The Student Room Group

Official Vacation Scheme Thread 2013 GET ON IT EARLY!!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1780
Original post by Client_Space
Just got a Weil interview invitation! (on a saturday night?!)

Now to figure out how "Weil, Gotshal & Manges" is actually pronounced before the interview...

Congratulations on your Weil interview! Hope it goes well.
So I've got two interviews this week, with Slaughter & May and Lovells for their summer schemes. I'm pretty nervous about it as they'd only be my second/third interviews for a vac....:frown: - would love to hear any advice or insight from people who've already done interviews with the firms or just general tips and advice!!
Reply 1782
Addleshaw Goddard, anyone?
For the simmons AC did people write notes during reading the document exercise or is it best just to take it in?
So I noticed a few errors in my Nabarro application, not counting on getting that back.

Does anyone know how long Ashurst take to respond?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1785
Original post by midnightL
So I noticed a few errors in my Nabarro application, not counting on getting that back.

Does anyone know how long Ashurst take to respond?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ashurst got back to me quite swiftly with a PFO after initial application. I think I received the email within 3 days.

Good luck.
So many vacation scheme applications to do!!!!!!!
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
I think it's only limited if she wanted to stay in Scotland for her career. The degree itself will not limit applying to other firms, especially the bigger ones which will fund a year picking up the few relevant English modules (Obligations, Criminal & Land/Equity). Some will have Vacation Schemes open to 'non-law' too. Though it's a commercial/corporate firm, Clifford Chance explicitly states: The term 'law' refers to English law. Any other degree, including Scottish law, is considered non-law.

Though on a personal level, I'm still waiting on a reply as to where a dual qualification in Scottish and English Law falls. I completely forgot to ask at the Law Fair and the deadline is in two days. :sad:

You at Dundee by chance :tongue: That's the only place I know that does the dual law. That was my insurance but too poor to go to Dundee. See my issue is I specifically wanna do family law and most of the big ones in England are for commercial, plus I don't really wanna move to England lol.
Reply 1788
Original post by OldOyster
This thread is really for those pursuing a career as a solicitor...BUT it is a tough situation to be in. I have been in similar ones where people have indicated they would be willing to help me out with work experience, but then closer to the time have pulled out or never got back to me. The best advice I can give is to keep trying and eventually you will find someone who can help you out. The other thing is to network. Ask your family and friends if they know of anyone in the medical profession who could help you out, even if it is just for a day. This would represent a good starting point and will help you secure further work in the future.

Good luck.

Sorry for asking the question in the wrong forum. Thanks a lot for all your help. I should take the advice on board. Much appreciated :smile:
Has anyone done the Herbert Smith vac scheme assessment centre yet? If so what does the interview involve? I've heard that although it is called a "competency interview" it is not based around the usual competency questions.
Original post by kurt123
Sorry for asking the question in the wrong forum. Thanks a lot for all your help. I should take the advice on board. Much appreciated :smile:

Don't worry about it! Sorry my help could only be so generic!
Reply 1791
PFO from Slaughter. Hmmm...
Reply 1792
Anyone heard from A and O since their interview last week?
Reply 1793
Hey,

For anyone who has had a Weil interview and is based in London - are these all held in Cambridge? Or has anyone had one in London? Don't fancy the trek if I'm honest...
Original post by ihkl4evz
Hey,

For anyone who has had a Weil interview and is based in London - are these all held in Cambridge? Or has anyone had one in London? Don't fancy the trek if I'm honest...

LOL bro. Don't fancy the trek for a job that pays 97k on qualification? Enjoy Eversheds Cambridge!
Hogan Lovells Summer Vac Scheme offer :colone:
Original post by Lord Wilberforce

Links, W&C, and now Hogan Lovells - that's mighty impressive! Congrats!! You're going to have a busy summer :smile:
Original post by Client_Space
Links, W&C, and now Hogan Lovells - that's mighty impressive! Congrats!! You're going to have a busy summer :smile:

Thanks bro! Wish you all the best. Have you had positive news so far? Fingers crossed!

Reckon you'll fit them all in? :tongue: Congrats!
Thanks bro! Wish you all the best. Have you had positive news so far? Fingers crossed!

Yep, it's been pretty positive so far :smile: Offers from Links & Simmons for Summer (might see you at Links!), and a Freshfields work placement in Easter. Waiting to hear back from a few places post interview.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending