The Student Room Group

Official Vacation Scheme Thread 2013 GET ON IT EARLY!!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Aquinas
How long did it take people who took the Clifford Chance verbal reasoning test to get an answer back? Same with Linklaters?

I haven't seen that anyone has heard back from CC, although I could be wrong....

As their applications are only open for one month I assumed they'd wait until the deadline (which is tues next week I think), but again I could be completely wrong.....
Reply 1581
Original post by Aquinas
How long did it take people who took the Clifford Chance verbal reasoning test to get an answer back? Same with Linklaters?

I think Clifford Chance only answers back after the deadline.
Reply 1582
Original post by BaderT
Phone interview with PwC Legal - has anyone done this or experienced it- any tips would be great-

Congrats! Have you confirmed a time and date for the telephone interview?

I only ask as I was told I got through to this stage almost a month ago but have not been asked to select a time yet.
Quick questions folks, does anybody know if Slaughter and May offer their places on a rolling basis?

It's just that I have a Freshfields interview and a Slaughters interview and I want to do one before the rush of first supervision work starts and one just after all of my first supervisions have finished in early Feb!
Original post by Cast.Iron
Quick questions folks, does anybody know if Slaughter and May offer their places on a rolling basis?

It's just that I have a Freshfields interview and a Slaughters interview and I want to do one before the rush of first supervision work starts and one just after all of my first supervisions have finished in early Feb!

Apparently so, although I have no idea (i) how up-to-date this information is; or (ii) whether it only applies to training contracts.
Reply 1585
Original post by AT67
Hi everyone, I'm currently applying for summer internships as a second year non-lawyer and I was wondering if there's a good place online to look at in-depth examples of legal cases. I've looked at the legal press, but I'm nervous as a non-lawyer about how much I know about the detail and strategy that lies behind these cases.

Also, I'm worried about my lack of extra-curricular activities, I'm involved in debating at university, I'm a member of a sports team and I write for the student newspaper but I've never had a proper position of responsibility or really any major achievements since school. I've got a good academic record but is a position of responsibility essential?

You need to spin your extra curriculars to your advantage; let's be honest only a handful of people have genuine positions of responsibility so you shouldn't be at too much of a disadvantage there.

As a non-lawyer you have some advantages, for example you can have certain valuable insights on financial matters if you're going for that kind of law.

Mainly just try and draw from any experiences you may have had that will show them that you have the potential they're looking for. If you've shown any instances of leadership or initiative in sports or writing for the student newspaper, that's a good place to start.

If you've not got positions of responsibility that are recent, you can include ones from your A-Levels and emphasise other areas from University. I went from the angle of my background in sports, then drew from experiences I've had abroad, in interviewing people for student publications and from student radio. There are more things they look for than just leadership, for example excellent communication and analytical skills to name just one.

To clarify, I'm also from a non-law background. Use it to your advantage.
Reply 1586
Original post by vs123
I think Clifford Chance only answers back after the deadline.

Original post by legalwannabe

I haven't seen that anyone has heard back from CC, although I could be wrong....

As their applications are only open for one month I assumed they'd wait until the deadline (which is tues next week I think), but again I could be completely wrong.....

Cheers you two.

I hadn't either, but just wanted to make sure. Does anyone know the percentage they (CC) ask for interviews etc?

Still waiting on a response from Linklaters. Did some good networking with them, so fingers crossed.
Reply 1587
Original post by suited

I only ask as I was told I got through to this stage almost a month ago but have not been asked to select a time yet.

yea ive confirmed a day and time- the available days were 21/22 of January.
You should get in touch with them, seems peculiar- they send me an email 1 after the first - insisting that i choose a date and time ASAP.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by suited

That's unusual. Login and check if you have a task remaining. If not, contact them: 0808 100 1500

They should get back to you within 5 working days, and when they do, your application should be updated straight away to allow you to book a time and date on their system.
Reply 1589
Hi all!

I have have a telephone interview coming up, just wondered if there is any good websites anyone would recommend which has decent articles specific to law firms - I am aware of Lawyer2b and The Lawyer - but just curious if there are any other ones? Any help would be appreciated!

Reply 1590
Original post by BaderT
yea ive confirmed a day and time- the available days were 21/22 of January.
You should get in touch with them, seems peculiar- they send me an email 1 after the first - insisting that i choose a date and time ASAP.

Original post by Ape Gone Insane
That's unusual. Login and check if you have a task remaining. If not, contact them: 0808 100 1500

They should get back to you within 5 working days, and when they do, your application should be updated straight away to allow you to book a time and date on their system.

Thanks for the responses. Got on the phone to them and they simply said dates weren't available but they'll follow it up and let me know.

Very strange...but still nice of them to email me and wish me a happy xmas I guess.

Edit: They were quick to call back. Interview booked.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1591
Original post by rooket
Hi all!

I have have a telephone interview coming up, just wondered if there is any good websites anyone would recommend which has decent articles specific to law firms - I am aware of Lawyer2b and The Lawyer - but just curious if there are any other ones? Any help would be appreciated!

check legal week and the legal sections of the The Guardian, Independent, etc - you can search what firms have been involved in recent deals in the business papers- FT etc-

if you dont mind, what law firm is it?
Has anyone applied to/heard back from DLA Piper?
Reply 1593
Original post by BaderT
check legal week and the legal sections of the The Guardian, Independent, etc - you can search what firms have been involved in recent deals in the business papers- FT etc-

if you dont mind, what law firm is it?

Thanks for the advice! I have seen The Independent section, which was very helpful, but have noticed its not daily? Do you happen to know how frequent it is or is it just ad hoc?

It's for Schillings, not the biggest firm in the world - which, is probably why it is difficult to get some research on them, but they have had some significant cases.
Original post by rooket
Thanks for the advice! I have seen The Independent section, which was very helpful, but have noticed its not daily? Do you happen to know how frequent it is or is it just ad hoc?

It's for Schillings, not the biggest firm in the world - which, is probably why it is difficult to get some research on them, but they have had some significant cases.

I know the Times has a regular law section (it's either a Tues or a Thurs, can never remember which....) and some of the business pages can help too.

There's also legalweek, but I think there's a limit to what you can read without being a subscriber.
Reply 1595
CMS PFO
Reply 1596
S&M PFO
Reply 1597
Original post by Denning Darling
Kudos for your username if it stands for what I think it does - Please Don't F Off?

Exactly right, thought I'd bring a bit of positive thinking to this years proceedings :wink:
Reply 1598
Simmons & Simmons are such swines, they have a question that's effectively 'why law/what skills/why S&S' in 250 words!

Thanks guys, I dont know why i couldnt figure this out

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending