sure you eat your Weetabix and get plenty of sleep! You've done well to get past their (in my view, silly number of) online exercises! :smile:
Original post by kath03
I got an invitation for the Cleary Gottlieb open day/AC last night, did anyone else get this as well? It says no advance prep is required.. there will be an interview + other tests though. If anyone has attended an open day with them, any general tips would be much appreciated!! :smile:

Completely off-topic and just a silly anecdote for entertainment purposes, but I was out recently and we were in a bar and a woman, I'd say in her 30s, overheard me say 'barrister' - she drunkenly came running over and asked if I was a pupil like her (lol) and I said no. We got chatting and I told her I was starting as a trainee next year. She then drunkenly told me to save my soul and take as much time off as possible before starting a training contract(nothing to do with my firm, just corporate law in general apparently) and then went into a very emotive speech about how she trained at Cleary and was 'haunted' by the experience (apparently she hates law so much she thought being a barrister would be different :rolleyes: ).

You meet some interesting people!
Original post by suffocation1992
Completely off-topic and just a silly anecdote for entertainment purposes, but I was out recently and we were in a bar and a woman, I'd say in her 30s, overheard me say 'barrister' - she drunkenly came running over and asked if I was a pupil like her (lol) and I said no. We got chatting and I told her I was starting as a trainee next year. She then drunkenly told me to save my soul and take as much time off as possible before starting a training contract(nothing to do with my firm, just corporate law in general apparently) and then went into a very emotive speech about how she trained at Cleary and was 'haunted' by the experience (apparently she hates law so much she thought being a barrister would be different :rolleyes: ).

You meet some interesting people!

Did she actually qualify as a solicitor then? I'd have thought it'd be pretty easy to take another set of exams (almost like the QLTT) and switch between the two professions. It sounds like she decided to leave early...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending